Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil for dry Skin around Ankle and Wrist on 10 day old toddler

Options
  • 27-08-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

What oils would you use for a infant to offset dry skin? Our little one seems to be pealing around his wrists and ankles.

The missus is looking for some organic oils but what would be best on his new and soft skin.

The hospital suggested that we use olive oil - what do posters use? Johnson Baby oil?

Where can you pick up organic oils?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Congrats on your new baby op.

It's quite normal for a newborns skin to peel after birth and the more overdue the baby, the worse it tends to be. It typically takes about a week to all shed and isn't a sign of dry skin as such.

Olive oil is very safe and good to use on newborn skin. I'd stay clear of johnsons baby oil for a while yet as it does have chemicals in it.

If you're still looking for something else, you can get cold pressed vegetable oils in health shops which are used in baby massage and are safe.

Hope that helps a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

M007 wrote: »
    What oils would you use for a infant to offset dry skin? Our little one seems to be pealing around his wrists and ankles.

The missus is looking for some organic oils but what would be best on his new and soft skin.

The hospital suggested that we use olive oil - what do posters use? Johnson Baby oil?

Where can you pick up organic oils?

We've used coconut oil for everything since day one. It's fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

Where is the best place to get some coconut oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got coconut oil in Dunnes Stores yesterday, its stocked with the other oils (eg olive). For the dry skin you're talking about I'd use e45 or silcocks base (gp recommended them to us). Baby oil or the similar products aren't something I'd use on a baby.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Almond, coconut, olive oil. They're all good.

This sort of dry skin normally sorts itself out though with a bit of peeling. I used almond oil on my son's for a couple of days but I forgot after that. Then it just peeled off anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

silcocks base and emulsifying ointment are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Congrats OP,

Breast milk is the wonder cure for everything... cracked nips on mom - breast milk, dry skin on baby - breast milk :)

I am not a BF nazi or anything but my SIL is a Cuidu counselor and she tells me all about this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I used silcoks base for my little mans dry skin on wrists and ankles used it in the bath too, dry skin didn't last too long at all

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

I don't like Johnson' products, they were tested n found having safety problems in China market in 2009. Olive oil is the best, although it doesn't smell that nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

We used Silcock's base too on our LO - it cleared up when he was about 3 weeks old. The phn also recommended olive oil to us.

OT, was anyone else confused by the title? It says 10 day old Toddler and I was thinking how can you be so exact as to when a baby becomes a toddler that you know it was ten days ago?

I really need to get some more sleep! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    We used Silcock's base too on our LO - it cleared up when he was about 3 weeks old. The phn also recommended olive oil to us.

OT, was anyone else confused by the title? It says 10 day old Toddler and I was thinking how can you be so exact as to when a baby becomes a toddler that you know it was ten days ago?

I really need to get some more sleep! :)

Yes I stll am confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Hey,

We haven't put any oils or lotions on our now (nearly) 4 weeks old girl. We bath her every two days so as not to dry out her skin and we only once found her skin dry. The dry skin didn't last very long about a day or two. Her skin has been fine throughout, apart from this one time. We use a very small amount of baby bubbles in her bath. I would be reluctant to put anything unnecessary on my girl's skin. I would try spacing out bath day and see if that makes any difference. If not then maybe get some advice from PHN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I wouldn't put anything on your baby's skin for the moment, it'll peel off anyway, and it'll be gone in a couple of days or a week. My son was overdue and all his skin peeled off within 10 days of his birth, after that he had no issues with dry skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Bathing in oilatum is the best I've found for keeping skin supple

Advertisement