Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsuccessful Applicant TCD - entitlement to feedback?

Options
  • 27-08-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I was an unsuccessful applicant to TCD Occupation Therapy - I got as far as interview stage only. I wish to re-apply for my course choice for 2014 and since mid-June I have been asking Admissions / the OT Department for feedback ... I am being fobbed off constantly and Admissions directing me to the Department, then the department directing me back to Admissions ... this has been going on for WEEKS.
    I tell them that the feedback is vital so that I can make the necessary course choices for September (ie other course choices which will improve my chances for Sep 2014) ... and yet they still are just NOT RESPONDING at this stage.
    Is it my entitlement to get feedback? I don't want to get up their noses by my persistence, but at the same time I don't know why my application was not successful in teh first place and thus I don't know what steps I must do to improve it for 2014? Advice?
    Humbird

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Maybe if you put your request in writing it might be answered. All public bodies are supposed to have a customer service charter. I had a quick look on the TCD site but can only find charters for individual departments however there should be one for Admissions or Academic Registry.

Alternatively you could think about contacting the Information Compliance office in TCD. I'm not sure if your request falls under the Freedom of Information act but this is the office that deals with those requests.
    http://www.tcd.ie/info_compliance/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I have found it best to treat any feedback or appraisal (including the binary feedback of acceptance or rejection) you receive from large institutions or organizations with a high degree of skepticism and cynicism unless there is reason to think otherwise. Don't trust their feedback very much as it could be corrupted by many things. If you could get someone with "insider" information on knowledge on what they're looking for, that would probably be ideal. However on the other hand that could give you an unfair advantage, and also you have to ask yourself do you really want to be involved with such an organization that does things like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Humbird

Hi Paperclip, thanks for your tips. I have contacted TCD Information Compliance Officer as you requested and they are very responsive and trying to get to the bottom of things. I have gone through all my emails to TCD Admissions and the specific department in question where I had applied and in fact my request for feedback goes back to 23rd May .... I have been VERY patient!
    I am slightly concerned though that it will be held against me that I am persistent in my requests (although every request has been very polite, despite my frustration).
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Humbird

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ravenello

Hi Hummingbird,

Seems like Im having a case of deja vu reading your post!
    I applied for both OT & Speech therapy in Trinity & since my interviews back in May I have been asking for feedback. I have contacted both admissions and the departments & each one inturn says its up to the other to give feedback on the interview.
    I ask how hard is it to review someones interview and email the details out to them.
    By now I feel like contacting them to tell them that their a shower of very unhelpfull you know whats!:(

Advertisement