Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA road trip

Options
  • 28-08-2013 10:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

Hi,

Looking to do a mini road trip next year in the USA

Will be in Vegas first for a couple of night and then thinking of driving across to New Orleans via Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

Any suggestions on good thing to do/see?

Would like to go somewhere else after New Orleans maybe too but doenst seem to be much around the area which isnt a 7-8 hour drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Austin is worth a stop for a day, as is San Antonio
    Houston is good for bbq but not much else apparently.
    If you're driving by Phoenix then Pizzeria Bianco is apparently the best in the USA. Chris Bianco is a native New Yorker but trained in Italy, and wanted to go somewhere in America that had no good pizza to speak of and create the best pizza in the country and by all accounts succeeded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 pico84

Thanks for the advise will look up that Pizzeria Bianco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Take the 10 hour trip to Orlando, FL. Well worth it.

Might be a bit a far, thinking of going north for about 6 hours to memphis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

That looks like an amazing trip. Not exactly a "mini road trip" its 1700 miles.

I'd say the only issue would be getting through most of new mexico and Texas and the amount of time that would take. 2-3 days perhaps if you're zipping straight through but longer if you go down to Austin (and san antonio?) which seem like the only cities worth visiting in Texas. I would worry that you would get heartily sick of driving through flat nothingness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_hypnosis

But there's no easier way to get to New Orleans from the west.

An (scenic) alternative route would be to go north out of vegas, into Utah, then over the rockies in colorado, then you've only got (the wilderness in) half of colorado and half of Kansas before you cut south through arkansas, and down to New Orleans. Just a thought.

• Advertisement

Also remember to check on rental car charges if you're dropping off in another state to where you rented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

pico84 wrote: »
    Might be a bit a far, thinking of going north for about 6 hours to memphis

Might be a bit far, but if you’ve never been to Orlando, and avoid all it has to offer just becasuse of a few hours, you’ll be kicking yourself for a long time.

InTheTrees wrote: »

I'd say the only issue would be getting through most of new mexico and Texas and the amount of time that would take. 2-3 days perhaps if you're zipping straight through but longer if you go down to Austin (and san antonio?) which seem like the only cities worth visiting in Texas. I would worry that you would get heartily sick of driving through flat nothingness.

An (scenic) alternative route would be to go north out of vegas, into Utah, then over the rockies in colorado, then you've only got (the wilderness in) half of colorado and half of Kansas before you cut south through arkansas, and down to New Orleans. Just a thought.

The driving through nothingness isnt really an issue for me done it previously through Australia for much longer distances.
    Thanks for the advise though sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

There is little risk of the OP experiencing highway hypnosis for more than a few seconds at a time, because the surroundings will be uncommon to him and he may also have company to stimulate his mind, preventing the trance state.

Source = Hypnotist = Me

goz83 wrote: »
    There is little risk of the OP experiencing highway hypnosis for more than a few seconds at a time,

:eek:

Woa. At 70mph that would be over 200 feet. thats Risky anyway you look at it.

Anyway the link was just a gag, my point was the northern route through utah and the rockies has spectacular scenery. The southern route doesnt. Thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

:eek:

Woa. At 70mph that would be over 200 feet. thats Risky anyway you look at it.

Anyway the link was just a gag, my point was the northern route through utah and the rockies has spectacular scenery. The southern route doesnt. Thats all.

Yeah I know it was a humour link, but still, highway hypnosis happens to most of us everyday and it's not nearly as dangerous as some people claim. In fact, I would argue it is safer driving this way, as you're less likely to speed and take chances....however, sometimes your mind drives your car to somewhere you didn't intend going, but that's another thread I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

goz83 wrote: »
    ....however, sometimes your mind drives your car to somewhere you didn't intend going

Right so, that's what I'm telling the missus next time I 'accidentally' end up at the pub!

Advertisement