Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private versus community creche

Options
  • 27-08-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

My daughter attends community creche at the moment and this year is her free pre school year. I am considering moving her to private creche. What are people's experiences, do you think private creches offer more activities and individual approach, etc? or is it all the same? Has anyone any comments about Giraffe childcare? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My eldest went to Giraffe IFSC and we found them brilliant.
    It depends on the community creche,I am involved with one and it is amazing,staff turn over is low and it is like a little family. It is also a not for profit charity,sometimes they tend to have more HSE visits because of how they are funded.
    The community creches also have a cap on how much they can charge even to parents that do not qualify for subvention.
    Every creche needs to be judged on its own merits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

anny_ap wrote: »
    My dd attends community creche at the moment and this year is her free pre school year. I am considering moving her to private creche. What are people's experiences, do you think private creches offer more activities and individual approach, etc? or is it all the same? Has anyone any comments about Giraffe childcare? Thanks

whats dd stand for?
    What are community creches? are they hse? any ideas on how much they are?
    Ive been thinking after my little lad gets to a certain age he could go to creche so I can look for a job, assuming I can get a job to cover the costs, but he's very clingy and wont go to other people, so much so, that its impossible to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Dd stands for darling daughter I think.. It's forum speak...

Community crèches are ran on a not for profit basis, which means they can provide schemes like cets and CSS... Which are reduced rate childcare if you are on benefits, doing a course fas or have a medical card.. Also there is a new scheme to help people on the dole take part time work which means you get heavily subsidised childcare... Google community crèche and find one in your area. If you are a single parent or on job seekers etc the subvention schemes can really help to get you back to work or education, for instance if you are on back to work scheme or education you will get 100 euros a week paid for you into the community crèche..... If you are a single parent also.... You can avail of cheap part time, full time or sessional crèche at a reduced rate. Community crèches also usually have people who do not have subvention so they have a mix of working and non working families who avail of the service. The community crèche in my area far and exceeds the standards of the private crèches.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

http://www.mccc.ie/docs/CCSBandsandRates_2012.pdf

Tis explains the bands for subvention in community crèches.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

My little boy attends a community creche, we do not qualify for subvention so we pay full fee, he attended a private creche for 6 months and then we moved him to the community creche because it is nearer to our home but more importantly it has great reviews, i find it brilliant and appears to have the same staff there since it opened!!!! fabulous facility and by far a better run establishment than the private creche he previously attended, for one the staff seem much happier and friendlier, but each creche should be judged on its own merit as previously said, but we are happier with the community creche, we are lucky to have it so close to our home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Rose35 wrote: »
    My little boy attends a community creche, we do not qualify for subvention so we pay full fee, he attended a private creche for 6 months and then we moved him to the community creche because it is nearer to our home but more importantly it has great reviews, i find it brilliant and appears to have the same staff there since it opened!!!! fabulous facility and by far a better run establishment than the private creche he previously attended, for one the staff seem much happier and friendlier, but each creche should be judged on its own merit as previously said, but we are happier with the community creche, we are lucky to have it so close to our home.

Although at our limits regarding finances, I dont think we would qualify for this subvention either, which I assume means a credit towards the cost,
    can i ask you (if you dont mind, and if you dont maybe by pm) how much does it cost you?
    We are in Dublin

If you do mind, I understand, no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

cerastes wrote: »
    Although at our limits regarding finances, I dont think we would qualify for this subvention either, which I assume means a credit towards the cost,
    can i ask you (if you dont mind, and if you dont maybe by pm) how much does it cost you?
    We are in Dublin

If you do mind, I understand, no problems

No problem - pm sent

Advertisement