Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm sure Ruby and Ted are nice lads,but both are a bit 'gobby' for this poster.

You should hear the daughter.

God love the poor girl but there's not much activity between the lugs.

Must have rode "work" without a helmet a few times I suspect..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

padd b1975 wrote: »
    You should hear the daughter.

God love the poor girl but there's not much activity between the lugs.

Must have rode "work" without a helmet a few times I suspect..

I don't know the Walsh's personally and would not claim to be their biggest fan, but with the greatest respect, you don't have a clue what you are talking about. She has a very slight speech impediment, that is all, and what you are suggesting is way way wide of the mark.

I don't know the Walsh's personally and would not claim to be their biggest fan, but with the greatest respect, you don't have a clue what you are talking about. She has a very slight speech impediment, that is all, and what you are suggesting is way way wide of the mark.

It's what she says that's important, not how she says it.

But feel free to get offended on her behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's what she says that's important, not how she says it.

But feel free to get offended on her behalf.

I dont do offence at stuff written on the internet. Just saying you are very grievously wrong in what you said, that is all. Nothing more to add here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

quintana76 wrote: »
    Can't stand those weekly gatherings.
    I enjoy the weekly gatherings myself, but this mornings one was not good between Damien losing control (resulting in people speaking over each other) and (at least one) non-practicising Catholic getting very het up on what's going on (or not going on) in the Catholic Church - numbers attending mass on a regular basis tell you all you need to know about what people think of what's going on in the Church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think the weekly gatherings can throw up some gems of unscripted comment. Often these are precipitated by the hurly burly of a robust debate. There are risks in such debates and they can get away from the chair on occasion. On the whole I feel they are risks worth taking especially in these PR infected times when so many seek to sanitise and contain discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Very surprised this week to hear that the Sean O'Rourke show were using that clip of Mary McAleese (revealing that her brother had been physically abused) to promote the show. I thought it was a bit trite and disrespectful to do this. Which is especially surprising given that Sean gave her the softest interview ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Valerie Cox grand as a reporter but there's a time for everyone to move on and give someone else a chance at the gig.

If people want to work after 65, let them be self employed as she is now.

Make space for younger people in salaried jobs and stop complaining about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Valerie Cox grand as a reporter but there's a time for everyone to move on and give someone else a chance at the gig.

If people want to work after 65, let them be self employed as she is now.

Make space for younger people in salaried jobs and stop complaining about it.

That’s common sense, otherwise all you will have is a clutch of ‘lifers’ hanging on for dear life to their terms and conditions, costing a fcuking fortune, while the people coming after wither on the vine.

Go out and apply to be a reporter in some other outlet, and see if they will match your terms and conditions in the ‘mother ship’,will they fcukk!!!!!

Let’s get real here peeps.

The sense of entitlement from Valerie Cox. She is a contractor so RTE should have been entitled to get rid of her whenever they wanted, like any other job. These RTE heads want it every way. They want all the benefits of being a sole operator AND to have a permanent job.

If I ever find her outside rooting through my bins, I will tell her exactly what I think of her.

• Advertisement

The sense of entitlement from Valerie Cox. She is a contractor so RTE should have been entitled to get rid of her whenever they wanted, like any other job. These RTE heads want it every way. They want all the benefits of being a sole operator AND to have a permanent job.

If I ever find her outside rooting through my bins, I will tell her exactly what I think of her.

She was a staffer, not a contractor..

What does she want, get carried out of there on a gurney.

She was a staffer, not a contractor..

What does she want, get carried out of there on a gurney.

Im slightly amazed by her arrangement, being both a staffer AND a contractor?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0321/949154-valerie-cox/

"Ms Cox had two separate contracts of employment with RTÉ, with two separate sets of terms and conditions.

The first, dating from August 2004, was a full-time contract of direct employment, which involved work as a radio reporter on progammes including Today with Sean O'Rourke.

That contract terminated on 8 March 2016 when she reached the age of 65.

The second contract, which commenced in August 2003, was a casual or irregular contract to do "It Says in the Papers" for which she was paid a daily rate."

Im confused by why someone is given a full time job as a reporter is let keep a casual position too? Would this not have rolled into the full time position when she began that?

It looks like a nice litle sweetener on top of the full time job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

What did she do that was so important? All I ever heard of her was on Pat Kenny, and in in more recent times, Sean O Rourke. Mostly stuff about littering and forestry.

Her gripe was losing the "What it says in the papers" gig. I've never heard it but I'm sure any apprentice journalist could have done it. She won't starve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭elperello

She was a good competent on the ground reporter and sent in many well researched and interesting pieces to Pat Kenny and others over the years.

Any chance we could expel a few waffler Irish politicians whilst we are it?

Any chance we could expel a few waffler Irish politicians whilst we are it?

Brid Smith and Boyd-Barrett would be a good start.

Good call Barry.

Sounds like Sean doesn't really agree with the outcome of the Belfast trial. He's been told that there was no surprise in the case failing and yet still seems to be searching for some angle to muddy the defendants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

This John Spillane Day sounds brilliant!

Might have to head over to Cark next week :D

David Trimble still as warm as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

David Trimble still as warm as I remember.

It's Lord:rolleyes: Trimble now.

It's Lord:rolleyes: Trimble now.

So it is.

Lord or not, you'll struggle to hear a more curt 'good morning' anywhere.

Are we to believe that Willie John McBride and his rugger buggers haven't had similar conversations about their sexual exploits when they were drinking their He-Man pints after the games? I think the only thing about PJ and the lads is that their private conversations were made public. Interesting to hear that there is absolutely no comment on the fact that the complainant herself referred to the other girls at the party as "acting slutty". Seems like it's okay for other women to refer to women in such terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Height of respect for willie John but really he was out of his depth today. When he was asked about the WhatsApp messages he was bewildered. Then blamed alcohol for the whole episode. It played its part yes but lot of other factors. I got the feeling he was prevailed upon by the ulster supporters club to go on and defend them.

Height of respect for willie John but really he was out of his depth today.

Think he was just calling for a bit of common sense. Who can cast the first stone etc

Think he was just calling for a bit of common sense. Who can cast the first stone etc

That’s fair enough but when whatsapp messages were mentioned he hadn’t a notion about what was involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Irish politicians saying ‘west Minister ‘ ...morons .

That’s fair enough but when whatsapp messages were mentioned he hadn’t a notion about what was involved.

That too is fair enough, different generation. What Willie John and his mates might have said is gone with the wind. These particular chaps fell foul of the written word, what would have been quickly forgotten 'banter' in Willie John's day is now committed to text in this generation. But why is one worse than the other? He's a hero, they're zero.

Height of respect for willie John but really he was out of his depth today. When he was asked about the WhatsApp messages he was bewildered. Then blamed alcohol for the whole episode. It played its part yes but lot of other factors. I got the feeling he was prevailed upon by the ulster supporters club to go on and defend them.

What other factors?

what would have been quickly forgotten 'banter' in Willie John's day is now committed to text in this generation.
    Yep. Never put in writing what you wouldn't be happy repeating to ... (your granny/mother/OH/a full football stadium with a megaphone etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The GAA guy had a way with words there.

"Since the arrival of ladies teams...and that sort of thing... who are obviously ladies"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

bare knuckle boxing been rebranded, well maybe its part of their culture to rebrand stuff

God, that MLOD is a terrible spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

God, that MLOD is a terrible spoofer.

Of the highest order!

Had to check the date in case it April 1st! Just heard Antrim county footballer Patrick Gallagher telling us in the Republic how to vote in upcoming referendum!! Leaving aside he's a young man who likely knows feck all about life, quite extraordinary that the likes of him and Mickey Harte of Tyrone are sticking their noses into our business. Just in case they don't realise, this is the Republic and they live in Northern Ireland :(

RTE allowing Sarah Carey on a panel is shameful. And after they facilitated Gerald Keane's defence of Martin Callinan, you would have thought they would have make new rules to prevent stooges from being allowed to bat for their masters on the national airwaves.

after they facilitated Gerald Keane's defence of Martin Callinan
    In fairness, RTE couldn't have been aware of the extent of the briefing by Callinan which has only come to light in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just listening back to Paddy O'Gorman segment. They need to start making attachment orders on fines for people who say they won't pay. Take it from their wages or social welfare, whichever.

dulpit wrote: »
    Just listening back to Paddy O'Gorman segment. They need to start making attachment orders on fines for people who say they won't pay. Take it from their wages or social welfare, whichever.

Dulpo, my friend......the lawyers...think about it....these homies appear again and again , month after month...now think free legal aid....cash cow...why cut off a nice cash cow for the legal eagles funded by those who pay for everything.

We don’t want to cut off our income stream do we.?

Surely not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

How many conflicts of interest can this program have before someone in RTE says hold on here for a minute. Now we have Sean O`Rourke`s wife Catherine Murphy who has just left RTE to work as press adviser to Charlie Flanagan Minister of Justice. Also we have his daughter Maeve O`Rourke herself a lawyer and now legal adviser to Justice for Magdalenes tweeting "Thanks Charlie Flanagan for doing the right thing" in relation to the redress scheme. Any interviews with Fine Gael politicians with a table spoon of salt in future.................

Drifter50 wrote: »
    How many conflicts of interest can this program have before someone in RTE says hold on here for a minute. Now we have Sean O`Rourke`s wife Catherine Murphy who has just left RTE to work as press adviser to Charlie Flanagan Minister of Justice. Also we have his daughter Maeve O`Rourke herself a lawyer and now legal adviser to Justice for Magdalenes tweeting "Thanks Charlie Flanagan for doing the right thing" in relation to the redress scheme. Any interviews with Fine Gael politicians with a table spoon of salt in future.................
    Caroline Murphy I presume you mean.

Last I heard, she was operating as some sort of shrink when not "reading the papers".

• Advertisement

Caroline Murphy I presume you mean.

Last I heard, she was operating as some sort of shrink when not "reading the papers".

Hmmm seems to be a lot of ‘shrinks ‘ emanating from those quarters.:confused:

Murphy the Newsman

Sadlier

Now Caroline Murphy.

Cannot get a handle on it,me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If I had intended to vote NO Ganley would make me change my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Boys and girls" must be his phrase de jour

Them: "Declan Ganley vs Colm O'Gorman

Me: "No thank you, I am boiling my own head this morning instead of listening"

Them: "Declan Ganley vs Colm O'Gorman

Me: "No thank you, I am boiling my own head this morning instead of listening"

Heh heh heh..two lads adept at relieving J Q Taxpayer of his Eurons.

Nah buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Agreed, Ganley came across very poorly today.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Agreed, Ganley came across very poorly today.

Yep. I’m no fan of Colm o Gorman but ganley was his own worst enemy today. Came across as bullying and pedantic and smarmy.

Hmmm ...the bewer on SOR about sugar in food is getting on my wick.

Strawerberries....... bit of a weapon I would opine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Cripes that's woman is difficult to listen to ... Sean dragging every word out of her

• Advertisement

Are RTE going to interview every person with a cancer diagnosis? It's getting ridiculous at this stage and people are being used as political footballs to be kicked about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement