Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 8GB £159, 16GB £199

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Mines been cancelled,ordered Wednesday afternoon.

Bollocks anyway,not bothered trying again as my CC and PM address will probably just be flagged again.
    What bank was it?

Mine is still pending since Wednesday. Got a shipping estimate of Sept 2 so the bastards will probably wait until Monday to cancel it on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Mine is still pending since Wednesday. Got a shipping estimate of Sept 2 so the bastards will probably wait until Monday to cancel it on me.

same as me. ordered 3. still expect them to ship. got one in january as well. its cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

still pending here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Ordered 5, 1 for myself and 4 for adverts.ie . Stuck at "pending since weds, hopefully should get them. The slight profit on each of the 4 should mean my one is free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

L5 wrote: »
    Ordered 5, 1 for myself and 4 for adverts.ie . Stuck at "pending since weds, hopefully should get them. The slight profit on each of the 4 should mean my one is free :)

Are you sure people are going to pay more to a private seller when they can get it from Google for less?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

You should have ordered 200, and sold them for €1 profit each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Are you sure people are going to pay more to a private seller when they can get it from Google for less?

Look at the hassle involved in getting one. It's a lottery whether any order will get through. Personally speaking I'd pay a 30 euro premium not to have to go through all of this hassle with parcel motel etc .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I would pay more for one in the hand, yeah.

Oh no...... the masses are not going to be impressed mate. Could you not have kept it to yourself? Thread is going to be full of "profiteering" crap now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Ill take one off you mate :) willing to pay 300 for the 16gb and might be interested in a 8gb aswell.pm on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lads and lasses,

No more discussion of personal selling or profiteering on here please!

Don't want it going down this route.. the thread won't last long if it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

First impressions of the phone:

It's really light. I expected the phone to be somewhat heavy with the glass back, but stunned as to how light it feels. But feels sturdy at the same time, with a premium feel with the glass.

It's also really thin. Again, going by pics and videos online I was expecting a chunky device. I sized it up against the HTC One and GS3/4. Was slightly thinner than the HTC, but still a big thicker than the Galaxy S4. But the feel of the Galaxy S4 is very plasticky, I'd much, much rather the feel of the Nexus even if it isn't as thin.

Other bits - Screen is super vibrant, but viewing angles not quite as nice as the HTC One. Speaker is good, nothing brilliant but good. Again, not as good as HTCs BoomSound. The device itself looks fantastic, if a little boring. It's plain and simple, but I like that. The chrome bezel, and the plastic sides concern me a bit. I can imagine the chrome will chip/scratch easy and plastic may break over time or abuse.

Overall, delighted with the phone. Absolutely fantastic value, and and feels like a high end, premium device through and through. Why anyone would fork out for an iPhone, with their ridiculously expensive plans, when you could grab one of these coupled with a great value PAYG plan, is beyond me. But that's an argument for another thread, huh! :)

Edit: Forgot to mention that its fast - I mean really, really fast. Flies through menus and Apps are super responsive and open really quick.

My order has just been shipped! :-) :-)

8gb ordered Wednesday morning using aib visa debit card using tunnel bear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭tomslick

Mine just shipped an hour ago. Ordered wed at 2346. Tunnelbear with parcel motel as visa debit address. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

My order has just been shipped! :-) :-)

8gb ordered Wednesday morning using aib visa debit card using tunnel bear.
    tomslick wrote: »
    Mine just shipped an hour ago. Ordered wed at 2346. Tunnelbear with parcel motel as visa debit address. Sweet.

What shipping by dates did you have before you got the shipping notification?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭strongback

Just ordered the 16gb version. £199 plus £9.99 shipping. I make that €248 when the bank takes its exchange rate commission.

The shipping date is 9th September.

I joined Parcel Motel, there was no joining offer of 2 free stays. Also I chose the option to top up as you go not knowing that the minimum top up is 3 stays or €10.50. I don't mind as I'll use the two other stays soon enough, just thought I'd let other new users know that choosing the top up option means you have to buy 3 stays minimum.

I have access to a UK server so I ordered from there. Through the UK server I was trying to add the Parcel Motel address to my Google Wallet but it just wouldn't take it. Anyway I ended up accessing my Google Wallet from my Irish IP and I could set up the billing address as my Irish credit card and the shipping address to Parcel Motel's address up North. Strangely enough it didn't mind accepting an Irish phone number as part of the UK billing address. Simple enough in the end when you've done it once.

It is a bit ridiculous to be buying the Nexus through the UK with Google then sending the phone from Dublin to Antrim only for Parcel Motel to send it from Antrim back down to Dublin (in my case anyway).

Parcel Motel could save themselves some diesel money by doing a deal to pick up the phones directly from Google in Dublin.

Purchased from
    Google Commerce Ltd
    Gordon House, Barrow Street
    Dublin 4 IE
    +353 (1) 436 1001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

strongback wrote: »
    It is a bit ridiculous to be buying the Nexus through the UK with Google then sending the phone from Dublin to Antrim only for Parcel Motel to send it from Antrim back down to Dublin (in my case anyway).

Parcel Motel could save themselves some diesel money by doing a deal to pick up the phones directly from Google in Dublin.

Purchased from
    Google Commerce Ltd
    Gordon House, Barrow Street
    Dublin 4 IE
    +353 (1) 436 1001

Phones are not physically on hand in Dublin. They just use it as a billing address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 oldholborn888

Ordered 2 wednesday. Finally shipped. Woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Mezcita wrote: »
    Phones are not physically on hand in Dublin. They just use it as a billing address.
    Which is sort of ironic given the lengths Google go to to prevent customers doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Order cancelled. They can keep it. It's not as good as the HTC One anyway <bitter>

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Natakranta

My second order was cancelled yesterday even though I called MasterCard and changed the address to parcel motel address. The change was supposed to be effective immediately according to MasterCard. Yet Google wallet rejected the payment and play store cancelled my order. Now I'm waiting to receive my MasterCard statement with parcel motel address on it and send them the bloody scan of it. I'm curious what they say :)

On a side note I see people using debit cards instead of credit cards get more luck with their orders going through. Maybe I'll try with my wife's AIB visa debit.

Natakranta wrote: »
    My second order was cancelled yesterday even though I called MasterCard and changed the address to parcel motel address. The change was supposed to be effective immediately according to MasterCard. Yet Google wallet rejected the payment and play store cancelled my order. Now I'm waiting to receive my MasterCard statement with parcel motel address on it and send them the bloody scan of it. I'm curious what they say :)

On a side note I see people using debit cards instead of credit cards get more luck with their orders going through. Maybe I'll try with my wife's AIB visa debit.

What reason do they give for the cancellation?

It is something to do with the visa billing address not actually being in the UK.

I'd doubt Google are too bothered about punters in the South buying off them using Parcel Motel. I'm guessing they are more worried about credit card fraud and addresses not matching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭tomslick

My visa debt card address is not the same as the shipping. Billing is my home and shipping was Parcel Motel.

• Advertisement

tomslick wrote: »
    My visa debt card address is not the same as the shipping. Billing is my home and shipping was Parcel Motel.

Same here, mine shipped last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭iknorr

This is turning into a bit of a pain in the arse for me.

I ordered two phones seperately on the morning of the 28th. One 8gb, and one 16gb. The 16gb shipped on the 29th to parcelmotel. The 8gb is still pending.

The device was signed for BUT has not appeared in my parcelmotel.
    i contacted parcelmotel and they have no record of receiving it.
    Parcelforce shows it was signed for but does the following mean that someone signed for it at a parcel force depot or is it just parcels forces way of saying its delivered to its intended destination

30-08-2013 14:24 Belfast Central Depot Collected by addressee
    30-08-2013 09:03 Belfast Central Depot Loaded to vehicle for delivery
    30-08-2013 08:26 Belfast Central Depot Received at delivery depot
    30-08-2013 01:58 National Hub Received and processed
    29-08-2013 20:44 London North West Depot Collected from customer

For the peeps who used parcelmotel/parcelforce, what does your parcel force tracking show? is it the same as above when its delivered to parcelmotel?

iknorr wrote: »
    This is turning into a bit of a pain in the arse for me.

I ordered two phones seperately on the morning of the 28th. One 8gb, and one 16gb. The 16gb shipped on the 29th to parcelmotel. The 8gb is still pending.

The device was signed for BUT has not appeared in my parcelmotel.
    i contacted parcelmotel and they have no record of receiving it.
    Parcelforce shows it was signed for but does the following mean that someone signed for it at a parcel force depot or is it just parcels forces way of saying its delivered to its intended destination

30-08-2013 14:24 Belfast Central Depot Collected by addressee
    30-08-2013 09:03 Belfast Central Depot Loaded to vehicle for delivery
    30-08-2013 08:26 Belfast Central Depot Received at delivery depot
    30-08-2013 01:58 National Hub Received and processed
    29-08-2013 20:44 London North West Depot Collected from customer

For the peeps who used parcelmotel/parcelforce, what does your parcel force tracking show? is it the same as above when its delivered to parcelmotel?
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Parcel motel probably just hadn't processed it by the time you asked them. Keep checking and it'll probably appear there today. If its not there monday morning then you may have to get onto them again. Parcelforce have a signature so they can't say they never received it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Parcel motel probably just hadn't processed it by the time you asked them. Keep checking and it'll probably appear there today. If its not there monday morning then you may have to get onto them again. Parcelforce have a signature so they can't say they never received it.

The worrying part is a signature "collected by the addressee" at the parcelforce depot.
    Do parcelmotel employees go to parcelforce depots to collect packages?
    Sounds very fishy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Have the same details here delivered and signed for at 14:24 yesterday was sort of expecting for it to have registered in my parcel motel by now.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

shipping notification last night also

originally ordered wednesday ~17:20, with a 'dispatches by' date of 2nd Sept

x1 16g & x1 8g (for the mrs). Foolishly told herself bout it, so bit of a relief its dispatched :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Mines shipped now.

Have the same details here delivered and signed for at 14:24 yesterday was sort of expecting for it to have registered in my parcel motel by now.

yeah, its usually registered within a few hours.
    Relieves a bit a stress knowing that im not the only one. They probably have hundreds of the same orders like ours!

Yep, played around with it for a bit yesterday.

Coming from a 3GS, it's a huge step-up even in terms of screen size and quality.

First of all, the screen is absolutely stunning - very crisp and sharp especially on full brightness (though changed back to auto brightness then as no-doubt it'd be a killer on battery).

The feel of the phone is one of those ever-so-slightly uncomfortable feelings of a tad too long for the hand (ooh-err! :o). it sits comfortable but it could relatively easily slide out. Which is why the Ringke Fusion Bumper is on order - love the look of this case.. just enough protection for back and sides but it doesn't obscure the back in the slightest.

And on that point, I'll move onto the design of the back which really is the "dogs balls" - when I first saw the phone a few weeks ago, the dotted pattern on the glass was the first thing that hit me. Very unique and very cool!

From playing around with a few things last night (including the software update to JellyBean was indicated not long after switching it on), it's quick.. it's extremely responsive and feels top-end.

Nice features from the top of my head include:
    - Dismissing / closing apps is a simple slide feature as opposed to iPhone's hideous "hold-home-button and dismiss"
    - No need for Shazam when it has it's own one built in (might be JellyBean specific - similarly for a Messenger with "Hangouts" and the like).
    - Face unlock (gimmicky.. but nifty!)
    - Google voice search ("what is the weather like in Dublin?") - even better results than some brief experiences with Siri. Also dictated an entire e-mail using voice recognition also.

My Android experience is not quite as dedicated as my iOS experience - but have owned both a HTC Desire and a Samsung Beam before this - and this just feels so much more solid and less of a chore than those two phones IMO.

Can't really do a whole lot more til I pop into Three today and get a micro-sim... no, I don't want to go down the cutting sim-card route as tried it at Christmas and butchered my fiancee's sim-card! :D

What the story with the wireless battery charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Anyone who has a new N4 might benefit from XDA developers section : http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1907

strongback wrote:
    What the story with the wireless battery charging?
    Yeah, make sure any you pick up one that Qi's compatible (the likes of the - often cheap at Amazon - Powermat are not AFAIK).

Someone on HotUKDeals recommended this.

Wouldn't mind picking one up.. but the whole wireless charging thing is not something I'm too familiar with so I'm unaware of:

a) how good it is for the device (they tend to heat up considerably)
    b) how long it tends to take
    c) would it be better spend more on an official one?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Or buy a new Volvo :)
    Seriously though- they're compatible with wireless charging of the Nexus and other devices- of both standards.

Interesting you say it could be easy to slide out of your hand Basq. I think the rubberised sides brilliant for preventing it sliding out. I came from a glossy plastic phone, and I can't describe the number of times I dropped it from slipping out.

The more I use the phone, the more I love it. It feels like a one chunk of solid glass in your hand. The screen is also slightly rounded at the edges too, in the same vain as the HTC One X (bit not quite as exaggerated), which makes going through tabs a breeze!

I can't emphasise enough the speed though. Everything is just done in a snap.

I was also tempted Basq to cut my sim. But just knew I'd balls it up! Popped into Three, they gave me a Micro Sim to convert over myself through their website!

Dman001 wrote: »
    Interesting you say it could be easy to slide out of your hand Basq. I think the rubberised sides brilliant for preventing it sliding out. I came from a glossy plastic phone, and I can't describe the number of times I dropped it from slipping out.
    Yeah, like I said.. I'm going from a 3GS but I did have a quite rugged plastic case on it so maybe the added grip from that is swaying my opinion.

I do think the Ringke plus a screen protector (regardless of the whole "gorilla glass" marketing, I still worry about a screen) is a must buy though.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, like I said.. I'm going from a 3GS but I did have a quite rugged plastic case on it so maybe the added grip from that is swaying my opinion.

I do think the Ringke plus a screen protector (regardless of the whole "gorilla glass" marketing, I still worry about a screen) is a must buy though.
    True, I'd actually say get a case that'll protect the screen too. Maybe a leather flip case or something, anything that may prevent the screen from shattering if dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Mine got shipped too!

I think it might be good advice to anyone that the first thing you should do is root it. Rooting later will probably require everything to be erased! Well that's how it was with my Galaxy Nexus anyway.

By the way is there some super smart , super handy way to transfer all my stuff to the N4 please? Is that what that "Titanium Backup" does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

just ordered there, had billing address as my postal motel address, using an aib visa debit card. Rang AIB they would were not able to add an extra billing address onto my account, my order will probably get cancelled but worth a shot anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

I did the same Spence, and mines in the post - so you might get lucky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Wossack wrote: »
    I did the same Spence, and mines in the post - so you might get lucky :)

Good stuff wossack, hopefully ill have the same luck as u :)
    Either way gotta love bargain alerts, the recessions biggest enemy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I've had this phone for a few months and if you're looking for a cover i'd recommend this one:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Black-Soft-TPU-Bumper-Frame-Case-Cover-For-LG-Google-Nexus-4-LG-E960-/290957889440?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item43be710fa0

It's as knock off of the official one but its pretty good, no damage done to my phone after i dropped it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Parcel Motel have had mine since 14:24 yesterday, but there's no mention of it on their website at all. Starting to get a little worried now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Parcel Motel have had mine since 14:24 yesterday, but there's no mention of it on their website at all. Starting to get a little worried now.

Mine must have arrived in same delivery at 14:24. No word yet, was hoping to have it today

Advertisement