Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to pay if you fail a repeat?

Options
  • 27-08-2013 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

So I was just on the ULSU website and saw this:

I sat repeat exams and did badly. What do I do?
    If you have deficient grades (i.e. you have an F/NG, or your QCA is below 2.0) you will receive notification in the form of a letter from the university. You must fill in that form and pay the fees to the Fees Office (€568 per module) by the deadline.

Does this mean if you fail a repeat, you have to pay the money? Or is that how much it is to repeat the module the next year? Really confused...
    I'm really worried about one of the exams and I don't mind paying to repeat that module, but this has just really confused me. Could it be an error? I'm fairly sure if this was fact I would've heard this by now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I always got the impression that if you fail the year...you have to pay full fees if you want to continue.

I am not 100% certain but that's what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Well I know that if you fail a year you have to repeat that year and pay it in full and pass it to continue in the course, but what I am getting from what I pasted is that if you fail a repeat exam, you have to pay the university just for failing. It does not state the money is for repeating a module/semester/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Well I know that if you fail a year you have to repeat that year and pay it in full and pass it to continue in the course, but what I am getting from what I pasted is that if you fail a repeat exam, you have to pay the university just for failing. It does not state the money is for repeating a module/semester/year.

A single module can be repeated on a link in basis which is probably what that fee is for. It's not compulsory but you would have to do it if you fail the exam and still wish to complete your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What happens if you fail but your QCA is still above 2.00?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

F or NG grades must be cleared regardless of QCA in order to progress.

D1 or D2 you can progress with provided your QCA is over 2.00 (I've an idea there might be a limit on the number of them you can have but I'm too lazy to look up the handbook right now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

ryanf1 wrote: »
    What happens if you fail but your QCA is still above 2.00?

Does not matter what your QCA is you cannot progress with a fail on your transcript

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If you fail the full year, you've to repeat the year and pay full fees.

If you fail one module (i.e one repeat exam), you can link in that module and will only pay for that module. Price varies from department to department. I paid €568/module to link in.

QCA is irrelevant if you have F or NG grades. F's and NG's have to be cleared from your transcript before you progress.

Advertisement