Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

Well I certainly haven't " missed the point" Bernadette was making.
    Erm...
    I don't,like Bernadette seems to imply, go along with turning a blind eye to welfare abuse, lone parent abuse, disability abuse,because it's alledgedly small.
    You have just missed the point again, after denying you missed it.

She wasn't saying 'turn a blind eye'. She wants welfare fraud tackled, but we have to be proportionate given how rare the Department says it is.

Correction: how rare the Department *used* to say it is, for many years, until the Leadership bid intensified a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Erm...

You have just missed the point again, after denying you missed it.

She wasn't saying 'turn a blind eye'. She wants welfare fraud tackled, but we have to be proportionate given how rare the Department says it is.

Correction: how rare the Department *used* to say it is, for many years, until the Leadership bid intensified a few weeks ago.

Hmmm my memory isn't great these days but I seem to recollect her saying that in the lone parent issue if the 'partner' spent two or three nights co habiting that sure was no big deal.

Could be wrong on that .

I would disagree that this has anything to do with the leadership bid in FG which you seem so anxious to push forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's neither funny nor tragic, because it's untrue.
    And this never happened either. You have a complete misunderstanding of what the piece was about and people's reaction to it.
    Look, I've seen grown men and women in tears (following redundancy or a medical diagnosis)because they're afraid of how society will judge them for claiming benefits and this campaign adds to it.

Look, I've seen grown men and women in tears (following redundancy or a medical diagnosis)because they're afraid of how society will judge them for claiming benefits and this campaign adds to it.

No it doesn't, nobody claiming benefits legitimately should be in the slightest bit worried about who judges them.

That's what benefits are for after all.

This campaign focuses on those who take the money out of those unfortunate people's pockets.

I would prefer to single those out for attention, not the genuine claimant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nothing to do with what we're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Claire Byrne is discussing this now on RTE 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Normally I ignore people who start discussions with 'so' and personalise discourse.
    Bit surprised Harry, that you would come up with that stuff, but be that as it may, as a taxpayer I support any action which directs my taxes towards people who really need help and and weeds out the gloamers ,and there are many, who tip around the edges doing 'this and that' and screwing those who really need the help.

That's about it Harry, I'm just an ordinary guy who likes to see my taxes go to the real needy, not to supplement the big 70 incher on the wall and the trips to Spain and Turkey every few months.

Whatever party has that policy will have my support, it's that simple .

Come on Brenner, tell us about all those social welfare recipients you know who go to Spain and Turkey every few months? Or are you just echoing the misinformed bullsh!t that Leo and his ilk like to disseminate?

Hmmm my memory isn't great these days but I seem to recollect her saying that in the lone parent issue if the 'partner' spent two or three nights co habiting that sure was no big deal.

Could be wrong on that .

I would disagree that this has anything to do with the leadership bid in FG which you seem so anxious to push forward.

It has everything to do with Leo's leadership bid.

It has everything to do with Leo's leadership bid.

People are making it so. 6 or 7 years ago this was all kicked off by the FF/Lab government with hundreds of inspectors announced with the scheme apparently showing solid reduction in welfare bills in years subsequent to it.

Where was the outcry then? If there is political opportunism, it's on all sides.

• Advertisement

People are making it so. 6 or 7 years ago this was all kicked off by the FF/Lab government with hundreds of inspectors announced with the scheme apparently showing solid reduction in welfare bills in years subsequent to it.

Where was the outcry then? If there is political opportunism, it's all on all sides.

FF/Lab government?? What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Where was the outcry then? If there is political opportunism, it's all on all sides.

He's doing nothing different then Joan Burton did. It's just an advertising campaign that cost €165,988. If it was an announcement about appointing more inspectors, then fair enough, but it's not - it's nothing new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That Bernadette lady is getting pretty hysterical over social welfare and won't let anyone else get a word in.

I thought she was so right. It's about time someone called out Nasty Tory Boy Leo on it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No it doesn't LC it doesn't stigmatise anyone other than welfare cheats..

Huh? A huge amount of false reports on people have been made in the past few years. So sorry but you are wrong.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Sorry it is. This Leo Leadership campaign stigmatises and demonises everyone on social welfare.

Terry Pratchet

I'm just an ordinary guy who likes to see my taxes go to the real needy, not to supplement the big 70 incher on the wall and the trips to Spain and Turkey every few months.

Still waiting with bated breath for the bould Brenner to furnish us with details about those social welfare recipients he's acquainted with who have 70 inch TVs and pay regular visits to Spain and Turkey every few months......
    And Bren, you do know that you can pick up the phone and report these phantom people to your local social welfare office any time? It's what Leo would have wanted ;)

LV-390x285.jpg

• Advertisement

Still waiting with bated breath for the bould Brenner to furnish us with details about those social welfare recipients he's acquainted with who have 70 inch TVs and pay regular visits to Spain and Turkey every few months......
    And Bren, you do know that you can pick up the phone and report these phantom people to your local social welfare office any time? It's what Leo would have wanted ;)

LV-390x285.jpg

I often wonder why ,if as people seem to suggest all these welfare fraudsters are "phantom people" why there is such a furore when the Govt. does its job and protects the taxpayers money.

Seems like some people will go to great lengths to try to demonise those running a campaign to save taxpayers money.

However maybe I am straying a bit off topic.

Apologies.

I often wonder why ,if as people seem to suggest all these welfare fraudsters are "phantom people" why there is such a furore when the Govt. does its job and protects the taxpayers money.

Seems like some people will go to great lengths to try to demonise those running a campaign to save taxpayers money.

However maybe I am straying a bit off topic.

Apologies.

The fraud figures are totally made up and very often much less than DSP errors. DSP could do with spending more money to check their systems for overpayments.

http://politico.ie/society/truth-about-social-welfare-fraud

Yes I do demonise Leo for this. Because he is creating a culture of demonising all welfare recipients. The vast majority of reports received by DSP have been not upheld.

Terry Pratchet

FF/Lab government?? What are you on about?

Maybe it's more complicated than I thought as I posted it several times.

This crack down on social welfare fraud, in which a couple of hundred inspectors were announced as partaking in it, was started by a previous government.
    foxtrot101 wrote: »
    He's doing nothing different then Joan Burton did. It's just an advertising campaign that cost €165,988. If it was an announcement about appointing more inspectors, then fair enough, but it's not - it's nothing new.

Which is what I've been saying from the outset.
    Sorry it is. This Leo Leadership campaign stigmatises and demonises everyone on social welfare.
    Yes I do demonise Leo for this. Because he is creating a culture of demonising all welfare recipients.

How?

The fraud figures are totally made up and very often much less than DSP errors. DSP could do with spending more money to check their systems for overpayments.

http://politico.ie/society/truth-about-social-welfare-fraud

Yes I do demonise Leo for this. Because he is creating a culture of demonising all welfare recipients. The vast majority of reports received by DSP have been not upheld.

Link provided from a platform founded by Vincent Browne written by volunteer journalists written in 2011

Do I give any credence to that source to be objective- nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Does tackling income tax fraud stigmatise everyone who pays income tax? No.
    Does tackling insurance fraud stigmatise everyone who has insurance? No.
    So why would tackling social welfare fraud stigmatise everyone on social welfare? :confused:

The underlying tone of the discussion yesterday by the 2 against these investigations was that fraud, if it happens, is likely to only happen because payments are too low and sure god love them. Whether or not payments are high enough is a completely different argument and doesn't justify illegal behaviour. If I'm not happy with my salary it's not like I can simply defraud my employer until I have enough money....

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Does tackling income tax fraud stigmatise everyone who pays income tax? No.
    Does tackling insurance fraud stigmatise everyone who has insurance? No.
    So why would tackling social welfare fraud stigmatise everyone on social welfare? :confused:

I was going to make the same point. Must be fierce hard for some people getting out of bed if they own a car. With all these schemes to prevent insurance fraud, motor insurance and tax avoidance, driving on the phone, drink driving, speeding, the poor dears must feel fierce victimised as soon as they hit their bedroom floor.

Which is what I've been saying from the outset.

No, I don't think we are saying the same thing, I'm saying the advertising campaign is totally unnecessary, because there has been an ongoing crackdown on welfare fraud since 2011. I also suspect the timing of this "campaign" and the wording of it - which seems to designed to appeal to a certain type of Fine Gael voter. The type more inclined to support Leo over Simon Coveney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

I also suspect the timing of this "campaign" and the wording of it - which seems to designed to appeal to a certain type of Fine Gael voter. The type more inclined to support Leo over Simon Coveney.
    Of course it is. Remember the Fine Gael leadership:
    is decided by an electoral college which gives parliamentary party members (51 TDs, 19 senators and four MEPs) 65 per cent of the vote, ordinary members of the party 25 per cent, and public representatives (councillors) 10 per cent.
    so the blue-rinsed, blueshirted, outraged from Booterstown types are in play here.

No, I don't think we are saying the same thing, I'm saying the advertising campaign is totally unnecessary, because there has been an ongoing crackdown on welfare fraud since 2011. I also suspect the timing of this "campaign" and the wording of it - which seems to designed to appeal to a certain type of Fine Gael voter. The type more inclined to support Leo over Simon Coveney.

Ah, I understand your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

there was a glorious Trump peice at the beging of todays show with yer man seth , sean, and another lad (larry i think?)

the sheer rage that trump actually hasnt done anything illegal shone through. with the usual suspects coming on regularly now to just talk to themselves its refreshing to hear a guy thats unapologetically pro trump.

if only cause it results in hilarity from the PC set. i particularly loved sean's defence of the new york times. a paper that after the election of trump ran an editorial that can basically be summed up as "we'll maybe we'll try telling the truth for a change"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

"McGregor has an amateur boxing background from his time at Crumlin boxing club so that should stand to him".

against the best professional boxer of his generation. :pac:

Simon Coveney really needs to get some help when he's speaking. A bit of media training. He just doesn't sound confident, and keeps saying "...eeehhhh". He sounds unsure, like a secondary school student reading a book report.

look at the lad he's replacing.

FG Have form electing these types.

look at the lad he's replacing.

FG Have form electing these types.

What kind of 'form' are you referring to?

Given the empathy that this man has with the terrorists, I am not sure that Irish authorities could trust him not to give the "benefit of the doubt" to a similar muslim terrorist within his own group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Who is this Irish Iman on now? He's trotting a fairly objectionable line - equivocating about the Manchester bomber and the reasons they might do this..........

Seems to be saying we've nothing to fear here. This guy and the people he represents need to be challenged and monitored more thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Dr. Ali Saleem? it seems he is. I hope our security forces are looking very closely at this community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Dr. Ali Saleem? it seems he is. I hope our security forces are looking very closely at this community.
    Irish Secret Service

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Irish Secret Service

You mean ISIS? The Irish Secret Intelligence Service?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Is Dunphy drunk? It sound to me like he might well be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It would not fill you with much confidence

ha ha ha.

"press ombudsman" is saying more and more people are distrusting social media and trusting print and co.

jays its like the crash days and dan mcglouglan telling people to buys gaffs, everythings grand.

complete "Respect your betters!" peice.

:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It would not fill you with much confidence

If we had a major incident say in the rds, there aren't enough ambulances in Dublin to deal with sick people let alone a major one. Better off not thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Only RTE could care about the retirement of another RTE nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

citykat wrote: »
    Only RTE could care about the retirement of another RTE nobody.

Who's retiring?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Who's retiring?

David Davin-Power.

Will he be due two pensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

David Davin-Power.

LLS producer. No idea who he is.

RTE should do a documentary of DDP's various hairstyles and facial hair through the years. It'll be what he's most remembered for.

RTE should do a documentary of DDP's various hairstyles and facial hair through the years. It'll be what he's most remembered for.

Is it a wig.

• Advertisement

Is it a wig.

If it is, he should get his money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

David Davin-Power.

Thought he retired a couple of weeks ago :confused:

Callan57 wrote: »
    Thought he retired a couple of weeks ago :confused:

I think I'm the cause of the confusion. I assumed it was him, but it was in fact..
    LLS producer. No idea who he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

^ Sean was talking to Larry Masterson, the LLS executive producer - he is stepping down after tonight's show.

^ Sean was talking to Larry Masterson, the LLS executive producer - he is stepping down after tonight's show.

Everybody who works on that show should be FORCED to step down, and get a kick up the ar$e on the way out the door.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement