Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rezoning in Delgany LAP 2013 - 2019

Options
  • 28-08-2013 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Folks we have just learned that Wicklow Co. Council are willing to allow the special atmosphere of Delgany to be destroyed by "more of the same" myopic development that got us (Ireland) where we are today! The County Manager has recommended the rezoning of the lands around Stylebawn House (see http://www.delganyheritagevillage.com/style_bawn.html for more information on this charming old property) for VC (Village Centre) redevelopment. See Submission No. 115 here for proof of this: http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Publications/Planning/Greystones%20Delgany%20Kilcoole/Draft/Stage%203/Stage%203%20Manager's%20Report%20on%20Draft%20GDKLAP2013-2019.pdf

www.wicklow.ie Help us resist this by raising as much awareness of this issue as you can. Delgany is a rare jewel amongst Ireland's villages. It has a tremendous history inextricably linked with the LaTouche family and the legacy they left our country. We cannot let this happen to such a special place. There is a petition available to sign and send to all the local councillors as well as a list of Coucillors and their e-mail addresses. It is vital that they receive the petition - preferrably by e-mail before Friday, 31st August 2013! People in Greystones woke up to find the village changed and spoiled beyond recognition with the construction of the new Marina. Let's not allow the same fate befall Delgany!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Thanks for letting us know.

WCC has really only one objective. To wreck everything that is pleasant about the whole area.

I would recommend actually meeting as many local councillors as possible, preferably in a group and get their commitment to vote against this proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Good idea Fiachra. How could we go about setting up a meeting? I've also put up an online petition for those not on the mailing list of Delgany Community Council who sent out the petition to individuals:

http://www.activism.com/en_IE/petition/opposition-to-rezoning-of-delgany-as-a-level-4-neighbourhood-centre-rezoning-of-stylebawn-house-and-gardens/44984

Go to the WCC or Greystones Gguide websites and you will get contact details for all of them. Just email/ring them I would try and meet them together but in the past we have found a reluctance on the part of the three FG councillors to meet with Tom Fortune (ind) present so you may have to have two meetings. If you can channel it through your community council that will be more effective

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

WW - your link to the planning has been removed or is invalid - can you summarize what they are planning on doing there?

Looking at the protected building list I can already see one change - the thatched roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yeah it would be great to see what is actually being changed which is of your concern OP without having to dig through pages of the draft LAP.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

3rd that, would love a summary :o

In the main, as I stated in the original post Wicklow Co Co plan to rezone Delgany to a Level 4 Neighbourhood Centre and have recommended changing the designation on the lands around Stylebawn House to allow for commercial development with an anchor tenant in the form of a supermarket along with other commercial outlets and higher density residential units. This will necessitate the realignment and upgrading of country lanes in the area, particularly Blackberry Lane. This will totally alter the appearance and feel of the area. No longer will it have the authentic "heritage village" atmosphere, instead it will be an artificial "faux" sham, made up of cobble block and concrete where once there were wild hedges, genuine stone walls and verges abundant with grasses, insects and wildlife.

The main thrust of our objections though, are on the following grounds:

"We are opposed to the designation of Delgany as a Level 4 Neighbourhood Centre, opposed to the RO18 referred to in Material Alteration No 20 and to the intensification of uses referred to in Material Alteration No 32 for the following reasons:

1. It will not be possible to give effect to the changes proposed in the LAP without radically altering the character of Delgany; Delgany has a distinct heritage. Its narrow twisty roads, bad bends and extensive walls are an integral part of its history, architecture and identity.
    2. Sustainable development would protect the unique topography and topology of the roads in and out of Delgany including Blackberry Lane; your proposal will destroy it.
    3. The proposed zoning will not support the existing village centre at Delgany. It is unfair on the few existing traders that provide jobs in Delgany to expose them to competition from new commercial development. We have watched the decay and slow death of Bray town centre. We do not want the same planning mistakes in Delgany.
    4. We have vacant commercial premises in the village and abandoned development sites. The Council should be encouraging and promoting consolidation of the existing village centre and existing zoned land.
    5. Delgany does not need a supermarket or a new shopping centre and all the associated traffic congestion. We have two grocery shops already. We don’t need more shops in Delgany. We want jobs for our young people and this proposal will put existing jobs at risk.
    6. The proposed zoning will exacerbate existing traffic congestion. RO18 might alleviate traffic stacking on the steep incline to exit from Blackberry Lane into the village but it will not alleviate the dangers at the bend or on Priory Road. Creating a new junction further south on Blackberry Lane will exacerbate the well documented traffic hazards on Blackberry Lane. The Council’s own environmental experts and planners have acknowledged that Blackberry Lane is a significant natural heritage. The 2006 LAP identifies the lane as a special amenity area. The County Manager has stated that Blackberry Lane has reached its full traffic capacity.
    7. The proposed zoning will generate more traffic to and from the bad bend. Sustainable planning would focus on a strategy to alleviate traffic congestion and promote land use patterns that encourage and facilitate use of local public transport, walking and cycling; The proposed zoning will impact adversely on village pedestrian environment and safety; Currently it is not safe for children to walk to school, to walk to church or walk to the bus stop
    8. The proposed zoning amounts to sprawl into green-field countryside

I hope that this answers any questions you may have and that we can rely on your support to protect what is rare and the remnants of authentic Delgany.

It does - and you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Stylebawn had wonderful gardens that were open to the public to walk and view, was terrific. I feel like puking reading this. It'd be more in line for WCC to repair the road surface and paths towards Delgany Golf Club entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Folks we have just learned that Wicklow Co. Council are willing to allow the special atmosphere of Delgany to be destroyed by "more of the same" myopic development that got us (Ireland) where we are today! The County Manager has recommended the rezoning of the lands around Stylebawn House (see http://www.delganyheritagevillage.com/style_bawn.html for more information on this charming old property) for VC (Village Centre) redevelopment. See Submission No. 115 here for proof of this: http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Publications/Planning/Greystones%20Delgany%20Kilcoole/Draft/Stage%203/Stage%203%20Manager's%20Report%20on%20Draft%20GDKLAP2013-2019.pdf
    http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Publications/Planning/Greystones%20Delgany%20Kilcoole/Draft/S
    www.wicklow.ie Help us resist this by raising as much awareness of this issue as you can. Delgany is a rare jewel amongst Ireland's villages. It has a tremendous history inextricably linked with the LaTouche family and the legacy they left our country. We cannot let this happen to such a special place. There is a petition available to sign and send to all the local councillors as well as a list of Coucillors and their e-mail addresses. It is vital that they receive the petition - preferrably by e-mail before Friday, 31st August 2013! People in Greystones woke up to find the village changed and spoiled beyond recognition with the construction of the new Marina. Let's not allow the same fate befall Delgany!
    The county manager..do you have a name for it?

• Advertisement

Thanks Taltos and I couldn't agree more Sasso... It would be great if we could organise some public gathering to make obvious and visible the feelings in the area on this matter.

do I have a name for ..?.. (the county manager?)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maudi wrote: »
    The county manager..do you have a name for it?

Please don't use the pronoun "it" for a person - it's not appropriate.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

At Mango Salsa - I didn't use the pronoun "it" to refer to the County Manager! I have a bit more breeding than that I think you'll find! I simply quoted the previous posters remarks, back to her, for clarification as I wasn't sure as to what or whom she referred.

FYI: I understand that the County Manager is Eddie Sheehy

At Mango Salsa - I didn't use the pronoun "it" to refer to the County Manager! I have a bit more breeding than that I think you'll find! I simply quoted the previous posters remarks, back to her, for clarification as I wasn't sure as to what or whom she referred.

Hi Wicklow Will

I know that. I clearly quoted another poster.

If there is any further feedback on moderation from anyone please pm me as per the forum charter

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Please don't use the pronoun "it" for a person - it's not appropriate.

Sorry.

FYI: I understand that the County Manager is Eddie Sheehy
    OH JESUS !!!SHOULD HAVE KNOWN...his reputation precedes him...abandon hope..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 greig

Wicklow county council have destroyed the local area, it is time for the planners heads on block. The harbour, mcdonalds beside 3 schools and now this. They really are making terrible decisions and should be stopped and removed from these positions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

can exact plans be seen before opposing anything??? this is all here say and conjecture. urban sprawl and growing population is a reality and needs to be dealt with, a quaint village with good logistics, plenty of development opportunity and 30 minutes from the city centre is going to have to succumb to
    some form of development at some stage.

it's all very well for those in houses out there that are worried about their view of luscious green pastures but what about the rest of us that need housing close enough to the city without having to move to Westmeath or the likes.

all that talk of "you'd think we'd have learned our lesson from the Celtic tiger era" is nonsense and irrelevant. we have learned our lesson and you can be damn sure that if something like this is being proposed and goes ahead its a bloody necessity for a host social and economic reasons, and I would be fairly confident it will be a project done with care and due diligence because of what's happened in the past.

as i say the growing population is a reality that needs to be dealt with, get over it and think of it as a necessity and accept that much. I for one, welcome this news and hope it gets the green light sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Surely to God it makes sense to firstly force the completion of development of the vast area's of undeveloped, derelict lands around the Greystones / Delgany area before rezoning more lands for development? This is a bizarre move, unless there is something I am missing? :confused:

Langerland wrote: »
    Surely to God it makes sense to firstly force the completion of development of the vast area's of undeveloped, derelict lands around the Greystones / Delgany area before rezoning more lands for development? This is a bizarre move, unless there is something I am missing? :confused:

you would think...but the reason is the same that we have all these empty idle buildings and houses all over the country yet we desperately need housing, schools and hospitals, its tied up in politics, red tape, banks, nama, legal battles etc.

some other investor has come up with a viable business plan for a development project free from any of that elsewhere.

OP

Your links were broken - I corrected one of them and cannot find the second - can you please check to see what the second link should be

Terry Pratchet

In reply to Muff RIchardson: I can assure you it is not "conjecture and hearsay". If you took the trouble to puruse the LAP and the Couniy Manager's recommendations that the submissions for rezoning be approved, you might be more informed before making comments on something about which you are obviously ignorant of the facts. What I and those of us who are concerned with the fate of Delgany, have stated, is there in black and white for anyone to see, if only they would take the trouble to research it!

As for your comments about it being all very well for those of us in houses etc. but what about those of you who require housing close to the city: The prospect of rezoning in Delgany and the construction of inappropriate units in a village such as this, will not address the problems that people in your predicament face. Your issue is with the lending institutions and the difficulties people face in accessing mortgages. As one other poster here commented - they should finish the ghost estates before despoiling one of the few areas that was left RELATIVELY unscathed by the greed of the tiger years.

Your particular answer would appear to show very little sympathy with nature, rural life and sustainable development. It typifies the approach so prevalent in those who would tear down what befits the pastoral or idyllic simply to replace it with concrete sprawl. Once, what is there now is gone, it is lost and gone forever.

It is time to halt this juggernaut now, before it ploughs its merciless track through this little bit of heaven beloved by those of us who enjoy peace and tranquility!

Maudi wrote: »
    OH JESUS !!!SHOULD HAVE KNOWN...his reputation precedes him...abandon hope..

Maudi, I can't comment on Mr Sheedy's reputation as I'd not heard of him before this matter arose. All I can say is that I would hope he would listen to the opinion of those of us who live in the area and want to preserve its intergrity for the future.

OP

Your links were broken - I corrected one of them and cannot find the second - can you please check to see what the second link should be

Thanks Mango Salsa. One of the other Moderators removed part of the hyperlink inadvertnelty I think (see previous post by Taltos(?)

I've found the document to which it related and have uploaded it. This document contains, on pg 143, the rezoning application wiht the County Manager's recommendations, which has sparked this debate.

I removed nothing :)
    Am not a mod here so don't have the access - I was commenting also earlier that I couldn't open them - gosh trying to get me in trouble with Mango and DD and here I was being supportive for a change ;)

In reply to Muff RIchardson: I can assure you it is not "conjecture and hearsay". If you took the trouble to puruse the LAP and the Couniy Manager's recommendations that the submissions for rezoning be approved, you might be more informed before making comments on something about which you are obviously ignorant of the facts. What I and those of us who are concerned with the fate of Delgany, have stated, is there in black and white for anyone to see, if only they would take the trouble to research it!

I've read a good deal about it before seeing it on boards, my here say and conjecture was with regard to the outcome of the project, who knows what shape it will take, it may not be the monstrosity and destruction of nature that you foresee. the specifics such as building structure layout, numbers, landscaping etc of the development have not yet been made available. i'd imagine i know as much as you do at this stage, unless that is you are actually involved in the project which i somehow doubt.
    As for your comments about it being all very well for those of us in houses etc. but what about those of you who require housing close to the city: The prospect of rezoning in Delgany and the construction of inappropriate units in a village such as this, will not address the problems that people in your predicament face. Your issue is with the lending institutions and the difficulties people face in accessing mortgages. As one other poster here commented - they should finish the ghost estates before despoiling one of the few areas that was left RELATIVELY unscathed by the greed of the tiger years.

I live in a grand house in greystones and go through and frequent delgany regularly and have a huge fondness for the place.

finishing a ghost estate is a poor argument, a lot of them turned into ghost estates for a reason, nobody wanted them and had zero value attached to them logistically, Delgany on the other hand is quite the opposite. but i guess you see shoving a particular group of people into a segregated district out of sight from your precious Delgany. i think thats called ghettoising, its usually done by rich people who are so up their own you know whats and dont want to be living in close quarters to the what you might call "riff raff".
    Your particular answer would appear to show very little sympathy with nature, rural life and sustainable development.

rural life? that's the point, delgany is not rural and will have you in the city centre of the capital within 30 minutes, why should Delgany escape urban sprawl and development? is it because YOU live there and this now effects YOU? Blackrock where I am from originally had farmland and nature galore when I was growing up....all housing estates now out of necessity, and fortunately done quite tastefully.

The developers and planners are not all evil profit thirsty monsters so cool your jets with the images of running bambi and his mates out of the forest with a diesel bulldozer with smoke pouring out of it. They do factor that little consideration for nature into their planning.

and for the record, i am a regular hiker and climber and have a huge love and respect for nature and the world we live in, especially the Irish rural countryside. Delgany is NOT rural countryside.
    It typifies the approach so prevalent in those who would tear down what befits the pastoral or idyllic simply to replace it with concrete sprawl. Once, what is there now is gone, it is lost and gone forever.

It is time to halt this juggernaut now, before it ploughs its merciless track through this little bit of heaven beloved by those of us who enjoy peace and tranquility!

gimme a bucket and a break. I take it you took this powerful passionate stance when all the developments around those quaint tranquil villages in the midlands were taking place over the last 15 years.

the population is growing, wake up. the mé féin attitude in this country is alive and kicking...

So having pride in your home.
    Not wanting to see it irrevocably changed.
    Trying to avoid another harbour debacle.

Yup - let's just ignore all the common sense arguments here, take a passive aggressive stance and dismiss the concerns of the existing community (even just a sample of it) because sure they are only living in the past and what do the uneducated masses know anyway.

Shocking.

• Advertisement

There is a scary but all too common assumption underlying this persons argument which is that this zoning is:
    • Carefully planned having regard to all relevant economic and developmental arguments.
    • Part of some greater strategy for the whole area
    • Is in the interest of the local (or even the national) community

People commonly make this mistake but the reverse is the reality. None of the above apply here. There are vast tracts of zoned land in the Greystones area suitable for retail and or residential but they are not being built on. So why zone more land?
    Quite simply because some landowner or developer wants it. Rest assured, the council planners didn't dream this up themselves and it is very unwise to assume they did.

Advertisement