Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

"Mayo found a new way to lose".

What a miserable, mean spirited thing to say.

Good interview with Joan Burton. An interesting insight to the Jobstown case from the victims viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Good lord I haven't heard such an act of hari kari since Berts horsey win.

Complete car crash as she runs from her actions

Howlin must be goin nuts

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Good lord I haven't heard such an act of hari kari since Berts horsey win.

Complete car crash as she runs from her actions

Howlin must be goin nuts

:)

What did she say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

The shinners have enough of their own HR problems, they don't need to be lecturing anybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I doubt the CEO of An Post has ever even been into a rural post office:D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I doubt the CEO of An Post has ever even been into a rural post office:D
    Can see a main reason why he got the job though. Very smooth on radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just listening back to Paddy O'Gorman there, why do so many people who are being interviewed outside the courts refer to pounds instead of euro? Every single piece he does has at least 1 person say something like "a few pound" or similar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

dulpit wrote: »
    Just listening back to Paddy O'Gorman there, why do so many people who are being interviewed outside the courts refer to pounds instead of euro? Every single piece he does has at least 1 person say something like "a few pound" or similar...

Because that's what they do, Dulpit.

In my imagination I thought the move to the Euro would be good.

Now these lads will be 'correct' when they say "I done it for a few Euro'.

Did they say that......nnnnnnnnnoooooo way... Euros all the way

"I done it for a few Euros"

One cannot win agin these lads, the 'done' an 'seen' brigade

White flag, I say, the White flag is raised.:D

Some people, usually elderly people, just do it out of habit.

My Dad was just getting around to decimalised money when the Euro was introduced, which fried his brain altogether.

• Advertisement

My OH refers to all money as “Quids”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭plodder

Or using the singular "pound", when talking about more than one of them.

The business reporter on Morning Ireland does it all the time. It was "28 million pound" for something or other this morning. It sounds so ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

plodder wrote: »

The business reporter on Morning Ireland does it all the time. It was "28 million pound" for something or other this morning. It sounds so ignorant.

Back in pre-Euro days muck savage politicians were forever referring to a millan pound this and that... However, with the introduction of the Euro they will have been seen to triumph as the plural of Euro is not Euros - according to officialdom in Ireland. I always refer to Euros and cents in correspondence, postings on Boards and in everyday conversation. I am a self-confessed dinosaur though and will not use the imposed metric system either. :D

Correct, well spotted.

Adam Maguire I think is his name.

Why does he do it ,I sent several texts to 51551 inquiring as to why.

Did I get any response........did I F**k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think it is ignorant in the other sense to condemn people for using language in a non standard way, once it conveys the intended meaning.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pound

The general plural of "pound" has usually been "pounds" (at least since Chaucer), but the continuing use of the Old English genitive or neuter "pound" as the plural after numerals (for both currency and weight) is common in some regions. It can be considered correct, or colloquial, depending on region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭plodder

I think it is ignorant in the other sense to condemn people for using language in a non standard way, once it conveys the intended meaning.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pound

The general plural of "pound" has usually been "pounds" (at least since Chaucer), but the continuing use of the Old English genitive or neuter "pound" as the plural after numerals (for both currency and weight) is common in some regions. It can be considered correct, or colloquial, depending on region.
    In ordinary conversation perhaps, and maybe this is a matter of opinion too, but I think the national broadcaster should make an effort to encourage standard English, particularly on important news programs like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Maybe Teresa needs to put up her creche fees and pay her staff more if she wants to keep them?

And the 9% VAT rate affects many businesses apart from fancy restaurants and hotels.

Surely the difference between the contributory and non contributory state pension is small enough and not worth this man's ire? Well €30 a week, bigger than I thought..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maybe Teresa needs to put up her creche fees and pay her staff more if she wants to keep them?

what was the problem with the creche and staff?

neris wrote: »
    what was the problem with the creche and staff?
    There was very little provision for childcare in yesterday's budget speech, and the crèche is finding it difficult to keep staff.

• Advertisement

There was very little provision for childcare in yesterday's budget speech, and the crèche is finding it difficult to keep staff.

Hard to get good staff and when it comes to giving more pay the creche are in a catch 22. Increase fees & pay staff more or increase fees and then the parents are giving out

neris wrote: »
    Hard to get good staff and when it comes to giving more pay the creche are in a catch 22. Increase fees & pay staff more or increase fees and then the parents are giving out

Well that's tough ain't it. If the parents want their children well minded, they need to pay an appropriate fee. This business owner complaining that the state is not supporting her enterprise sufficiently is a bit rich.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

They watch MurdochCorp news live in studio.
    rte-1-15_90526215.jpg

Well that's tough ain't it. If the parents want their children well minded, they need to pay an appropriate fee. This business owner complaining that the state is not supporting her enterprise sufficiently is a bit rich.

Barry, there is a limited amount available in a family budget for child care.

Most are paying the equivalent of a second mortgage for that service.

When will people even begin to realize that with young families the costs are huge.

A significant increase in crèche fees would be a bridge too far for at least 70% of the families I know.

Try to be a little more informed please.

problem is the parents want the best care and best facilities but dont want to have to pay for it.

Barry, there is a limited amount available in a family budget for child care.

Most are paying the equivalent of a second mortgage for that service.

When will people even begin to realize that with young families the costs are huge.

A significant increase in crèche fees would be a bridge too far for at least 70% of the families I know.

Try to be a little more informed please.

As a parent, I am perfectly well informed Brendan. My observation relates to this business owner complaining that the state is not subsidising her business sufficiently and preventing her from paying her staff adequately. Once you start down that road, where do you stop? All small business owners (myself included) would love more dosh from the state but do we get it????

Funny to hear Padraig Duffy's main objection to Colm Cooper's testimonial fundraiser - to wit, this type of event draws on the same type of fundraising that the GAA itself engages in. That's what he said. Shades of the clergy in 1930/1940s rural Ireland, closing down house dances on the basis of supposed debauchery and obliging dancing to be run in parish halls. To eliminate competing attractions to parish fundraisers.

The problem is that people (rightly or wrongly) view childcare as an earlier extension of school, but the childcare providers are private enterprises. As far as I see it the state should either not subsidise childcare (and leave it run as a truly private endeavour) or else open state-run childcare facilities, where profit isn't the main concern. There can still be a market then for private childcare, similar to how we have private schools...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Good band coming up. Rackhouse Pilfer. Sound bunch of lads from Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Sean trying hard to whip up a storm about nothing this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jesus, the roaring and shouting over the pensions debacle this morning - "We said it first" "No WE said it first" "NO NO NO WEEEEE SAID IT FIRST"

And Sean had to practically turn the mike off on MaryLou to shut her up.

If they put half the energy they devote to shouting each other down and trying to score points against each other into looking at ways of fixing the problem, it'd be done by next week.

They sound like spoilt kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

When interviewing Catriona Crowe this morning on the failure of religious orders and Catholic Church in general to allow their archives to be accessible, Sean said that he was declaring a family interest in that his daughter worked for some organisation. I missed what the organisation was.

Radio5 wrote: »
    When interviewing Catriona Crowe this morning on the failure of religious orders and Catholic Church in general to allow their archives to be accessible, Sean said that he was declaring a family interest in that his daughter worked for some organisation. I missed what the organisation was.

I'm guessing it's this: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lawyer-wins-new-award-for-magdalene-campaign-29521699.html

I knew she was a barrister, but didn't know about that. Fair play to her. He must be incredibly proud.

Two issues bother me about these "character witness" statements:

1. The convicted person is being sentenced for the crime they have committed & the judge is already aware of any previous convictions so what is the point of these character statements? As in this case we have over the last few years seen numerous "pillars of the community" who none the less have committed henious crimes.

2. Surely this discriminates against someone convicted of the same crime but who isn't a so-called "pillar of the community" or doesn't have access to well know, respected, high profile people to submit character references. I thought we were all supposed to be equal before the law!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Callan57 wrote: »
    Two issues bother me about these "character witness" statements:

1. The convicted person is being sentenced for the crime they have committed & the judge is already aware of any previous convictions so what is the point of these character statements? As in this case we have over the last few years seen numerous "pillars of the community" who none the less have committed henious crimes.

2. Surely this discriminates against someone convicted of the same crime but who isn't a so-called "pillar of the community" or doesn't have access to well know, respected, high profile people to submit character references. I thought we were all supposed to be equal before the law!
    Didn't you get the memo? If you are a rich, respected paedophile, you are better than a poor paedophile!

This guy is a Garda SUPERINTENDENT!!!!!! Holy Mother of God is this what a once great force has come to? Spin, spin, waffle, waffle, waffle ....

Full on apologist mode.

FFS people need to be sacked for gross misconduct.

Seán needs to go to town on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Sean's definately getting done for speeding on his way home this evening

If a guy was sitting in a Garda station when he was supposedly out manning a checkpoint & being paid to do it ... is that not dishonest?

People of integrity and honesty do the job they are paid to do regardless of whether or not a boss is watching over their shoulder ... lack of supervision is probably the lamest excuse ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no-one is watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Callan57 wrote: »
    This guy is a Garda SUPERINTENDENT!!!!!! Holy Mother of God is this what a once great force has come to? Spin, spin, waffle, waffle, waffle ....

Car crash stuff.

It reminded me of the Roddy Molloy interview about FAS' spending a few years back with PK.

Is it April 1 already :confused:
    "Cultural exchanges with North Korea" ... just what we really need!!!!! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be a fan, but have to say I thought Halligan handled the interview on SOR show well.

Said all the right things and d came across as sincere.

This thing probably put to bed now..?

[QUOTE
    This thing probably put to bed now..?QUOTE]

Hopefully. I can't take any more of it :mad: - so many important issues and this nonsense just goes on and on.

Interesting debate between the various people involved in homeless provision. The 'official' and 'funded' services with full time staff being undercut by volunteers and part timers. But all of this to whose benefit?

Interesting debate between the various people involved in homeless provision. The 'official' and 'funded' services with full time staff being undercut by volunteers and part timers. But all of this to whose benefit?

The cynic in me tells me there’s nice little earners in the ‘homeless industry’

I thought Sean was very obtuse with the council official who I feel has bravery stuck her head above the parapet and spoke honestly about these unregulated and unvetted "heroes".

feminst mental breakdown over some nobody blueshirt on twitter calling policitans stupid bitches Etc .

complete LOLfest.

:D

feminst mental breakdown over some nobody blueshirt on twitter calling policitans stupid bitches Etc .

complete LOLfest.

:D
    The real entertainment came from the usually sensible Kate O'Connell on Newstalk.
    Anyone who responds to criticism with "yeah whatever" is not really putting forward a credible argument.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement