Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance

Options
  • 27-08-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭

I understand the importance of having house insurance these days and the foolishness of not having it in case something happens but i was just wondering if you have an oustanding mortgage is their a legal/mandatory requirement to have it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your mortgage contract probably requires you to have structural insurance (but not contents) to the value of the mortgage. Read the contract, if you want to be entirely certain.

Mine not only requires it, but it requires a form signing over the benefit from that section of the policy to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

MYOB wrote: »
    Your mortgage contract probably requires you to have structural insurance (but not contents) to the value of the mortgage.

To the rebuild value of the property not the value of the mortgage. The bank will want security of the asset in case of default and if there was a fire etc they want a policy in place to cover the cost of repair ao they still have an asset of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kkelliher wrote: »
    To the rebuild value of the property not the value of the mortgage. The bank will want security of the asset in case of default and if there was a fire etc they want a policy in place to cover the cost of repair ao they still have an asset of value.

Good point - I'm way too tired to be posting. It'll be the rebuild costs they'll require.

I've never heard of a mortgage contract without that requirement, but if I said there were none someone would find one.

Advertisement