Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Nobody was affected by the strikes says Brid Smith. I'd doubt any of the people who voted for her were anyway.

So it was pointless was it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nobody was affected by the strikes says Brid Smith. I'd doubt any of the people who voted for her were anyway.

Have to say this lady has some neck.

Ok she is elected and fair play there, but her attitude to the taxpayer is despicable.

Everyone deserves a raise seems to be Brìds philosophy, forget about who has to pay, forget about of cost of living, forget about the company, the economy, the market.... No, Good auld Brid goes for rises for everyone.

And then wonders why services to those who need them are not available.

Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Nobody was affected"

OK Brid. You come down here next week and take my daughter 16 miles to college, then come back and take the other one 15 miles to school in the other direction and then take me to work after that. Then do it all again in reverse in the evening and take me back to work from 5 till 8 and pay for the petrol and wear and tear on the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what a bitter little man Kelly is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Some spoofing from the compo solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

what a bitter little man Kelly is

ya notice it was a solo number ?

prob demanded he didnt face any questioning from fellow TDs likes been done in the past for his ilk.

:D

Been great listening to the radio today on the water issue, bitterness is sweet from the losers.

even the texters were slagging them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

will you listen to that bollocks on "recyling"

the feckers want you to do all their work for them. last i checked there were teams employed in the recyling centers to clean up the packaging we chuck out.

looks like theyve all been sacked and we'er meant to clean the bloody things ourselves so they can flog em to china.

theyll want us all to have our own fecking compactors next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

will you listen to that bollocks on "recyling"

the feckers want you to do all their work for them. last i checked there were teams employed in the recyling centers to clean up the packaging we chuck out.

looks like theyve all been sacked and we'er meant to clean the bloody things ourselves so they can flog em to china.

theyll want us all to have our own fecking compactors next.
    Eh, it's stuff like that that causes the cost of bin collection to go up.
    (Over here, we pay rates which (among lots of other things) covers bins, and I know villages where the rates went up because of contamination in recycling bins.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of the cúpla focail - but his pronunciation (aka mangling) of "r"s (Éireann, Dún Laoghaire are the two I've just heard him saying) I find INTENSELY annoying.
    That's just the canuint Chonnacht. Cormac O hEadhra is a fluent Irish speaker from Carraroe in the Gaeltacht, his pronunciation is exactly correct.

That's just the canuint Chonnacht. Cormac O hEadhra is a fluent Irish speaker from Carraroe in the Gaeltacht, his pronunciation is exactly correct.

Yes it is, and I am an advocate of the 'cùpla fochail' but sometimes I think Cormac overdoes it with the ' blas' just to sock it to the great unwashed.

I am a fan though.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

For that region it is.

We would have a totally different pronunciation here in west Mayo, also in Kerry, Donegal, Meath and Waterford Gaeltacht areas. There is no exact correct pronunciation.

If Cormac insists on continuing to drop the odd phrase, I would politely suggest maybe softening his accent a little.
    The exaggerated accent can come across as a bit smug, Lara Marlow acts in a similar fashion with French.

David Quinn is very hard to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Very 'snippy' attitude from David Quinn towards 'Nones' as he refers to people who filled in no religion on the census. Arrogant and smug. I'd shove his nuns up his you know where.

David Quinn is very hard to listen to.

Defending the indefensible from a position that is rapidly being eroded. Let him keep his religious ethos, but within the confines of his own family and community. Shoving it down other peoples throats doesn't endear him.

Very 'snippy' attitude from David Quinn towards 'Nones' as he refers to people who filled in no religion on the census. Arrogant and smug. I'd shove his nuns up his you know where.
    And making his little whispered digs and snorts while the other person was speaking. No respect.

And making his little whispered digs and snorts while the other person was speaking. No respect.

If he was confident in his own views he wouldn't need to constantly and rudely interrupt everyone else & as you say engage in his little snide, side of the mouth mutters when someone else is speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

SOR: "And what effect will this have on ISIS numbers"
    Declan Power: "Well it remains to be seen".

I'm not really sure that Declan Power knows enough about this sort of thing to be commenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

SOR: "And what effect will this have on ISIS numbers"
    Declan Power: "Well it remains to be seen".

I'm not really sure that Declan Power knows enough about this sort of thing to be commenting.
    In fairness, it was a bit of an unfair question. Declan Power is a security analyst, not an expert on the psychology of those likely to join ISIS.

These teachers think the state owes them a living and three months holidays.. paid extra for degrees that have nothing to do with their day job.. If you dont like the terms go in to private teaching.

The unions didn't care about equality when they pulled up the ladder behind them to protect their own selfish interest. Where was the spirit of Jim Connolly when they did that?

• Advertisement

These teachers think the state owes them a living and three months holidays.. paid extra for degrees that have nothing to do with their day job.. If you dont like the terms go in to private teaching.

The unions didn't care about equality when they pulled up the ladder behind them to protect their own selfish interest. Where was the spirit of Jim Connolly when they did that?

fed up hearing about teachers n their unions. the unions shafted new comers and now pretending it was all the governments fault. they expect more and more but are willing to give less and less. i think of all the public sectors the teachers are the most egotistical and full of their own self importance

"Sean, these are the most important talks that will happen in your lifetime, and probably in my lifetime".

lol.. such a way of phrasing it.

neris wrote: »
    fed up hearing about teachers n their unions. the unions shafted new comers and now pretending it was all the governments fault. they expect more and more but are willing to give less and less. i think of all the public sectors the teachers are the most egotistical and full of their own self importance

Getting very fed up of this annual whinge fest ... if teaching is so bad isn't it amazing that so many son's & daughters of teachers opt for it? Very odd all right :rolleyes:

What I find even odder is the mindset that seems to think that no matter what happens to the States finances, public servants should not suffer!

Like, when the good times were rolling the benchmarking was kicking in and didn't some dude liken it to an ATM?

Then when the cold winds of collapse whistle through the streets and the private sector is decimated- job losses, pay cuts, redundancies, downsizing, our friends in the teachers Unions seem to think that everything should carry on as normal?

No job losses for them, sure they took a bit of a hit, but did they seriously expect the State not to try to reduce the cost there.

The teachers who applied for their jobs on a different scale surely read the terms and conditions.

Bit disengenious for the fat cats to start whinging now and roaring and shouting at these tiresome conferences.

Very immature behaviour by a lot of them and downright foolish if they think the taxpayer is fooled by their ranting and rhetoric.

Time they wised up and stopped playing politics with other people's tax money.

I'm not sure this one has got the tone right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I'm not sure this one has got the tone right.

Absolute disgrace that €300 million can be spent and the govt minister is hiding in the bunker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This woman sounds to me like she has sold her soul for a shine new hospital.
    What us it with this fookin place that we now have two hospitals to be built and they are both embroiled in controversy

I didn Catch the start. Who is she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

sligojoek wrote: »

The master of the national maternity hospital and in line to get a brand new €300 million premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Disgrace that the hospital is being built on private land. Brown envelopes ??

Donal55 wrote: »
    The master of the national maternity hospital and in line to get a brand new €300 million premises.

I'm sure she's passionate about the subject, but I dont think her tone will help her get her message across. Sean O'Rourke is not the enemy. It is legitimate to ask questions about why the nuns are allowed to retain ownership of the new hospital, it's not being combative to simply ask her this question.

• Advertisement

"Letters from the front"

Are we participating in a war that I don't know about. The biggest chance an Irish soldier has of getting shot is when they are playing Call Of Duty in the barracks.

Donal55 wrote: »

Thanks D. I copped that for a finish. At one point I thought she was a nun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Disgrace that the hospital is being built on private land. Brown envelopes ??

The awkward silence when the pair of them were asked if they had enquired about buying the site spoke volumes about how the order, and by extension the St Vincent Healthcare Group, approached the negotiations.

Brendan Howlin is right here. WHY do the nuns want ownership, if it is not a significant issue. This will be something in decades, similar to the Michael Woods deal, that people will look back and say "Why would the state agree to such a stupid thing???"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Thanks D. I copped that for a finish. At one point I thought she was a nun.

I think she's just so desperate to get out of the crumbling building in Dublin 2 that she will accept any t&c's at this stage.
    She is an excellent master in Holmes St but I think she's extremely naive if she doesn't think there's a blinside to all of this. The memories of Dr Michael Woods negotiations, and the way he was used and the State made a fool of by religious orders, should be foremost in her mind.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Getting very fed up of this annual whinge fest ... if teaching is so bad isn't it amazing that so many son's & daughters of teachers opt for it? Very odd all right :rolleyes:

not sure if sean covered it today but todays public service "we want more money" whinge is the defence forces. i think april must be public service unions congress month coz last week it was the gardai whinging at their union congresses

Maybe it's time to deal a heavy dose of reality to these people.

You can keep your rates of pay but in future there will be redundancies, job losses, redeployment, and all the outcomes that happen to the pvt sector when good times go bad.

These people cannot have it both ways.

Time John Q Taxpayer stood up and was counted and told those unions that we pay the piper and so call the tune.

Let's get real here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Let's get real here.
    The reality here is radio.

The reality here is radio.

What's that about Pee?

Did I step on some toes here and go off topic?

Now, you could be right and if I strayed off topic , my apologies.

On mature reflection, you are right, my comments were off topic.

You are indeed correct in reining me in.

Apologies again

Maybe you need to take a closer look at all of the negative aspects of Hilary instead of focusing on the negative aspects of Trump. Given that he had the whole media against him, and was a pretty polarising character.... this should give you an indication as to how unpopular Hilary Clinton actually is.

And I don't remember Pat leading the campaign to get rid of Clinton when his PROVEN history of sexual harassment came to light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Why do they insist on having the guy from Callans Kicks on with Sean so much?

You can clearly hear the disdain in his voice for him when he does the list of topics at the top of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

The church and church groups are still actively seeking patronage of new hospitals and schools. This di vesting seems to be a myth. New secondary school here, church were seeking patronage. They haven't gone away you know!

This guy is a fierce spoofer - he's read a few blogs and been to some 'security meetings' - "Watch out for the Bad Guys" etc. Is he some journo? I suspect Sean knows more than he does.

On separate matter, I see that Ray can't even press the right buttons when he's not in studio!! :)

juneg wrote: »
    The church and church groups are still actively seeking patronage of new hospitals and schools. This di vesting seems to be a myth. New secondary school here, church were seeking patronage. They haven't gone away you know!

The long reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Rosary beads sowed into the gusset of yer knickers girls...them Kerrywomen are way ahead of us.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Rosary beads sowed into the gusset of yer knickers girls...them Kerrywomen are way ahead of us.

:eek:

'Sowed'

Was there a schsattering of topsoil in there to propagate them ?Well wathered ?

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

The long reach.

The deep state, Irish style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I was half listening to the show this morning.
    There was a robust chat between Sean and a former master of the Coombe hospital.

but the next guest...forget his name did my nut in. :(

Apparently, he does'nt know at all what all the argument and row is about the location of the new maternity hospital.

In fact.... "it should be celebrated". Little people taking it all far too seriously.

To review Trump's first one hundred days, we have an embittered life long Democrat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

To review Trump's first one hundred days, we have an embittered life long Democrat.
    People who haven't heard the segment might think from your post that he (I presume you're talking about Larry Donnelly) was the only guest on. In fact, from the podcast page the full list was:
    RTE wrote:
    Larry Donnelly, Law Lecturer, NUI Galway, Gina London, Former CNN Anchor, Dr. Jan Halper Hayes, Former Vice President Republicans Overseas, Tom Plank, Former Chair of Republicans Abroad Ireland
    Quite a balanced panel IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement