Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ventilation Issues

Options
  • 28-08-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I have an issue in the house I just bought and moved into, there are no vents in any of the rooms and I have noticed that in the bedroom, the bed is always damp. There is also our bathroom/shower rooms which are tiled from floor to the ceiling/wall joint and I have spotted mould in the top corner plus a damp smell. Is all this caused by a ventilation issue? Would knocking through holes in the outside walls and installing vent covers elimnate these issues? Or is there any alternative solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

cwmoore wrote: »
    Would knocking through holes in the outside walls and installing vent covers elimnate these issues?

Yes it would help . Turning the heating on and leaving it on 24/7 for a week two would also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cwmoore

Thanks for the advise, must see about getting a core drill and bore through the walls. Hopefully that will eliminate the problem or at least reduce substantially. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

cwmoore wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise, must see about getting a core drill and bore through the walls. Hopefully that will eliminate the problem or at least reduce substantially. Cheers.

There are better and more intelligent ventilation systems than the standard "hole in the wall" such as PIV, DCV and MVHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

MicktheMan wrote: »
    There are better and more intelligent ventilation systems than the standard "hole in the wall" such as PIV, DCV and MVHR.

These all cost a hell of a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

adam88 wrote: »

So does poor health, frequent redecoration costs, higher heating bills etc:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

adam88 wrote: »

Firstly if you want to understand ventilation read TGD Part F

"http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1647,en.pdf

You should have vent fans in the bathrooms to provide boost and passive vents in the bedrooms

You should then look at how you can minimise drafts - everyone with 6inch holes has this issue.

There is one company which does passive humidity sensitive self adjusting vents which are not expensive - fit into a standard 6 inch hole and can really help reduce drafts while complying with Part F

Part F is part of what the original signatory of the build was signing up to and if this has not been met then that's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

That link is not working.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

BryanF wrote: »

Many thanks for that. The house in refurbish is 40 years old. Looking at the regs I seem to be okay. I'll have mechanical fans in all bathrooms kitchen and utility. Trickle vents in the windows and possible "hole in the wall" vents in sitting room. I think I should be okay.

Advertisement