Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

404s within TouchBoards

Options
  • 27-08-2013 10:48pm
    Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    Is this project still active?
    I sometimes use my phone to catch up and in the last couple of months there has been a slight (not critical) glitch.
    On startup I open at 'my threads'.
    Upon selection I get a 404 error with a page of poetic prose from boards.
    Refreshing resumes normal service ~~ until I go back and select another thread!
    Touch is going nowhere and it's very much active. It is no longer in beta though, so bug reports tend to get their own thread. Next time you reach a 404 page from my threads please post the link you received the 404 on to this thread (or start a new one if you prefer) and we'll do our best to get to the bottom of the problem.

Danny
    Pick a thread; any thread, and get a 404.
    e.g. a few minutes ago I took the first thread in 'LATEST' and got the prose.
    Ditto whenever I change to another thread.
    ...or as I've just discovered, the same happens after posting.
    This applies to phone and tablet.
    Will try it on PC tomorrow. :)
    Hi,

I'll still need you to copy the full URL you're hitting into a post before we can look in to it.

Danny
    ' I'd already said "Pick a thread; any thread, and get a 404."

There's no 404 there for me :confused:

Danny
    ' At this point I wondered what device Danny used. I tried TouchBoards on a PC and there was no error. I didn't bother asking him what he used and having to press the refresh button to move between threads, whilst a bit annoying, is not too much of a problem.

C'est la vie
    261380.png

Forgot to include this with an earlier post, so here it is for anyone who may have wondered what 'poetic prose' I was talking about.

' I hadn't used 'touch' for a few months so can't be sure about when this actually started.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

What device / OS / browser are you using when encountering the above issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've been getting the same the past few days. iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2, safari. It's not happening all the time but fairly regularly. I hit refresh when it happens and I'm brought to the thread and my post is there twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Getting it here. Android 4.1.2 Chrome 28.0.1.500.64

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Am using HP-Pre3 and HP-TouchPad both of which use WebOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Same problem intermittently for me, iPhone 5, Safari, latest iOS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Same problem intermittently for me, iPhone 5, Safari, latest iOS

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Not sure if it's related but I have hit an occasional 404s in multi page threads when going forward and back. It looks like the page number is appended to the existing url. Eg touch.boards.ie/[thread id]/205/ would end up as touch.boards.ie/[thread id]/205/206.
    Stock 4.2 Android browser. Seemingly random and only very occasional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Been getting 404s all day today using my galaxy s3 on the touch site :( Speed of opening threads is also extremely slow. However, everything goes fine when I go to the boards full site on the same device. Please fix magic computer fairies :D

Getting lots of 404 errors this evening trying to access threads. Ironically enough, I got one trying to access this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yep, the 404s have gone off the scale tonight for whatever reason. I've gotten loads in the space of a few minutes tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Same for me this evening, every second thread I go into since about 9pm

Stock android browser on xperia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I was just about to report the same as other posters here. The last few weeks you wouldn't mind the occasional 404, but all day today there's been a fierce amount of them, and the touch site has been very slow to respond all day too.

Device: Nokia N8

Operating System: Custom Firmware based on Belle Refresh

Browser: Opera 12

EDIT: Just pressed "Post Reply" and got a 404

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I've gotten a couple of 404s after hitting "post reply", but my posts are showing up when I look for them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is still happening periodically. Any updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

This is still happening periodically. Any updates?

We've confirmed the issue here, we'll be taking a look into potential fixes now today / tomorrow. Will hopefully have some updates by this evening. Thanks for your patience regards this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Boards.ie: Alvis

Hey guys,

A loading spinner has been added to the touch site to try and mitigate this problem. We know it's not ideal, but right now it is the quickest way to solve the underlying problem unfortunately. Can you let me know if you see another 404 please?

Thanks,
    Alvis.

At time of writing there has been no change at my end.

At time of writing there has been no change at my end.

Sorry to hear that you're still getting these. If you don't mind; would you like to answer a few questions to help us get down to this issue?

You say you pick any thread and it 404s, is this still happening? Do you get them constantly? Are there any particular times of the day you'd get a 404 more often or is it all the time? What's the frequency of it happening when replying to existing threads versus creating new threads on the touch site?

Are you using the default web browser that's on WebOS?

I was getting a few 404s last night, not creating a post, just moving to the next page of a thread.

iOS 7.0.2
    Safari

Sorry to hear that you're still getting these. If you don't mind; would you like to answer a few questions to help us get down to this issue?

You say you pick any thread and it 404s, is this still happening?
    Yes

Do you get them constantly?
    Yes

Are there any particular times of the day you'd get a 404 more often or is it all the time?
    All the time. i.e. every time I use Touch.Boards.

What's the frequency of it happening when replying to existing threads versus creating new threads on the touch site?
    Replying or creating can be simply classed as 'posting'. When a post is submitted I get the '404'. This does not affect the actual post.

Are you using the default web browser that's on WebOS?
    Yes.

When I get a '404', either as a result of posting or just browsing from thread to thread, a tap on 'refresh' takes me to where I should be.

Example from earlier in forum main index:

Select - Browse Forums -> O.K.
    Select - Region -> O.K.
    Select - Abroad -> O.K.
    Select - United Kingdom -> O.K.
    Select - Boards.ie equivalent in UK? -> 404
    Tapping refresh loads the requested thread.

• Advertisement

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/300969-browser-does-not-redirect.html

It appears that there are known issues with the WebOS browser and redirect links. We use redirects when you post anything or open threads to bring to the correct page of a thread. Are you able to try another browser and let us know how you get along with that please?

Out of curiosity, in that last example you gave, was the URL in your address bar http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/86391272 when you encounter the 404 after clicking on that "Boards.ie equivalent in UK" thread? If you go to that URL directly in your browser (putting it into the address bar), does the redirect work?

The WebOS link is 2½ years old. The OS has been updated twice since then and it's only during the last six months approx. that the 404s started.

If I enter the other link manually I still get a the 404. This applies from within or from outside boards.ie.

I shall have a look at what other browser I can try but later. - Too tired just now.

No success with an alternative browser.

Accidentally opened m.boards.ie and surprise...
    ...no problems.

So I decided to try the full web site and again no problems, except that it's not practical on a phone.

The 404s now have a 'are you sure' question prepended to the 'prose'.

279184.png

It's a pity the 'prose' is always the same.
    'Twould be nice to have some variety.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just to add to this, in iOS 7 on m.boards.ie if I clock view full site I get a touch 404

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement