Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Cormac needs to dial back the bonhomie here, he's never this chirpy on the Late Debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It's pointless having these debates about who is or isn't willing to form a future government. It's all empty rhetoric. Just take a look at the John Gormless "Planet Bertie" speech at the Green Party Ard Fheis prior to them going into government with FF in 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Mary Lou has a cheek lecturing us on our responsibility towards 'All Ireland' and Brexit when her party has abdicated from government up North and run away from the problem...............

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Cormac needs to dial back the bonhomie here, he's never this chirpy on the Late Debate.

He's not a bad replacement for the slot though. Bit of a political head and maybe his leanings are a little obvious. Wouldn't have the breadth of experience to cover the multi factorial stories that crop though, PK was best at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Callan57 wrote: »
    ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS :rolleyes:

Truly ?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Trust the Clare lads to give us a blast of some real trad music - unlike that Temple Bar Trad delusion that RTE seem intent on shoving down out throats currently.
    If you like Trad, you might like to watch coverage of Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann (Ennis), it's the first of a six part series. (RTE 1, Friday @ 7:30pm).
    The first programme in this new six part series from Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann which was back in Ennis Co. Clare after a gap of almost 40 years is presented by John Creedon and Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin. The programme features the groups Project West and Out the Gap and this year’s Ard-Ollamh Micheál Ó hAlmhain.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/fleadh-cheoil-1262/10679479/

Scaremongering this morning? Illegal Irish to be rounded up and deported from USA?? Sounds a bit hyped up to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

everybody is appalled

everybody is appalled

amazing how RTE have become DEV and can just look into its heart to know the irish peoples will aint it ?

least sean admits the texters dont agree. ya wont get that from pat on newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

What do you mean, no return to the status quo?

Haven't had you heard, Sean? Rick Parfitt died a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Amazing how many of the younger Sinn Fein leaders talk like 'machine guns'! They must go to some training course in how to throw out as many mostly meaningless phrases as possible. Like white noise at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Thankfully I only caught a few minutes of Micheál Martin on this morning (normal response is to switch him off), but he's a great man for talking and talking and saying absolutely nothing.

It didn't help that Seán didn't give him a harder time (in the bit I heard) as he magnificiently rode many horses at one time. For instance - talking about the Bus Eireann dispute, Micheál says the subvention should be increased. There was an opportunity for Sean to jump in and say - to how much? And how much would that cost? And where are you going to get that money from? Take it from the health service?

But he didn't. It feels to me like Sean has gone on an inverted Pay For Performance scheme - the more's he's paid, the worse he's performing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

serfboard wrote: »
    Thankfully I only caught a few minutes of Micheál Martin on this monring (normal response is to switch him off), but he's a great man for talking and talking and saying absolutely nothing.

It didn't help that Seán didn't give him a harder time (in the bit I heard) as he magnificiently rode many horses at one time. For instance - talking in the Bbus Eireann dispute, Micheál says the subvention should be increased. There was an opportunity for Sean to jump in and say - to how much? And how much would that cost? And where are you going to get that money from? Take it from the health service?

But he didn't. It feels to me like Sean has gone on an inverted Pay For Performance scheme - the more's he's paid, the worse he's performing.
    I went straight for the off switch when i heard him on this morning. That's happening quite a lot these days with SO'R....

Interesting to see your description of the interview. I did hear almost all of the interview with Noirin O'Sullivan last week - and that was a total whitewash as well.

Has he hung up his hard-hitting current affairs hat, and is just going for the soft soap these days? Because Pat Kenny surely has. Which leaves nearly nothing worth listening to in the late mornings these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I went straight for the off switch when i heard him on this morning. That's happening quite a lot these days with SO'R....

Interesting to see your description of the interview. I did hear almost all of the interview with Noirin O'Sullivan last week - and that was a total whitewash as well.

Has he hung up his hard-hitting current affairs hat, and is just going for the soft soap these days? Because Pat Kenny surely has. Which leaves nearly nothing worth listening to in the late mornings these days.

Good points there, however Rte are somewhat spancelled by the huge salaries meted out in Montrose.

Kind of difficult to build up a head of steam against others drawing in huge wedges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To be honest I've been thinking the same over the past few weeks/months, SOR has gone soft with his interviews. He used be a right dog with some questions when he was on News @ 1, but that seems to have stopped with the Today show. He did give a pretty hard interview to Michelle O'Neill I suppose...

On today's show the head of some private bus operators representative organisation insisted he would only come on in a one-to-one interview.

Absolute fúckin bullshít, and should not have been allowed, IMO. He should have been told you're in for a group discussion or you're not in at all. (BTW I see the world's most useless Minister, Shane Ross, was allowed pull the same stunt on Prime Time recently).

He would have been discussing with Dermot O'Leary, the General Secretary of the NBRU, and given how Dermot performed in the previous discussion where he continuousy interrupted the other speaker, I can understand why he did it.

However, that is called Guest Management - Dermot's behaviour is by now well known, so he should have been on a phone line, and the line muted whenever the other guest was talking.

That or, if he was coming into studio, he should be given a talking-to beforehand and told his mic will be muted when the other guest is speaking if he keeps interrupting.

Get a grip, Sean and team.

serfboard wrote: »
    On today's show the head of some private bus operators representative organisation insisted he would only come on in a one-to-one interview.

Absolute fúckin bullshít, and should not have been allowed, IMO. He should have been told you're in for a group discussion or you're not in at all. (BTW I see the world's most useless Minister, Shane Ross, was allowed pull the same stunt on Prime Time recently).

He would have been discussing with Dermot O'Leary, the General Secretary of the NBRU, and given how Dermot performed in the previous discussion where he continuousy interrupted the other speaker, I can understand why he did it.

However, that is called Guest Management - Dermot's behaviour is by now well known, so he should have been on a phone line, and the line muted whenever the other guest was talking.

That or, if he was coming into studio, he should be given a talking-to beforehand and told his mic will be muted when the other guest is speaking if he keeps interrupting.

Get a grip, Sean and team.

Lad was dead right to insist on a one to one interview.

O'Leary doesn't know how to debate, shouting people down is his mi it seems to me.

Dead right.

Lad was dead right to insist on a one to one interview.

O'Leary doesn't know how to debate, shouting people down is his mi it seems to me.

Dead right.

O'Leary = NBRU lad? If so, then yes - very annoying and shouty. Not doing your cause any favours. Would have been good to hear SOR at least ask why he insisted on a one-to-one though...

dulpit wrote: »
    O'Leary = NBRU lad? If so, then yes - very annoying and shouty. Not doing your cause any favours. Would have been good to hear SOR at least ask why he insisted on a one-to-one though...

Yes the very lad.

Doubt if Sean would ever reveal the actual reason why though, perhaps he just wanted to give his point of view and not be sidetracked by O'Leary. Heard it happening before on occasions

Didn't come across as terribly convincing to me.

Colm O' Gorman getting a bit of a kicking here, resorting to personal jibes.

• Advertisement

the yank is well able for the anti-democracy angry man

the yank is well able for the anti-democracy angry man

O'Gorman's position seems to be 'they can do it, but they can't do it'.

I can't work out what his protest is actually about.

He's losing his cool now-there's a surprise!

O'Gorman's position seems to be 'they can do it, but they can't do it'.

I can't work out what his protest is actually about.

He's losing his cool now-there's a surprise!

It's about publicity seeking for the concern he is well paid to keep to the forefront of the media.

Colm seems to think that the best strategy is do nothing and wait till the bad things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If you look up the definition of sanctimonious in the dictionary you'd probably see a picture of ex-PD man Colm O'Gorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

It's about publicity seeking for the concern he is well paid to keep to the forefront of the media.

Colm seems to think that the best strategy is do nothing and wait till the bad things happen.

In fairness he had a valid point ... the omission of the Saudi bagmen for international terrorism is surely extraordinary. And the American guy had no valid explaination unless he probably didn't want to say "you can't discomode multi millionaire princes" :rolleyes:
    Cowardly going for the soft target IMO ... easier to come the heavy with a misfortunate and scared refugees that to take on the Saudi wealthy :mad:

Why do people when speaking their second language feel the need to exaggerate the pronunciation??

Lara Marlow at it just now and more locally Cormac O' Hara was at it last night on The Late Debate-every time he said Bus EIREANN I wanted to put my fist through the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Which village in Cavan was it does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

"Boring, boring Arsenal" ? Is that not a term that used to describe their team about twenty years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

"Boring, boring Arsenal" ? Is that not a term that used to describe their team about twenty years ago?

Dates back to the George Graham era, as far as I recall. GG stopped being manager of Arsenal in 1995.

• Advertisement

Dates back to the George Graham era, as far as I recall. GG stopped being manager of Arsenal in 1995.

I've never had it used as a description of the CURRENT team though!!!

Sex worker.

Is that what we're supposed to call prostitutes these days??

Sex worker. Is that what we're supposed to call prostitutes these days??

Hooker says I first started prostituting in New York. Sean says "Is that where you first 'started to practice' ". Gas that this woman gets addicted to drugs, go walking the streets for money, and yet it's still the man's fault.

Hooker says I first started prostituting in New York. Sean says "Is that where you first 'started to practice' ". Gas that this woman gets addicted to drugs, go walking the streets for money, and yet it's still the man's fault.

I had to laugh when she outlined how she set out to get her friend off drugs and ended up getting addicted herself!

I had to laugh when she outlined how she set out to get her friend off drugs and ended up getting addicted herself!

Still a bit unsure about that one, Paddy. I thought she went hooking to pay for her friend's habit, but she did say that she was addicted herself, so I'm not sure.

Still a bit unsure about that one, Paddy. I thought she went hooking to pay for her friend's habit, but she did say that she was addicted herself, so I'm not sure.

She was definitely addicted first.

Started on the heroin at 32, prostituting herself at 33.

• Advertisement

Ruhama over egging the pudding as usual to get more funding

The MSM wouldn't have a prob with "fake news " if they didn't keep fecking lying to us all the time.

Remember koln in Germany ?

It shouldn't have taken social media to break a story about a thousand strong rape gang wandering around on new years .

But it did cause the cops , media , and politicians all colluded to cover it up for over a month .

Fact is the nutters are more credible now. And that's solely down to the media failures of the past

The MSM wouldn't have a prob with "fake news " if they didn't keep fecking lying to us all the time.

I think the word fake is not appropriate for this when talking about the main stream media. Everybody could forgive a journalist for making a mistake and you would think RTE would reflect on their own "fake" Father Reynolds story before casting aspersions (and looking down their noses) at one man band media sources.

But there is a difference between genuinely making a mistake, and falsely BIASED reporting orchestrated to present the view of the media group and push for their preferred candidates.

I think the word fake is not appropriate for this when talking about the main stream media. Everybody could forgive a journalist for making a mistake and you would think RTE would reflect on their own "fake" Father Reynolds story before casting aspersions (and looking down their noses) at one man band media sources.

But there is a difference between genuinely making a mistake, and falsely BIASED reporting orchestrated to present the view of the media group and push for their preferred candidates.

I'm not sure what I was listening to, but they were talking about the difference between fake news and false news, and how a lot of people don't see this difference.

False news = genuinely reported, but ultimately wrong. Could be down to poor journalism, bad sources, etc.
    Fake news = knowingly incorrect news, portrayed as real.

I think this will become more important over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Has this term fake news just come about since trump ran for election? Don't remember hearing the term before last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jesus. I'm from Tipperary and I need subtitles to understand Mattie.

Who makes up this silly rubbish about scoring exam marks for the government? Childish and cringe worthy.

This Tanya is typical of women driving a social agenda that encourages the fragmentation of families & disenfranchisement of fathers.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Jesus. I'm from Tipperary and I need subtitles to understand Mattie.

Surprisingly poor performance from Moore this morning, I was looking forward to hear him giving Dermot O'leary a much needed filleting.

He never came close to landing a blow of any note.
    Way to much hot air.

Surprisingly poor performance from Moore this morning, I was looking forward to hear him giving Dermot O'leary a much needed filleting.
    When I heard Moore and Dermot O'Leary were going to be on, I too thought - this'll be good, sparks will fly here.

They didn't.

And it's not as if O'Leary didn't provide opportunities - I'd have some sympathy for Bus Eireann, but he was trying every trick in the book. Going on about how every gate post (i.e. small hamlet) is entitled to a proper large-sized Bus Eireann bus, and to attempt to provide minibuses to said locations is treating people who live there like "second-class citizens". He also tried to drag the incomprehensible Mattie McGrath into a discussion about trains, but thankfully Sean cut him off there and said we're here to talk about buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Way to much hot air.

Moore belives that because 1/3 of the country live in the greater Dublin area the other 2/3 should whistle dixie. He is the ultimate right wing 'money makes the man' gobshyte. Mattie mightn't be the most coherent but he put moore in his box when he attempted a childish and bad tasting remark about it being a bus service and not an ambulance service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Way to much hot air.

Moore is the typical D4 type that thinks because 1/3 of the population live in the greater dublin are then the other 2/3 should whistle dixie. Mattie might not be the most coherent but he put moore back in his box when he attempted a childish and bad tasting remark about it being a bus service and not an ambulance service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This TDI is boiling my pissed. Heso only short of saying cars shouldn't be on the road.
    He'd be better governing the country than making stupid laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's not at all saying that cars shouldn't be on the road, but that motorists need to give cyclists space. It's a pretty straightforward law and long overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Doesn't seem like something that will be enforced often, I do wish SO'R or PK would refrain from reading out those anti-cycling texts by simpletons, aim for a higher standard than Daily Mail comments please.

Paul Murphy really gets on my goat!!!!! Piss off and go pay your way Murphy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement