Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 8GB £159, 16GB £199

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

iknorr wrote: »
    "change ur credit card and delivery address to parcelmotel."

Heres what i done in detail:
    Logged into my gmail account which is ireland based, setup years ago with my irish aib credit card. (im actually not even in europe right now)
    Then, started up Hidemyass (just like tunnelbear)
    Set server to a uk address and once connected,I google searched for play store. My default search is google.ie but since im now virtually based in the uk i was directed to the uk play store and went to devices section.
    I added 2 phones to the cart.
    At check out, my credit card was greyed out. I added the same credit card but used the parcel motel address as the CC address. i could now pay with that card. Delivery address was set to parcel motel address in NI. Checked out & got the usual "Ships by xxdate".

OK, thanks for that, I was doing exactly that, except I used a new CC, online Visa, Euro Entropay, which has a NI address......

New UK Google Account....

New Gmail,all done via the VPN I use, which is basically the same as Tunnel lBear or HideMyAss....Just Free VPN, using their UK server....

I am able to log into UK Google Play, browse there, attempt to buy there, using the Google Wallet which I set up initially with the Entropay Visa.

and I checked with an IP checker to verify my UK IP....

Every transaction was cancelled, even one's I was using to check out if the process was actually working, like "buying" a free book, which must go through the Wallet.....cancelled.....tried buying a £1.99 book, same result, cancelled!!!!

so I don't know what to do, as my new account has been suspended by Google, pending further information regarding my place of residence....

perhaps my mistake was adding a new Credit Card, the virtual Entropay CC.

Maybe, using your own, original old CC, which Google has a record of already, on my Irish account, is the way to go.

I can't do anything now anyway, as the Account is suspended, but it's very hard not to feel "singled out" by Google, perhaps for their own reasons, when it seems most other people, who haven't even taken the precautions I did, are being facilitated.....

I know....I know....

poor me, self pity, but it is strange.:confused: confused.com....

If someone can tell me, or show me, exactly what I did wrong, which meant the process would not work, I would be very grateful indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

I received my 16GB Nexus last night into Parcel Motel and have picked it up. I have to say, I'm delighted with it. It was a kind of impulse buy because of the deal that was going, and I already have a Galaxy S4. I was thinking of just selling it on, but now I'm thinking of selling on the S4! I have to say, I was a bit annoyed at Samsung after buying the S4 only to have them announce an upgraded Snapdragon 800 processor rendering my S600 version obsolete only weeks after I had it in my hand. This was supposedly going to be a Korean only release, but I've only just read that it's going to go on sale in Europe, and they're going to wind down the Snapdragon 600 model (which I have) !! Anyway, the build quality of the Nexus is far superior and in fact the signal seems stronger too. Samsung seem to be frantically releasing updated models of their phones to corner the market from every angle, but I think they're losing credibility by doing so.

Anyone know how parcel motel are for deliveries on a Saturday? Do they deliver? I'm in Galway and it was checked in this morning in Belfast so hoping it'll be here tomorrow

Hi there, if this hasn't been answered already, yeah, Parcel Motel do delivery on Saturday. I've received a number of parcels, sometimes getting the notification mid to late Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Got mine delivered by Parcel Motel this morning, picking it up shortly. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Any way of making the battery last longer on it?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement

Any way of making the battery last longer on it?

Is the battery that bad in normal use? I've only just got it and haven't been able to test it properly yet? I'd be interested to know if the S4 is that much better?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Philip42 wrote: »
    Is the battery that bad in normal use? I've only just got it and haven't been able to test it properly yet? I'd be interested to know if the S4 is that much better?

Thanks

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/91412/261875.png

My N4 lasts longer than my iPhone 5.
    Have a look at what widgets and refresh/sync frequency as well as screen brightness settings.

Have a look at what widgets and refresh/sync frequency as well as screen brightness settings.

Looks good to me...thanks for that info - maybe it's time to jump ship to Nexus 4 from my S4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

How did you get that battery screen? Is it a particular app you use or is it an alternative ROM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

tipperary wrote: »
    How did you get that battery screen? Is it a particular app you use or is it an alternative ROM?

It's an app called battery widget reborn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Looks good to me...thanks for that info - maybe it's time to jump ship to Nexus 4 from my S4.

While the Nexus is a very good device, you'd be mad to go from an S4 to one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Don't mean to sidetrack his thread but can anyone explain why is it so difficult for Irish consumers to buy a Nexus 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Don't mean to sidetrack his thread but can anyone explain why is it so difficult for Irish consumers to buy a Nexus 4?

Because It`s not for sale in Ireland.

Probably because not all streaming services etc have been available until recently, which is where Google make alot of money? And I believe we are still lacking in that department

You can buy it, but

- you must use an IP address that makes it look like you are in the UK (tunnelbear) and buy it from Google Play Store

- you must get it posted to a parcel forwarding service in the UK (e.g. Parcel Motel)

- You must use your normal billing address but add the parcel motel postcode to it

- You might have to set up a new google account

- You must do it all under the other IP address (e.g. tunnelbear)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Google said my N4 shipped.
    PM said I had a parcel.
    Couldn't get to my local PM for a day, so excitement building. Eventually got there, opened box to see my free PM gift of a pair of slippers, but no phone !!!!!!! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭strongback

pms7 wrote: »
    Google said my N4 shipped.
    PM said I had a parcel.
    Couldn't get to my local PM for a day, so excitement building. Eventually got there, opened box to see my free PM gift of a pair of slippers, but no phone !!!!!!! :mad::mad:

Did the Butlers chocolates sweeten you up?

strongback wrote: »
    Did the Butlers chocolates sweeten you up?

My N4 would have been sweeter!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

Things just don't seem to be working out for me.
    I have tried using my existing Google wallet account and it tells me the Nexus 4 are not available in my area even though I have entered via a proxy ip address and have changed my address setting to parcel motel.
    I have looked at setting up a new Google account but it requires (presumably) a UK number as they want to use this to verify the account via sms or voice call.
    Is there something that I haven't done correctly that seems obvious to anyone.
    Ta

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tinie wrote: »
    The s4 is probably the most advanced android smartphone around currently, a nexus 4 would be a downgrade in that aspect. Only reason id choose the nexus over the s4 is that the build quality is probably better over the all plastic galaxy s4.

Personally much prefer the xperia z over the s4, and now this is here http://blogs.sonymobile.com/press_release/new-xperia-z-1-worlds-best-camera-in-a-waterproof-smartphone/ which is better in every way.

He could also have a snapdragon 600 instead of 800 as most people do, which would annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

pcasso wrote: »
    Things just don't seem to be working out for me.
    I have tried using my existing Google wallet account and it tells me the Nexus 4 are not available in my area even though I have entered via a proxy ip address and have changed my address setting to parcel motel.
    I have looked at setting up a new Google account but it requires (presumably) a UK number as they want to use this to verify the account via sms or voice call.
    Is there something that I haven't done correctly that seems obvious to anyone.
    Ta

You don't need a uk number when it looks for number verification it come up with +44 by default just change that to +353 then enter your irish mobile number and it will text you the verification code.

cdebru wrote: »
    You don't need a uk number when it looks for number verification it come up with +44 by default just change that to +353 then enter your irish mobile number and it will text you the verification code.
    Cheers for that.
    Got to make my order but is was cancelled almost immediately. Suggested that it might have something to do with the billing address. I had put in my home address as the billing one including the parcel motel post post code as some else suggested earlier but it didn't suffice obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Cheers for that.
    Got to make my order but is was cancelled almost immediately. Suggested that it might have something to do with the billing address. I had put in my home address as the billing one including the parcel motel post post code as some else suggested earlier but it didn't suffice obviously.

Same thing just now, tried twice going to try the OH card later.

S3 died and between this and s3 mini (want this one)

Edit : Now coming up as -This device is not for sale at this time.

Pingi wrote: »
    Same thing just now, tried twice going to try the OH card later.

S3 died and between this and s3 mini (want this one)

Edit : Now coming up as -This device is not for sale at this time

I am getting that too.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Not working for me either guys, heres what i did:

* signed out of my irish google account
    * clear cookies/cache
    * fired up tunnel bear
    * created new UK google account
    * added N4 to cart
    * used PM as billing and shipping address in the following format

My Name PMxxxxx
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Rd
    Newtownabbey
    Antrim
    BT36 4PE

* paid with an ulster debit card (order cancelled within 2 minutes)
    * tried again 2 mins later with a credit card (order cancelled within 2 mins)

I got an email saying something about a problem with my bank or an address not matching bank details

any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

* clear cookies/cache
    * fired up tunnel bear
    * added N4 to cart

My Name PMxxxxx
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Rd
    Newtownabbey
    Antrim
    BT36 4PE

I got an email saying something about a problem with my bank or an address not matching bank details

any ideas?

Did the same as you and had the same problem, used a Ulster Bank debit card as well.

* clear cookies/cache
    * fired up tunnel bear
    * added N4 to cart

My Name PMxxxxx
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Rd
    Newtownabbey
    Antrim
    BT36 4PE

any ideas?
    Did pretty much the same.
    I even got a call from my cc company confirming that the transaction was legitimate.
    Looks like we missed the boat:(

Cheers for that.

Using VPN set up a Google UK account. (personally my Irish Google account worked just fine).

If you have an existing Google wallet account change the address to details shown below at the bottom of this post.

If you do not have an existing Google Wallet account use VPN to set up a new Google Wallet UK account and use the address details shown below at the bottom of this post.

In the credit card section of Google Wallet put in your Irish Debit/ Credit card number, expiry etc and set the billing address to that shown below at the bottom of this post. Use your Irish mobile phone number.

For billing and shipping in Google Play set the address details to those shown at the bottom of this post.

The address and details to be shown anytime you are asked for an address in Google Wallet or Google Play.

Your Name
    Your PMID
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Rd
    Newtownabbey
    Antrim
    BT36 4PE

If all addresses line up as the same there is much less chance of a conflict when they check your credit card details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

New Gmail,all done via the VPN I use, which is basically the same as Tunnel lBear or HideMyAss....Just Free VPN, using their UK server....

Free vpn, no business phone number or address, contact only via gmail address , domain name registered to mailbox.
    Surely the first question on a real FAQ page would be how can you provide this service for free.
    What do you think their revenue stream is? selling your login, credit card details and private information?

While the Nexus is a very good device, you'd be mad to go from an S4 to one.

Food for thought! Thanks for that Graham. It's making me think.

paddyp wrote: »
    Free vpn, no business phone number or address, contact only via gmail address , domain name registered to mailbox.
    Surely the first question on a real FAQ page would be how can you provide this service for free.
    What do you think their revenue stream is? selling your login, credit card details and private information?

Very good point.

Be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Food for thought! Thanks for that Graham. It's making me think.
    I'd also agree with graham, it's a lot of money to fork out on a phone that's not that different spec wise. Yeah there are differences but for everything that you prefer about the nexus you'll probably find something you prefer about the s4.

Mine on route with PM. I'm sorry I didn't order a few more for people that can't order themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

* clear cookies/cache
    * fired up tunnel bear
    * added N4 to cart

My Name PMxxxxx
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Rd
    Newtownabbey
    Antrim
    BT36 4PE

any ideas?

Having the same problem here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

xtal191 wrote: »
    Having the same problem here

Its prob failing security checks. Change address with bank. Try again tomorrow, worked for me.

* clear cookies/cache
    * fired up tunnel bear
    * added N4 to cart

My Name PMxxxxx
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Rd
    Newtownabbey
    Antrim
    BT36 4PE

any ideas?

Did you set up a Google Wallet account to make the payment?

Using VPN set up a Google UK account. (personally my Irish Google account worked just fine).

If you have an existing Google wallet account change the address to details shown below at the bottom of this post.

If you do not have an existing Google Wallet account use VPN to set up a new Google Wallet UK account and use the address details shown below at the bottom of this post.

In the credit card section of Google Wallet put in your Irish Debit/ Credit card number, expiry etc and set the billing address to that shown below at the bottom of this post. Use your Irish mobile phone number.

For billing and shipping in Google Play set the address details to those shown at the bottom of this post.

The address and details to be shown anytime you are asked for an address in Google Wallet or Google Play.

Your Name
    Your PMID
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Rd
    Newtownabbey
    Antrim
    BT36 4PE

If all addresses line up as the same there is much less chance of a conflict when they check your credit card details.
    Thanks for the extensive response.
    I did reset my billing address to match my delivery address, ie parcel motel, but got the message, "this unit is not currently available".
    Either they are out of stock of the nexus at the moment or they have blocked my account from purchasing one.
    Either way it is not looking very promising.
    Thanks again anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Did you set up a Google Wallet account to make the payment?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Phone arrived at my familys place in London this morning, relative flying back here tomorrow and bringing it with, finally. :D pumped

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pm1e wrote: »
    Phone arrived at my familys place in London this morning, relative flying back here tomorrow and bringing it with, finally. :D pumped

Surely it would have been cheaper to use Parcel Motel, like everyone else:D

Surely it would have been cheaper to use Parcel Motel, like everyone else:D

haha, by chance I had a family member over there who is due back tomorrow and it arrived at her place today. Good timing I say, or perfect execution. ;)

haha, by chance I had a family member over there who is due back tomorrow and it arrived at her place today. Good timing I say, or perfect execution. ;)

You missed out on those free slippers!

• Advertisement

Has anyone been able to buy one of these from the play store in the last twenty four hours?
    Just wondering if they are out of stock or just not selling them to me.

Has anyone been able to buy one of these from the play store in the last twenty four hours?
    Just wondering if they are out of stock or just not selling them to me.

are you looking for 8GB or 16GB?

are you looking for 8GB or 16GB?

Either or.
    Both are showing as unavailable to purchase for me

Either or.
    Both are showing as unavailable to purchase for me

apparently 8GB were gone as of last week, with that in mind I can only imagine 16GB followed suit soon after. But cannot confirm, I ordered 8days ago so maybe someone with more recent success can advise.

They probably blocked your account. I had an account blocked yesterday and could only add the phone to the wishlist, tried another account and could add the phone to the basket.

The 8gb has a notice saying "out of stock" or something similar while the 16gb has a slightly different message making me think that it just might be a bar on me purchasing it.

xtal191 wrote: »
    They probably blocked your account. I had an account blocked yesterday and could only add the phone to the wishlist, tried another account and could add the phone to the basket.

Thanks.
    Did you manage to proceed with the purchase?
    If you did was the parcel motel address used for both delivery and billing adress?
    Also I noticed that my phone number is being flagged as having an incorrect area code.
    I guess this could be the problem as well

I used the parcel motel address for both delivery and billing but it was cancelled every single time.

Time to give up methinks.:(:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

Is the 16Gb still available?

Im getting the add to cart option but when i click it nothing happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement