Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Interesting piece on the state of the roads of Ireland, something that affects a great many citizens on a daily basis. But why was yer man allowed to rabbit on about motorways and by passes for so long, when the great bulk of rural dwellers never go near these? Instead, we must endure broken, lumpy, bumpy dangerous minor roads for our daily travels.

That TD was quite right yesterday, fix the roads and reduce road deaths that way first.

S'OR was entertaining this morning - heard retiring Peter Boylan of National Maternity Hospital calling the abortion issue out clear. No equivocation - it should be left to the woman's/ couples conscience.

You could sense O'Rourke shifting nervously in the seat but Boylan was firm in his views from the heat of the cockpit - let the woman decide and those that don't agree, well don't avail of the service. S'OR followed up with the few obligatory texts of protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I'm not sure, given John's history of getting things wrong and sheepishly apologising when he's got it wrong, that he is the best proponent to bring on air batting for his.

John Fitzgerald of ESRI getting stuffed this morning re electricity connectors. Seriously how do you take reports from ESRI seriously when they appear to be years behind in thought? He's well paid I'm sure, well paid enough to research before he pontificates.

Weren't ESRI the people who brought out a report on social welfare payments a few years ago that reflected badly on the government of the day and it was quickly dropped like a hot potato. Some independence there.

As for NI and their electricity needs, hardly a burning issue for the Republic. Let Arlene get onto her buddies in Westminster and complain if the lights go out. Pah!

Ah the bould Mick Barry - let everyone else pay for my water and sh*te. And my housing. And me beer and fags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

As for NI and their electricity needs, hardly a burning issue for the Republic. Let Arlene get onto her buddies in Westminster and complain if the lights go out. Pah!

let them burn pellets

I'd say Sean is sorry he asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'd say Sean is sorry he asked.
    Sorry he asked what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I heard the tail end of that interview re the interconnector - how bizarre was that!

WTF does John Fitzgerald know about electricity, is he not an economist (and a bit of a dubious one at that, if his past record is anything to go by?) I tuned in to hear him debating the details of the infrastructure with someone who sounded like he knew FAR more about what they were talking about.

Anyway, I thought he'd retired years ago?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    WTF does John Fitzgerald know about electricity, is he not an economist (and a bit of a dubious one at that, if his past record is anything to go by?)

I found it very odd as well Heidi. I heard John Fitzgerald on the radio the other day, and he was introduced as the adjunct professor of economics at TCD. Surely there should have been somebody from EirGrid's technical department on to debate the other side of the argument.

• Advertisement

Feck the 'Buy to Lets'. These people took a gamble, they speculated, they drove up the property market. Let them swing.

Why does Terry Prone always sound like she's reading an audio book.

These farmer spokespeople are throwing threats around. Why should businesses that trade as farms be different from any other business when it comes to paying back loans?

Family farms? Yes maybe, but that idea has also faded with De Valera's dreams. The sort of farmers likely to be in trouble with 'vulture funds' are not likely to be small family farms but large & expanding agricultural enterprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Why does Terry Prone always sound like she's reading an audio book.

Trying to ratchet up the (fake) sincerity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

These farmer spokespeople are throwing threats around. Why should businesses that trade as farms be different from any other business when it comes to paying back loans?

Family farms? Yes maybe, but that idea has also faded with De Valera's dreams. The sort of farmers likely to be in trouble with 'vulture funds' are not likely to be small family farms but large & expanding agricultural enterprises.
    Here's the article that the item was based on.
    as many as 200 farmers may be affected by the sale of a €2.5bn Ulster Bank loan portfolio to US vulture fund Cerberus last October. Hundreds more could also come under pressure if the anticipated sale of other Irish mortgage portfolios to global funds goes ahead.Mortgage debt experts are calling on farm organisations to ramp up efforts to protect those affected, most of whom have been in financial difficulty since the economic crash.
    One of the contributors invoked famine-era evictions in an attempt to get some sympathy for the farmers.

While I do have some sympathy for some people who were conned convincend by banks to borrow more than they could afford, in the case of these farmers I get the impression that they gambled and lost. Remember, in the case of family farms - they already owned an asset.

In other words, the ICMSA fella came across as Jerry Beades Mark 2: "Won't someone please think of the poor landlords farmers?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i heard that gobshyte.

channeling the fecking field like its the 19th century or something.

theyre not any different to anyone else and a vulture fund will happily repossess their farm and rent it out to someone for the moola.

that said i CAN see FG getting all over this. it is after all their core vote. land owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Brian Hayes saying "we" will all be poorer after Brexit, he certainly won't be, clown, pure irritating out and out clown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's with the phone lines today? Diabolical, echoey ...makes for painful listening

Brian Hayes saying "we" will all be poorer after Brexit, he certainly won't be, clown, pure irritating out and out clown.

Brian "EU Blinkered" Hayes

• Advertisement

lovely bit of bethoven on SOR at the mo.

not mad into classical music but its nice every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

People with their snouts in the EU trough can't be trusted to give an objective opinion on Brexit. Of course they're going to side with their EU masters.

That piece about charities and data protection was a bit ridiculous. It's like changing a light bulb on the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

that was some interview with that poor developer from cork. is no one in rte capable of asking hard questions and laying into interviewees. the guy cost the state 700 million quid and now wants tax breaks for builders to build houses and wants the state to stay out of building homes but sean fawns over him and thinks hes a great guy for taking on blackstone

neris wrote: »
    that was some interview with that poor developer from cork. is no one in rte capable of asking hard questions and laying into interviewees. the guy cost the state 700 million quid and now wants tax breaks for builders to build houses and wants the state to stay out of building homes but sean fawns over him and thinks hes a great guy for taking on blackstone

Yeah, I'm watching with interest to see if the CFI succeed with their campaign to have the VAT rate changed.

But listening now, Mick Barry is on AGAIN. How often he appears on S'OR is weird. I'm not even sure if it is him as he sounds indistinguishable in intonation and language from Paul Murphy or Richard Boyd Barrett. They could easily impersonate each other on the radio :)

But listening now, Mick Barry is on AGAIN. How often he appears on S'OR is weird. I'm not even sure if it is him as he sounds indistinguishable in intonation and language from Paul Murphy or Richard Boyd Barrett. They could easily impersonate each other on the radio :)

He seems to think that Theresa May should adopt a policy of "what's best for Ireland" before making any decisions in the interests of Britain. Laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

He seems to think that Theresa May should adopt a policy of "what's best for Ireland" before making any decisions in the interests of Britain. Laughable.

Unfortunately that's the way Mick and his camp followers operate Harry, expect someone else to do everything for them.

Like shops and businesses should be run for the sole convenience of the customer, not to make a profit.

These guys should hit for Cuba.

• Advertisement

Didn't hear the whole segment with him just part of a discussion on bus eireann. Another person suggested each person with a travel pass pays 6 euro a year and that would cover the deficit on expressway. Off course for barry this was to expensive and expects everything for free. 50 cent a month we evn the poorest of the poor could afford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sean tells Tom Clonan to shut up! :D
    Comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

snubbleste wrote: »
    Sean tells Tom Clonan to shut up! :D
    Comical.

Fair play to him, that Clonan guy would waffle on all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Amusing point about toothpaste ads!

Fair play to him, that Clonan guy would waffle on all day.

But clonan was in the lebannon don't you know......... he could regale the listeners with war stories and military action from his extensive military career....... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

neris wrote: »
    But clonan was in the lebannon don't you know......... he could regale the listeners with war stories and military action from his extensive military career....... :rolleyes:

He really is one of the great bores of our time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There's a retired soldier who drinks in my local. He starts every story with, "When I was overseas.....".

The lads call him Uncle Albert.

He really is one of the great bores of our time.

Have to agree there.

Up there with-

Mary O'Rourke

Brendan Keenan

Brendan Ferriter

Brendan Bendar(:D only kiddin)

Ronán Mullen

Ruth Coppinger

Terry Prone

Martin Mansergh

Eoin Corry

Henry McKean

Sean Rocks

Ronan Collins

Ed Byrne the teachers dude.

Sheila Nunan

..........the list is endless.

Have to agree there.

Up there with-

Mary O'Rourke

Brendan Keenan

Brendan Ferriter

Brendan Bendar(:D only kiddin)

Ronán Mullen

Ruth Coppinger

Terry Prone

Martin Mansergh

Eoin Corry

Henry McKean

Sean Rocks

Ronan Collins

Ed Byrne the teachers dude.

Sheila Nunan

..........the list is endless.
    That's a real "basket of deplorables" you've listed there!

Have to agree there.
    Brendan Ferriter

Who is Brendan Ferriter?

Has to be time enough to start reducing the taxation load on businesses in Ireland who pay commercial rates and water charges to help fund local authorities. This can only be done by sharing these taxes with the public - increased property charges or domestic rates, water charges etc.

Who is Brendan Ferriter?

Professor of Mod Irish History UCD... Or something like that.

Breandán Ferritèar if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Professor of Mod Irish History UCD... Or something like that.

Breandán Ferritèar if you like.

Diarmud?

Diarmud?

Aaaah Boggser, you are correct, I am sorry Diarmuid Ferritéar is correct.

:o

Slinks off in shame....................:(

Diarmud?

Oh I knew who he was on about, alright. I was just reciprocating the petty and pedantic correcting of a similar mistake that I made on another thread.

• Advertisement

Oh I knew who he was on about, alright. I was just reciprocating the petty and pedantic correcting of a similar mistake that I made on another thread.

Peter...........sorry.

:eek:

Group hug............ Group hug?

Has to be time enough to start reducing the taxation load on businesses in Ireland who pay commercial rates and water charges to help fund local authorities. This can only be done by sharing these taxes with the public - increased property charges or domestic rates, water charges etc.

commercial rates are covering domestic rates. If home owners have to pay for domestic rates this in theory should reduce business rates. however the councils greed would never see beyond the large sums coming in from high commercial rates and domestic rates. An introduction in domestic rates would have the PBP, AAA and all the other social leeches out whinging that there already paying bin charges and been charged for water but businesses already do this. Our business pays rates on 2 offices. 1 we pay for water and our own bins. we cant get a parking permit for the street coz were a business, 2nd place we pay rates, water charges and a management charge because were in an office park. the councils do nothing for us except threaten legal proceedings coz we dont pay the full amount of rates up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

New drug testing kit being demonstrated. Not going very well. Taking ages. Whole deal takes about 10 minutes.
    I predict huge tailbacks at checkpoints

Did he not ask Naughton about getting knocked off the bike? Or was he on talking about that before?

Sean seemed to get very upset earlier when talking to some yank that Trump was looking out for America number 1 and not worrying about everyone else. Maybe some of our political elite could learn some jingoism from the Don and stop bending us over to Europe all the time

You have to laugh at Shane Ross. When he was a hurler on the ditch he was constantly mouthing off about Bus Eireann. Now he's Minister for Transport, his stock answer seems to be that he can't get involved in things.

First actual interview about trump that wasn't covered in lick spittle outrage though !

RTE seem to be adapting to the new status quo.

Pity newstalk is still goin off on one in relation to the doomsday clock and the like

:D

You have to laugh at Shane Ross. When he was a hurler on the ditch he was constantly mouthing off about Bus Eireann. Now he's Minister for Transport, his stock answer seems to be that he can't get involved in things.
    Can't stand Shane Ross. As I've said before as a columnist and politician he was all about outrage.

Now that he's a minister he seems to spend his whole time sticking his nose in other government departments, while doing absolutely nothing in his own.

Now that's OUTRAGEOUS! behaviour ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

serfboard wrote: »
    Can't stand Shane Ross. As I've said before as a columnist and politician he was all about outrage.

Now that he's a minister he seems to spend his whole time sticking his nose in other government departments, while doing absolutely nothing in his own.

Now that's OUTRAGEOUS! behaviour ... :rolleyes:

ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Trust the Clare lads to give us a blast of some real trad music - unlike that Temple Bar Trad delusion that RTE seem intent on shoving down out throats currently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement