Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Women's Clothing Store Looking For Wholesale

Options
  • 27-08-2013 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi we are currently looking at premises for a new women's fashion store,

target market 20-40 women all sizes

looking to source women's clothing similar to that of the major fashion websites in ireland and england, struggling to find wholesalers with same products?

due to logistics would be interested in either a middle man importing from a supplier in china etc. or just a straight connection ?

does anyone have a womens store with same target market might know where to start with this ? have searched google etc. found loads but none like big name websites in ireland england etc. ie dresses etc.

anyone offer any advice on this ? thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Most of the fashion wholesalers have offices and showrooms in Fashion City Ballymount Dublin 12. That you do not know such basic information suggests you have no idea about fashion retailing. This sector has had a huge number of business failures/closures as they cannot compete against Primark, Dunnes. the traditional customers have moved what spending they still have to the low price multiples who can sell at prices below your cost prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 amcn1

Most of the fashion wholesalers have offices and showrooms in Fashion City Ballymount Dublin 12. That you do not know such basic information suggests you have no idea about fashion retailing. This sector has had a huge number of business failures/closures as they cannot compete against Primark, Dunnes. the traditional customers have moved what spending they still have to the low price multiples who can sell at prices below your cost prices.

Yes I am aware of fashion city thank you , the p-rices available there seem to be a bit expensive so I was hoping people might have some knowledge of possibly an English midddle man they would have used for importing the goods for them before

An English distributor is going to cheaper than an Irish one, even with two lots of freight costs? Unlikely! The guys I know in the fashion business import direct not through some middleman in the UK.

Just off now to play golf with a couple of the larger Irish fashion distributor/ importers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 amcn1

An English distributor is going to cheaper than an Irish one, even with two lots of freight costs? Unlikely! The guys I know in the fashion business import direct not through some middleman in the UK.

Just off now to play golf with a couple of the larger Irish fashion distributor/ importers!

With the way im working things it could possibly very well work out cheaper , they will already have the connections and i wont have the capital to go straight to China myself , thats why im looking for a connection

The Euoropean fashion trade show season is about to kick off, London Fashion Week starts Sept 12th.. Also see Milan, Paris, Dusseldorf etc. all the big players go there but you may find them less than interested in a one off retailer.
    Do the research and Visit them if you really want to understand the supply side and do not want to deal with the Irish agents and distributors.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

from what I see you are going about it in the wrong way and will probably fail.

To not have an idea of where to go to source product says you don't know your market yet. If you think you will compete against the multiples who source direct and purchase in huge quantities, its commercial suicide you are aiming for.

See what the market needs in your area. Use the local suppliers to guage demand for different styles - the HUGE adavantage of a local supplier is that you can go in, have a look at the product and buy small quantities. Take a smaller margin and use it to get to know what sells - then in season 2 or 3, you can buy bigger in confidence.

btw - the UK better end fashion industry is all around the back of oxford street (out of oxford corner tube & behind TopShop and simply walk the streets - bring business cards).

Advertisement