Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 8GB £159, 16GB £199

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I assume it's the banks fee. Don't know for certain though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

I assume it's the banks fee. Don't know for certain though.

Fee for what? I'm with Ulster Bank. I've never been charged for using my debit card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Oscar_Drai wrote: »
    Fee for what? I'm with Ulster Bank. I've never been charged for using my debit card.

Service fee for completing the transaction I assume?

Tinie wrote: »
    Service fee for completing the transaction I assume?

Banks just can't come up with more stupid reasons to charge fees. Ridiculous! I am so going to the bank on Monday and ask what the hell that is. Tired of being ripped off everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I think banking in the UK incurs such fees. It is probably a fee you wouldn't come across using your cards in Ireland. Not certain though. It's like a fee you get for using another banks atm's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you get charged for buying things in a different currency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭tomslick

geecee wrote: »
    anybody else finding that the SMS notification volume is pathetic on the Nexus 4?
    Download your own ringtone and notification tones from the net. The volume will be very high then. Stock tones seem very low alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think banking in the UK incurs such fees. It is probably a fee you wouldn't come across using your cards in Ireland. Not certain though. It's like a fee you get for using another banks atm's.

You only get charged for using a debit card in the UK- not a credit card- so I'd query this 2.01. Also- with Ulster Bank- you can pay £25 for 100 debit card transactions per quarter (and then they're 50p each after this).

If you used a debit card- its a legitimate charge- if you used a credit card- it isn't.

Ps- just checked- its the same here- 40c transaction charge for debit cards- none for credit cards (BOI's website)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I did an online transfer for my college fees to the UK and there was a charge - presumably because the receiver's account was in Sterling, and iirc I paid in that rather than Euro. Don't recall a charge for buying from Hardwareversand (again, online transfer), but that was Euro to Euro. I don't really have an issue with the bank charge for the UK, tbh, although I'll have to check the situation for AIB Mastercard.

Just picked up the Nexus 4 from Parcel Motel (thanks, boards!). Battery's only at 1%, so I won't set it up for a while, plus I need to get a proper SIM. Now to find a decent case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Collected my 16gb phone this morning , ( It was in the parcel motel at 11.15 last night )

It had nearly a full charge , so using Wi-Fi to set it up while waiting for my new sim to be activated ( Three )

No sign of my free slippers yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 dub722103

Hi all

Im trying to order one of these. I signed in with my old gmail, registered in Ireland and im getting a message say im signing in from an unusual location.
    I confirmed with my phone number and got a text which gave me a pin number to proceed. Then got to the next stage.

You think its safe to use this or is it better to create a new gmail account and register in the UK.

My current phone is broke and im going on holiday next week so I need it to arrive by Friday at the latest.

or....

does anyone know a simple to use program like tunnelbear for Spain as I have an address I can send it to there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Thanks! And the CHARGE 2.01€, what is that for?

This might explain.
    http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/card/faqs/faqs-limits.ashx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

with AIB
    "Transactions performed abroad may be subject to a Currency Conversion Fee of 1.75% of transaction value"

would this explain the extra fees ?

Just ordered a 16Gb and got confirmation email from google.

Has anyone got an order cancelled after getting a confirmation mail?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some have going by the posts on here, I think.

I set up a Gmail account registered via the UK and that worked fine - pour over the thread and you'll find the pointers for (hopefully) things going smoothly.

Just had order cancelled.
    Rang bank an asked for an additional billing address to be added but they cant do that.
    changed billing address to Ireland but it wont allow me to use my visa as billing address is not in UK

sigh.....

Is everyone using parcel motel as billing address?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

dub722103 wrote: »
    Just had order cancelled.
    Rang bank an asked for an additional billing address to be added but they cant do that.
    changed billing address to Ireland but it wont allow me to use my visa as billing address is not in UK

sigh.....

Is everyone using parcel motel as billing address?
    Give it forty eight hours if you can and try again.
    Use the parcel motel delivery address as you billing address as well.
    This is how I got mine after twice having orders cancelled last Sunday.
    Got a successful order through on Tuesday and picked up the phone from Parcel Motel this morning

thanks for the reply

Just don't have the time to wait as my current phone is bricked.
    if I wait 48hrs I wont have before next weekend and im travelling next Saturday.

Ill try order from Spain....unless someone want to offer me a spare? :rolleyes:

iirc, what I did was, set up a UK account with Google/Google Wallet. In the billing section I used the Belfast Parcel Motel address and it seemed to go through without a hitch.

thanks for the reply

Just don't have the time to wait as my current phone is bricked.
    if I wait 48hrs I wont have before next weekend and im travelling next Saturday.

Ill try order from Spain....unless someone want to offer me a spare? :rolleyes:
    You can also pick one up from amazon for about £250.
    That might make it on time if you order straight away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

I see you've only had it less than 4 days. You can return it to Google within 7 days under EU law if you are not happy with it.

Offer for xperia z fell through so hanging onto my nexus 4 now- thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

How do i pay the ParcelMotel Fee? Do i pay before hand or do i pay when i collect it?
    What phone number did people use for google when buying it?

mcw92 wrote: »
    How do i pay the ParcelMotel Fee? Do i pay before hand or do i pay when i collect it?
    What phone number did people use for google when buying it?
    I have my parcel motel account to take payment from my cc account. I think you can just load up your account as well with credit if you prefer to do that.
    I just used my Irish mobile number, even selecting the 353 country prefix when setting up a new Google account

Tried a few times, and order has being canceled.
    New UK google account set up with tunnelbear.
    I have a google wallet account, Visa Debit set up on it, Billing Address as Parcel Motel Address.
    Delivery address is Parcel Motel.

Anyone have any ideas?

And checked my AIB, and ive being charged €249.17 by GOOGLE *Google Pla
    And also €1.00 by GOOGLE *MARKETPLAC

So, you've been charged, but the order is a no go, am I reading you right?

So, you've been charged, but the order is a no go, am I reading you right?

EDIT
    All sorted now, they refunded the money, its back in my account.

Yes, i tried with two different google accounts, and i've checked all emails, etc.
    All say order has being canceled.

But i've checked my AIB online, 249.17 has being taken out.

Just noticed there that the 1€ transaction one from google is now gone from pending transactions though?

I think il just have to wait until Mon/Tues and see is my account credited again, or wait and see if ParcelMotel say i have a package waiting.

Also when i try to purchase again, i get this 'limit reached', could the order have went through?
    201309140655.png

It doesn't seem like your order was successful.
    After having two orders cancelled I was then unable to try to add the phone to my basket.
    After forty eight odd hours I was then allowed to add the phone to my basket again and this time the order was successful.

pcasso wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like your order was successful.
    After having two orders cancelled I was then unable to try to add the phone to my basket.
    After forty eight odd hours I was then allowed to add the phone to my basket again and this time the order was successful.

Ya it was canceled. Got an email just there, 5 hours after trying lol.
    Might get an relative in the North to get it for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Got mine yesterday morning, great phone. Went into Three store in the afternoon and got a sim card for it but there's still no connection. Any idea how long it normally takes three to activate a replacement sim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Activated my sim online , it was active after about an hour and a half .
    bluesfan wrote: »
    Got mine yesterday morning, great phone. Went into Three store in the afternoon and got a sim card for it but there's still no connection. Any idea how long it normally takes three to activate a replacement sim?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Activated while still in shop. Took maybe 15 minutes.

bmaxi wrote: »

I looked up the charge and found nothing. Thanks for the link!

Tried 2 twice with visa and order was cancelled within minutes.

Set up a new google account and used visa debit but again it was cancelled in less than a minute.

I tried again but used the wife's phone number coz she doesn't have a smartphone and therefore never uses it online. Order was not cancelled yet after 3 hours.

Im thinking maybe the problem is linked to the phone number as google locations services is tracking your whereabouts.

Did anyone coming from a non android device have problems ordering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Tried to buy a 16gb Nexus 4 twice yesterday and got instantly cancelled on both occasions. The money seems to have been taken out of my bank account though, I assume it'll reappear on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I looked up the charge and found nothing. Thanks for the link!

It would be "purchases, point of sale transactions". It's should show up in your account as ERTF.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I cannot manage to order it.
    Have tried TunnelBear and Free VPN
    Can add to basket, but when I sign into my Account I just get a message saying it's not available in my country. :(
    Created a new account but the order was cancelled straight away..

Do I have to change my Google account to be based in the uk??....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Can add to basket, but when I sign into my Account I just get a message saying it's not available in my country. :(

Have you cleared your browser cache and signed in again with the vpn switched on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

mik_da_man wrote: »

yes...you need to clear browser history, set up tunnel bear, get new google
    email address uk based. Bank address, billing address and delivery hav to be parcel motel. if your still in trouble let me know can order at cost for you as think your local..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Have you cleared your browser cache and signed in again with the vpn switched on?

Yep, even installed firefox, which I don't normally use, and still getting the same issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Last chance salon by the looks of things
    get in fast if you want one as I think they will sell out soon in the UK too

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/google-nexus-4-sold-out-on-google-play-17-09-2013/

• Advertisement

Ordered Sunday night, and shipped out this morning :)

after 4th attempt mine was shipped last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shanw123

When ordering did you use your Irish mobile number? Cause I have had 10 orders cancelled using five different Google wallet accounts. Even had address changed on credit card to parcel motel newtownabbey.

shanw123 wrote: »
    When ordering did you use your Irish mobile number? Cause I have had 10 orders cancelled using five different Google wallet accounts. Even had address changed on credit card to parcel motel newtownabbey.

My first 2 attempts using a visa and Irish mobile were cancelled.
    Set up new google account and used visa debit with same mobile and it was cancelled straight away.

Then I used another mobile number that was never used for data and order was shipped.

As I posted earlier I think it may be because your mobile is linked to your google account that uses location services (tracks your movements).

Try using a landline number or a sim that was never used for data and see if that works. (please report if it works)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shanw123

My first 2 attempts using a visa and Irish mobile were cancelled.
    Set up new google account and used visa debit with same mobile and it was cancelled straight away.

Then I used another mobile number that was never used for data and order was shipped.

As I posted earlier I think it may be because your mobile is linked to your google account that uses location services (tracks your movements).

Try using a landline number or a sim that was never used for data and see if that works. (please report if it works)

OK, I will try that, thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I found it dead handy. Worked first time.

Logged into Google Wallet, changed billing address to UK and added parcel motel post code to my Irish address.
    Accessed play store through tunnelbear UK proxy.
    Delivered to parcel motel of course.
    Used an AIB MasterCard.

Ordered Wed, picked up Sat. Simples. Maybe I just got lucky!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

M450 wrote: »
    I found it dead handy. Worked first time.

Logged into Google Wallet, changed billing address to UK and added parcel motel post code to my Irish address.
    Accessed play store through tunnelbear UK proxy.
    Delivered to parcel motel of course.
    Used an AIB MasterCard.

Ordered Wed, picked up Sat. Simples. Maybe I just got lucky!

Yeah you did get lucky :P

I tried constantly for a few days, all being cancelled instantly. Tried last night one last time without tunnel bear, and got despatch email an hour ago.

Its completely random which orders get through. You have to get google on a good day :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I tried constantly for a few days, all being cancelled instantly. Tried last night one last time without tunnel bear, and got despatch email an hour ago.

Its completely random which orders get through. You have to get google on a good day :p
    Ha bloody delighted I did get lucky so, was so sick of using my ****ty festival phone! Broke my S3 a week before I got this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

After all I've read about the Nexus 4 fragility, I'm curious how many people will be looking for a replacement back in the next few weeks.

According to the common consensus out there, buy a good case capable of absorbing impacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Yeah I placed a second order just now for a friend. First time round parcel motel for billing and shipping worked. But this time I used the same info and got rejected instantly. When I went to try with different info it told me device limit reached. So tried a different email account with Irish billing address with parcel motel postcode and UK country and obviously parcel motel shipping address. Went through this time with no hitch. So seems they change their checks requirements around a bit

• Advertisement
Advertisement