Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

These chumps still don't get it. Not many people would object in principle to paying water charges, but when those charges come from an EU diktat to be paid to a bloated quango and lining Denis O'Brien's pocket along the way, it's time to take a stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

My blood pressure is rising here listening to fat arse Cowen. As a rural dweller, I will f**king nail any Fianna Fail canvasser at future elections. And their betrayal of rural people will be ringing in their ears.

Sean has jumped the shark. Game of Thrones :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Why is Bishop Len Brennan being interviewed?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Talk about the actual pay Sean. The "Gender imbalance" was discussed all day yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Mary O'Rourke gets on my wick talking about Vinnie Browne.
    She just goes on and on.......

Mary O'Rourke gets on my wick talking about Vinnie Browne.
    She just goes on and on.......

If only Mary O'Rourke would announce her retirement from media work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone else switch off as soon as they hear the name Mary O'Rourke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone else switch off as soon as they hear the name Mary O'Rourke?

Not as fast as I'd switch off when I hear Vincent Browne's voice, tbh!

Absolutely unbearable in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

theres a thread buried back in the depths of the forum here called Mary Orourke watch

neris wrote: »
    theres a thread buried back in the depths of the forum here called Mary Orourke watch
    I think there was one for MLO'Donnell too. Awful person and so noisy.

I think there was one for MLO'Donnell too. Awful person and so noisy.
    For some unfathomable reason, she's one of my favourite broadcasters. She's like a female, more eloquent version of Paddy O'Gorman.

She's upfront about who she is, and what her political views are, and doesn't pretend to be unbiased; and that's endearing in the media, even if you disagree with her views, as I do.

Oliver Callan used to do a great sketch on MLOD, where she'd be galavanting the country saying ridiculous things like 'I once milked a fox'. Sometimes there's only a fine line between satire and reality, I usually laugh my way through MLOD's broadcasts.

On the other hand, I've never found Mary O'Rourke similarly forgiveable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

For some unfathomable reason, she's one of my favourite broadcasters. She's like a female, more eloquent version of Paddy O'Gorman.

She's upfront about who she is, and what her political views are, and doesn't pretend to be unbiased; and that's endearing in the media, even if you disagree with her views, as I do.

Oliver Callan used to do a great sketch on MLOD, where she'd be galavanting the country saying ridiculous things like 'I once milked a fox'. Sometimes there's only a fine line between satire and reality, I usually laugh my way through MLOD's broadcasts.

There's also a fine line between satire and down right idiocy and MLOD crossed it a long time ago.
    Hyperventilating, OTT nonsense doesn't do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I never understood why all these bodies had Tom Parlon as their spokesperson. He has about as much passion and enthusiasm as the talking clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Callan57 wrote: »
    There's also a fine line between satire and down right idiocy and MLOD crossed it a long time ago.
    Hyperventilating, OTT nonsense doesn't do it for me.

That's her schtick isn't it? Does nothing for me. Neither do her pronouncements regarding government spending given all the handy no.s she's garnered for herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I never understood why all these bodies had Tom Parlon as their spokesperson. He has about as much passion and enthusiasm as the talking clock.

golden-circle.gif

Broadcaster? Ah come on now, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ha ha ha .

will you listen to the revision of history by ff/g and media hacks on the crash !

no luv MANY of us seen this coming. thats why ahern was wishing em to commit suicide and that was looong before the fatal day the troika took over.

this whole peice is the very definition of an "echo chamber"

This should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭gifted

I can hear the shovel going in the background...trying to dig his way out lol lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

He is doing his best to row back here, a huge admirer of the Jewish people now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

todays society is brilliant at taking offence when there is a hint of racism , sexism etc but meanwhile arms dealing, bombings , exploitation of third world countries continues with little more than lip service paid to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭gifted

He's not coming across very well

todays society is brilliant at taking offence when there is a hint of racism , sexism etc but

Certain sectors and lobby groups are very precious about any criticism at all, even when justified. And the media are always ready and willing to jump on board the latest "offensive" material, vilify the author and make a big story out of it. If you don't write in line with the group think that exists in the Irish media, then you are always going to have problems with the editor.

I really couldn't understand why he introduced the Jewish topic in to the article though. That really just brought the story on a different tangent.

How can he have respect for Judaism and then use a hackneyed cultural stereotype to single out two BBC presenters who happen to be Jewish? Makes no sense.

Dr Brian Cowan. I think this is a sad reflection on the value system and motivations of the third level sector.

[QUOTE=PeterTheNinth;104248136]Dr Brian Cowan. I think this is a sad reflection on the value system and motivations of the third level sector.[/QUOTE]

Plough doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

From reading this thread, did Myers make an appearance on SOR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

dulpit wrote: »
    From reading this thread, did Myers make an appearance on SOR?

Yes, the first 20 minutes.

Cervantes2 wrote: »
    Yes, the first 20 minutes.

Looking forward to podcasting that... I feel the internal rage building already.

• Advertisement

Dr Brian Cowan. I think this is a sad reflection on the value system and motivations of the third level sector.

i think it says alot more about how this country is REALLY ran and for who.

they clearly couldnt give less of a fuk what the public think if they tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Certain sectors and lobby groups are very precious about any criticism at all, even when justified. And the media are always ready and willing to jump on board the latest "offensive" material, vilify the author and make a big story out of it. If you don't write in line with the group think that exists in the Irish media, then you are always going to have problems with the editor.

Except it was the editor of the Ireland edition that let the story through, it was the Martin Ivens editor of the Sunday Times in England who sacked Myers. Even Myers himself is admitting he shouldn't have written it. So I don't really see how this fits into your "If you don't write in line with the group think...etc" narrative.

jays does anything show how ropey democracy is here than the fact we just had a discussion on whether the public should be allowed vote for its own president.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

jays does anything show how ropey democracy is here than the fact we just had a discussion on whether the public should be allowed vote for its own president.

:D

Agree. Potentially 14 years between elections is too long. But that's the old way of doing things where the parties just agreed not to hold an election and handed the sitting president the job again. There are enough independents in politics now that there is no way Micky D will get another 7 years unopposed. He promised to only do one term and he has done bugger all with that term having returned the presidency to the dark days of the silent elderly loyal party man sitting in the park. These two factors alone mean enough people don't like him and he will be opposed if he decides to go for a second term. And that's before personal ambition of potential candidates kicks in. There will be an election and Micky D will probably lose if he is foolish enough to go back on his pledge and run.

Miriam is waiting in the wings....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Miriam is waiting in the wings....

I've a great idea. Lets start the Sean O'Rourke 2018 PAC. Sean vs Miriam.

how much is MLOD being paid for this bollocks ?

cawing like a fecking loon.

touts wrote: »
    I've a great idea. Lets start the Sean O'Rourke 2018 PAC. Sean vs Miriam.

I wonder if Miriam would actually put herself forward against Michael Twee if there is an election? It could backfire on her. Maybe she might tell him to stay there (for another seven years).

how much is MLOD being paid for this bollocks ?

cawing like a fecking loon.

I think I read before that she doesn't get paid anything for her SOR pieces...

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    I think I read before that she doesn't get paid anything for her SOR pieces...

Well you couldn't pay me to listen to her that's for sure :eek:

I listened back just to hear her:o

She's not the worst. Her slot can be quite entertaining; it's a fair bit livlier than most of what happens on SOR's show when you're plodding away at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I listened back just to hear her:o

She's not the worst. Her slot can be quite entertaining; it's a fair bit livlier than most of what happens on SOR's show when you're plodding away at work.

Agree there, can be a bit o t t for sure and every male seems to be some kind of a stallion for some reason!

She seems to get a fair bit of a fizz up in her descriptions, but as you say blows some of the dust off the more mundane content of the show.

In small doses. I would suggest.

Read over the first sentence there again, Brendan.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Read over the first sentence there again, Brendan.

Can't see anything too 'wrong ' about it.

What is your point Joe?

:confused:

Can't see anything too 'wrong ' about it.

What is your point Joe?

:confused:
    Sorry Brendan. I read it on the phone with no glasses.

I thought you were saying, "For every mare there's a stallion" and typed "male" instead of "mare".

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    Sorry Brendan. I read it on the phone with no glasses.

I thought you were saying, "For every mare there's a stallion" and typed "male" instead of "mare".

No worries Joe, it's just that every male she meets , well, not to put a tooth in it, seems to get a bit of a 'batter' up with her.

Some of them are surely 43/30 lads carrying a bit of lumber?

Not all 'French Lieutenants' surely,as she seems to imply.

No worries Joe, it's just that every male she meets , well, not to put a tooth in it, seems to get a bit of a 'batter' up with her.

Some of them are surely 43/30 lads carrying a bit of lumber?

Not all 'French Lieutenants' surely,as she seems to imply.

:D:D:D:D

Oh jaysus... he's back.. And he's brought all his metaphors and knock knock jokes with him. :(

"No future, no life".

I think Ruth should use that as her campaign slogan for her next election.

I like Cormac but his interrupting at this stage is just ridiculous. He needs to seriously back off and give people a chance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement