Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would you term as 'Sleeping Giant' Clubs?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

grenache wrote: »
    A city of 300k isn't big enough for two professional clubs.

:confused: It obviously is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

jmayo wrote: »
    I would definitely take Parma out of there since they only arrived in the 90s due to the money of Parmalat and once they hit the rocks the club went downhill and became a feeder club of the likes of Juve.

Similarly with Notts Forest who only won two FA cups in the all the years upto Cloughie taking over and spent most of their years in the old second division.

Blackburn Rovers have done a hell of a lot of sleeping in their history and are awaiting another Jack Walker to wake them up.

Former giants who have slipped to me are Liverpool, Ajax who dominated both their leagues and Europe for number of years.

Really?
    When Blackburn were in the Premiership they were the smallest town to play in it for many years, and havnt got much of a catchment area considering Burnley, Preston, Bolton, Utd, Liverpool are all within an hour of the town.

Id say they punched above their weight because of Jack Walkers money and great management of the club up untill they sold to the Venkys

Galway Utd.

In such a deep sleep it has missed 2 seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm not sure quite what that has to do with what I said.

You said the two were the same. I pointed out how we weren't.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Not big enough for two successful clubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Athlone Town.

We drew with Milan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Zebra3 wrote: »

Yes true, but it hardly qualifies one of the teams as sleeping giants when there are so many other teams in and around the catchment area. Forest have a great history and a good stadium but there is nothing to suggest that they are sleeping giants. I would say they are a natural bottom half of the prem, top half of the championship team and not much beyond that.

More like an underachieving quite tall person than a sleeping giant.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

grenache wrote: »
    You said the two were the same. I pointed out how we weren't.
    No, I implied there were similarities. Two traditionally unfashionable teams that are perceived to be bigger than they are amongst fans of certain age groups due to a brief golden age during or just before those groups' childhoods. The specifics of how they came about their success are irrelevant.

No, I implied there were similarities. Two traditionally unfashionable teams that are perceived to be bigger than they are amongst fans of certain age groups due to a brief golden age during or just before those groups' childhoods. The specifics of how they came about their success are irrelevant.

Ok. I didn't see that implement in your first post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Deportivo. The Spanish Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

To be fair though Depor weren't a particularly big club at all prior to the 1990s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Gothenburg from Sweden would be one. Grasshoppers are another team I remember from a few years ago.

carlop wrote: »
    To be fair though Depor weren't a particularly big club at all prior to the 1990s.

Galicia is a pretty big region, they have a large fanbase at least.

kksaints wrote: »
    Gothenburg from Sweden would be one. Grasshoppers are another team I remember from a few years ago.

Grasshoppers? Played champs league qualifiers this year and won the swiss cup too..hardly sleeping, hardly giants. Biggest club in Zurich I suppose. Giant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

dd972 wrote: »
    If Villa were taken over Man City style they'd definitely become a big player

If Dagenham and Redbridge were taken over City/Chelsea style they'd be a big player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

People debating Forest inclusion in this thread yet Malmo a club from a similar sized city that finished runners up in a european cup gets a mention.

Forest are sleeping giants, a club with huge potential that I would love to see back in the top division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I am pie wrote: »
    Galicia is a pretty big region, they have a large fanbase at least.

The population of Coruna is 250,000, Vigo is the biggest city in Galicia. They have a large fanbase now because a lot of people started supporting them when they began to challenge in the 1990s. Galicians are also far more likely to support one of their own teams rather than Barca or Madrid compared to somebody from Castilla or Andalucia.

I guess they could now be referred to as a sleeping giant, but a very young giant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Celtic are the biggest sleeping giants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Celtic are the biggest sleeping giants.

Being held back by playing in a sh*te league isn't the same thing as being a sleeping giant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Arsenal are fast becoming one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Surprised nobody has mentioned Doncaster Rovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doncaster_Rovers_F.C.

major bill wrote: »
    People debating Forest inclusion in this thread yet Malmo a club from a similar sized city that finished runners up in a european cup gets a mention.

Forest are sleeping giants, a club with huge potential that I would love to see back in the top division.

OK Bill, I'll bite.

I included Malmo, but you're right, they aren't really sleeping giants I guess. It is not correct however to say that Forest are sleeping giants, they just are not.

They don't have the catchment area, the stadium (30k, small in prem terms) or the history (they had a brief period of over achievement with Clough) to be considered sleeping giants. East midlands has lots of clubs in and around them. Are Coventry sleeping giants too? They have 300k+ population with a more modern stadium (which they cannot play in right now!) and are the only club in coventry. The won an FA cup once, the must be sleeping giants right?

What about Leicester...not too far away? Population of almost 500k..800k in the urban area, slightly bigger stadium (32k) and the only team in Leicester...are the sleeping giants too?

No, clearly not and neither are Forest just because they overachieved for a brief period in their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Rip van Winkle style :)

Yer man who plays for Norwich? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

OK Bill, I'll bite.

I included Malmo, but you're right, they aren't really sleeping giants I guess. It is not correct however to say that Forest are sleeping giants, they just are not.

They don't have the catchment area, the stadium (30k, small in prem terms) or the history (they had a brief period of over achievement with Clough) to be considered sleeping giants. East midlands has lots of clubs in and around them. Are Coventry sleeping giants too? They have 300k+ population with a more modern stadium (which they cannot play in right now!) and are the only club in coventry. The won an FA cup once, the must be sleeping giants right?

What about Leicester...not too far away? Population of almost 500k..800k in the urban area, slightly bigger stadium (32k) and the only team in Leicester...are the sleeping giants too?

No, clearly not and neither are Forest just because they overachieved for a brief period in their history.

Leicester and Coventry never won two European cups though nor have most English clubs and to say it was an Over achievement is a bit unfair,

Looking into sizes of cities and catchment areas are pointless...Forest have been there and were once a major side in European football and to me this is what defines a footballing giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Nantes. One of the most successful French clubs. Nothing of note from them for over a decade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Peter Crouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Napoli were up until very recently.

Great to see them make so much progress in the last half-decade or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Galway United

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I do remember them stuffing Utd home and away in the Champions League group stage then we returned the favour in the knock outs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I do remember them stuffing Utd home and away in the Champions League group stage then we returned the favour in the knock outs :pac:

The weird thing is those were the only two matches Deportivo won in that group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

OK Bill, I'll bite.

I agree with you that Forest are not a "sleeping giant", like Aston Villa or Leeds per se, rather a relatively big club who have underachieved.

However you are clearly incorrect in what you say in the highlighted bit. The East Midlands is a very large area stretching from Derbyshire over to Lincolnshire and down to Northants, encompassing 4.5 million people. Leicester may be the largest city in the region, but it's urban area is only 508k and not 800k as you quoted. Nottingham Urban Area is actually the largest urban conurbation, with 730,000. I would think that is more than a big enough catchment area for Forest. On the contrary to what you said, I think it's a very wide base from which to draw fans, certainly far less congested and with less competition than say the North West or London regions. There are only 3 big clubs in the whole of the East Mids - Derby, Leicester and the afore-mentioned Forest (Coventry are technically West Mids). And all of them have many fans throughout the region and beyond.

It's disingenuous to say Forest had a "brief period" of success under Clough- we were a top 5 team for over 2 decades under him, and his successor Frank Clark. We also had a couple of high finishes under Johnny Carey in the 60s, being runners up to Man Utd in '67. The stadium capacity of 30k would also be about average for Premier League, being higher than that of 8 current Premier League stadia.

And you surely cannot compare Forest to Coventry? We have won 10 major trophies, they have amassed 1. Coventry have rarely troubled the top ten positions in the Premier League or old First Division. Leicester have won relatively little in comparison too, with only 4 trophies in 130 years. Therefore I don't think anybody could successfully assert that either club was a "sleeping giant" of any sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

No love for red star belgrade. They'll be back one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Nantes. One of the most successful French clubs. Nothing of note from them for over a decade.
    Nantes are not doing too bad this year after a couple of seasons, thought I was their only fan in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Nantes are not doing too bad this year after a couple of seasons, thought I was their only fan in Ireland!

Just saw this - you're not :D Went over to catch the Nantes-Monaco match a few weeks ago. Third time at the Beaujoire, I've family from an hour away and support them as my Dad did. Tune in to streams of the majority of games too - will be watching the Reims match later - good to see someone else with an interest!

Advertisement