Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salad bar beetroot

Options
  • 27-08-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all,

I absolutely love the beetroots in salad bars (like the one in Dunnes), but all the beets I've tried at home either taste to vinegar-y or too root-y. Anyone know whats put with the beets to give them the sweeter taste that you get at a salad bar?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

some kind of dressing with honey maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Did you try the beetroots in the vacuum pack? They are in the veg aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

yeah most poorer quality deli's (i.e. most in Dublin) use the vac packed beetroot available at most supermarkets. Buy it raw and roast it yourself is your best option if that's a possibility for you

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Davdee1

Grew beetroot for first time this year. Absolutely best I have tasted. So if you have small patch of ground in sun you may try this next springtime. That way you decide what flavour. Also ask staff at salad.bar what they add to the beetroot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Davdee1 wrote: »
    Also ask staff at salad.bar what they add to the beetroot

Shedloads of sugar, would be my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

Thanks for the replies,

Yeh I've tried the vaccum packed one, its got such a harsh root taste though! Although I only had it in a salad and raw, maybe roasted might soften the flavour a bit.

Ha, I was afraid to ask in Dunnes incase they said something relly sugary and ruined it for me. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i hate tesco's in general, but in their 'finest' selection they have sweetfire baby beetroot and it's gorgeous. nice and sweet with a spicy kick (but not too spicy). they're approx. cherry tomato sized and lovely in a salad. highly recommended. :)

Lidoff_225x225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

I asked, its balsamic vinegar and honey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

emz8 wrote: »
    I asked, its balsamic vinegar and honey!

Thanks for posting this. I recently got a good few beets for cheap enough.

I grated a raw one, added a couple of tablespoons of Vinegar (1 Balsamic, 1 Cider, as I only had a small amount of Balsamic left) and a tablespoon of honey, plus a few shakes of ground allspice.

It's absolutely delicious

Advertisement