Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Pro SP3 shutdown - hanging

Options
  • 28-08-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

My laptop which is running on XP Pro (SP3) hangs during the shutdown process in approximately 5% of cases. All updates etc have been installed. At shutdown stage, it goes through the process of logging off, saving settings and in approximately 5% of cases hangs at the shutdown stage, necessitating a physical switch off. The problem started to arise some months ago for no apparent reason. A new HD was installed some months ago and Windows XP was re-installed at that stage, hence it is a relatively new installation. There does not appear to be any pattern regarding applications / programs usage etc. etc. Any suggestions with regard to a possible solution will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Make sure all the drivers are up to date. I've noticed dodgy video card/audio drivers cause this. What security software are you using?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Thank you for your response Nick. I am running McAfee Internet Security and have established that it is not related to that. Prior to the installation of the new hard disk, I was having blue screen shutdown errors related to McAfee due to the existence of bad disk sectors, hence the installation of the new disk and fresh installation of Windows XP, referred to in my original post. At time of installation I installed and checked that all drivers were up-do-date and have not installed any new software since that time. Incidentally, I am using a Dell Latitude, mainly using MS Office applications and use Google as my search engine. Do you know if physically having to switch-off the PC has the potential to cause problems? Thanks again for your response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

As a workaround, you may use Superfast Shutdown.

But remember, a workaround is not a permanent solution. ;)

P.S.: use the Direct Download Link, not the prominent green download button above it, unless you want to install CNET's download manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Thanks Torqay. Don't actually know what Superfast Shutdown is or entails but am really more interested in getting to the root cause of the problem and seeking to rectify it permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Maidhci wrote: »
    Thanks Torqay. Don't actually know what Superfast Shutdown is or entails

It does exactly what it says on the tin. ;)

Shuts down or restarts the system immediately even if some service or process is stubborn enough not to respond. (and no, it doesn't do any harm, but you may loose work that has not been saved)
    Maidhci wrote: »
    am really more interested in getting to the root cause of the problem and seeking to rectify it permanently.

Checking the event log might be worth your while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement