Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition or cold turkey?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So I'm not really looking for new veggie tips or anything. I should clarify that I'm still an omnivore. I've been dabbling with become a vegan for about 2 years now. By which I mean eating more vegetarian meals, learning to cook and replacing cows milk with soy milk.

I had thought that the best way to transition to being a vegan would be to slowly wean myself off each type of meat and then off dairy. It doesn't seem to be working though. I think because I stop eating chicken but I'm still eating fish so when I become demotivated and crave chicken then I start to think "well I'm still eating fish and they're animals". And I reason it away that way.

What I'm asking basically is it it is wise or safe to transition straight into veganism and if anyone here has, what was it like?

I am worried about feeling tired at work.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Personally, I would advise going slowly.

My main reason for that would be that as you learn more and more vegetarian recipes and dishes, you're likely to find yourself looking to the meat dishes less and less. Avoid eating out if you can, though, the temptation of having 10 meat dishes to choose from vs. one dish of overcooked pasta with tinned tomatoes can be a little overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I've been trying that though... And I just never seem to be able to completely follow through. I don't know if an all or nothing approach might be more successful...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It's pretty easy to swap the meats for quorn substitutes to begin with. The "chicken" fillets and the Mince are real tasty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd go straight to vegetarianism and then to vegan, you can still be mostly vegan at home with soya/milk/butter etc but when out it'll be easier for you at the start. You won't be eating any meat to tempt you, or could have imitation meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Yeah I'm going to try again. To be honest I barely eat dairy really. On soya milk now, I rarely eat eggs and cheese. Never really buy them. I probably do buy/consume a lot of products with whey powder and so on in them though. I've been worried by going vegetarian first I'll depend more on dairy.

I'll try cutting meat again this week. Have to go to a slaughterhouse on Friday so that'll probably help :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement