Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best PAYG or 30 day contract for phone with data

Options
  • 27-08-2013 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi

Im trying to find a PAYG or 30 day contract that has at least 2gb Internet.

I'm currently on Three unlimited data package for 20 Euro per month but find the data speeds in Dublin to be very slow and fluctuate greatly.

Calls and text aren't terribly important for me. Can anyone suggest a suitable plan as I have even looking around and can't find anything.

The only networks that I would consider are Meteor, eMobile, Vodafone and O2.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I know you said you'll only consider those 4 networks but 48 has one with all calls and all texts to any network, and 5GB for 20 a month. 48 also have one with 50 mins to any network, 100 texts to any network and 15GB for 15 a month. They're on the O2 network. I know they say they're for a particular age range but they never ask what age you are, even when you sign up.

Tesco mobile, which also runs on the O2 network, has unlimited any network texts and unlimited data for 25 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Thanks for the very helpful response.

The points that you make about Tesco and 48 being on o2 are very interesting. What I would really like to know is how good the data speeds are on these networks and if perhaps o2 gives preference to their own customers over those of 48 and Tesco when providing data connections.

Do you or anyone else have comments on this?

Thanks

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I know you said you'll only consider those 4 networks but 48 has one with all calls and all texts to any network, and 5GB for 20 a month. 48 also have one with 50 mins to any network, 100 texts to any network and 15GB for 15 a month. They're on the O2 network. I know they say they're for a particular age range but they never ask what age you are, even when you sign up.

Tesco mobile, which also runs on the O2 network, has unlimited any network texts and unlimited data for 25 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Thanks for the very helpful response.

The points that you make about Tesco and 48 being on o2 are very interesting. What I would really like to know is how good the data speeds are on these networks and if perhaps o2 gives preference to their own customers over those of 48 and Tesco when providing data connections.

Do you or anyone else have comments on this?

Thanks

I'm with Tesco but not a heavy 3G data user and I jump on wifi at work and home. The issue with Tesco is that they are currently capped at 2Mb on the o2 network. That is supposed to change but when...? Nothing will happen until the 3 buyout has been completed for sure. The slight issue I have with Tesco using o2 masts is that I'm rarely out of coverage for voice but I only ever seem to get 2G Edge when outside of a urban area. A pain but I find the Tesco price plan to be the best for my needs so can live with it.

But if data matters to you then Tesco (o2) isn't the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Thanks for this response. I just think that Tesco and 48 will be restricted in terms of download speeds by O2.
    MBSnr wrote: »
    I'm with Tesco but not a heavy 3G data user and I jump on wifi at work and home. The issue with Tesco is that they are currently capped at 2Mb on the o2 network. That is supposed to change but when...? Nothing will happen until the 3 buyout has been completed for sure. The slight issue I have with Tesco using o2 masts is that I'm rarely out of coverage for voice but I only ever seem to get 2G Edge when outside of a urban area. A pain but I find the Tesco price plan to be the best for my needs so can live with it.

But if data matters to you then Tesco (o2) isn't the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Vodafone: No speed cap
    O2: No speed cap
    Meteor: No speed cap
    eMobile: No speed cap
    48: ~1Mbps
    Tesco: ~2Mbps

Cheapest I have found is the 30 Day SIM only from eMobile for €30pm. Unlimited calls, texts, and data, and using the Meteor backbone. There is no contract.

I am on Three, and I am a customer from the start, now in a grandfathered 3Pay plan where I am getting all the current offers, but with more free credit as a bonus. I would prefer better data coverage, but I am sticking for now. Personally, I would like to move to eMobile except for the rubbish billing team, previous bad experience, and the fact that I don’t want to support Eircom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement