Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overuse of the term "trolling" on Boards

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

MadsL wrote: »
    How are reported posts tracked?

I thought they generated a thread on Reported Posts, and that thread is locked when a mod has dealt with it? Is that the case?

Surely mods on AH or Soccer must be getting hundreds of emails a day?

A thread is generated instantly, and an e-mail is sent to the relevant mods. I can't tell you any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

A thread is generated instantly, and an e-mail is sent to the relevant mods. I can't tell you any more than that.

*Offers the Secret handshake*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I thought they generated a thread on Reported Posts, and that thread is locked when a mod has dealt with it? Is that the case?

There's a lot of noise alright. If a clearly spurious report comes in, it typically goes unheeded.
    If something comes in which obviously requires action, a mod may reply in the reported posts thread indicating that it's dealt with.

But there's no singular way in which all mods and all forums deal with reported posts, it varies from forum to forum and mod to mod. Some are noisy and let their co-mods know what their doing, other mods just take action and tell no-one.

At least that's how it was in my day.

Turns out that trying to enforce a process-driven structure on volunteers is a lot like herding cats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Beasty wrote: »
    It's better if you continue reporting posts as it helps mods to see if a pattern emerges. This is particularly the case with some of the busier forums where it's practically impossible for the mods to read everything

Fair enough, but it can be frusrating to see other people getting worked up about an obvious troll and pages of what is clearly troll feeding with no action seemingly taken after the report goes in.

Find it hard to believe there's a lack of suitable mods - I've seen a few posters knocking about whom I would think good candidates (not not nessecarily the ones I agree with).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

To be fair, Daisy, I've lost count of the amount of times I've reported a post for torllign only for nothing to happen. Some may have been a bit borderline, fair enough, but one or two were pretty safe bets.

I know it's already been answered to a degree, but to reiterate, often action is taken in the background that you might not see. Sometimes this is where the wrong use of the word trolling is used too, perhaps they're not trolling - perhaps they just have a very different opinion to the majority. Often it's black and white, but just as often it's not, and many factors have to be taken into consideration before you ban someone for trolling.

One big example of the misuse of the word comes with abortion threads. If someone is prolife they are instantly dismissed as a troll and, certainly in the forums I mod, will be reported as such and called out as such on thread. God forbid (no pun intended) that someone might actually feel strongly against the majority.

This is also where "modding without feeling" comes in to play and you have to always ensure that you don't allow your beliefs or your emotions to cloud your modding decisions.

If it really looks as if a reported post has been missed, drop us a PM. Bearing in mind we're not all online all the time so we need a chance to respond - further bearing in mind that if we look like we're online we may be on our phone or something and have limited access to mod tools.

As has already been mentioned - all mods and cmods of a forum get an email each time a post is reported, a new thread is also created (just one thread per post but emails come through each time the report button is clicked). With the mod teams that I work with, we thank the first RP to indicate we are actioning same. If we don't think it's actionable, we will either post in our respective mod forums, or post a note on the RP thread.

I can't speak for soccer, but no, hundreds of posts aren't reported every day in AH. Consider that there are approximately 2000 posts in After Hours per day - if 10% of those were reportable we'd really need to look at forum overhaul! Thankfully most people are capable of posting civilly and within the rules.

• Advertisement
Advertisement