Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

choosing linguistic electives

Options
  • 27-08-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

What would be the best two electives to choose in Irish and French to improve your fluency?
    I got A2's in both for the leaving and want to do something related to them but I don't want to waste my time studying poetry and all that sort of stuff.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

The level 4/5 french from the applied language centre would be your best bet for keeping up the language. I don't know for sure about the french but I did the german one and it was a little easier than lc level but good just to stop me forgetting everything I did in the lc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

You could do French Language 1a/1b, they're the degree language modules. For Irish it's Teanga na Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I'd recommend level 4 or 5 in the Applied Language Centre for French. If you don't want to use up an elective on Irish, Bord na Gaeilge in UCD run excellent free classes one evening a week a few times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 beeelo85

thanks for the feedback.

I was also wondering about GPA's and how important they are. are they important in 1st year? Should I be choosing easy A electives instead of french and Irish or is it necessary? which one's would be considered easy/ have a small workload?
    thanks

beeelo85 wrote: »
    thanks for the feedback.

I was also wondering about GPA's and how important they are. are they important in 1st year? Should I be choosing easy A electives instead of french and Irish or is it necessary? which one's would be considered easy/ have a small workload?
    thanks

For the majority of courses, your first year results have no bearing on the degree you will receive at the end. Generally, for a three year degree, your second and third year results make up your degree GPA. For a four year degree, it's years three and four.

Bear in mind, though, that if you wish to do a year abroad, your eligibility will be based on your first year results.

To be honest, I don't really buy into the whole "easy elective" thing. I think you're better off doing something in your degree, or else something that truly interests you. You'll get better marks that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

For the majority of courses, your first year results have no bearing on the degree you will receive at the end. Generally, for a three year degree, your second and third year results make up your degree GPA. For a four year degree, it's years three and four.

Bear in mind, though, that if you wish to do a year abroad, your eligibility will be based on your first year results.

To be honest, I don't really buy into the whole "easy elective" thing. I think you're better off doing something in your degree, or else something that truly interests you. You'll get better marks that way.
    I think it's largely based on your second year, semester one GPA is it not? And first year is just a tie-breaker? Maybe I'm wrong.

I agree with the easy elective bit though OP. French Language 1a/1b are intensive but very manageable if you got an A2. They're very well-taught and your French will improve so quickly. The applied languages centre is meant to be easy enough anyway though, so whichever suits you best I suppose.

I didn't do any Irish, but French 1a involves aural/reading comprehension and the grammar exam (30%) is on direct/indirect object pronouns (they're more complicated than you find out at LC level... :pac:). French 1b was great, it was 30% grammar (relative pronouns), 30% oral (also quite enjoyable, conversation classes are done with young natives) and 40% for writing a short story in French using the subjunctive/relative pronouns/negation/various past tenses. If you like French, you'd probably really enjoy doing the modules and therefore do well.

Hopefully you have a bit of insight into it now. :)

Canard wrote: »
    I think it's largely based on your second year, semester one GPA is it not? And first year is just a tie-breaker? Maybe I'm wrong.

It could depend on your degree, but for Law it's definitely based on your first year results.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 beeelo85

Thanks a million for all the feedback that basically answers all my questions, i'm doing actuarial and financial studies which is four years so hopefully 1st year won't matter. Thanks again!

Advertisement