Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCD/Lusk - Schools and To Live

Options
  • 28-08-2013 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I’ve a query around schools in NCD. I’ve seen some other threads but they seem to focus on Balbriggan/Rush/Loughshinny, so didn’t want to drag up an old thread that’s maybe a bit different with the area I am talking about. Myself and my wife are planning to move to NCD to buy, from renting nearer the city. We are looking to get a house outside the towns, with possibly a bit more space and grass, and have seen a few houses. I know transport is better in some areas than others, and I’ve looked into that for working in town. But one of the more important things to us, is schools down the line when a couple of bambino’s hopefully come along.

Skerries would be our ideal, but space wise, for what we’d ideally like, its not an option for the money. Rush seems that slight bit more expensive than Lusk also. So we’ve seen a couple of houses outside Lusk which we like. So my question is really about the schooling options available in the area? There seems to be a few national schools around, do people literally go to the nearest one, or without down talking any, are some of them better than others, or are certain schools better for going to a good secondary school? I assume they go by parish/siblings, etc. if it come down to numbers for places. What about secondary schools then, do people in Lusk go to a Lusk secondary school or can they go to the likes of Rush and beyond? Did I see that there is only one boys only secondary school in NCD, that can’t be right?

Any opinions on Lusk in general, there seems be have been a lot of new estates in the last 10 years, and the village itself seems quite small for the population there might be in 10 years time? I have heard of some anti-social behaviour also. I’d like to think its not much worse than in Rush or Donabate etc? Also we can perhaps avoid it a bit better if not living in the town itself.

Any help for a potential future neighbour would be greatly appreciated, and I hope I’m not digging up ground that’s too well covered already.

Cheers
    MartinAnt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

hi, and hopefully welcome to Lusk.

We have been living outside the village since 90, and find it a great place to live.

Primary School wise, as you have said there is Corduff NS, Hedgestown NS, and of course the school in Lusk.
    People don't necessarily use the nearest, I see lots of children from Lusk being dropped off at Corduff, probably best if you check with the schools as to their enrolment options.

A new secondary school is opening this week, in Lusk, they are starting with 1st year intake, next year 1st and 2nd etc.
    The school is on the bye-pass near the Skerries Rd roundabout.
    There is also the Educate together, also on the bye-pass.

Facilities in the village are good, GAA, Soccer clubs, Cricket 1/2 way to Skerries, at ''The Hills''. All have a bar.
    The soccer Club, may be moving to a new facility beside the Secondary school, not sure where that one is, funding wise.
    Pubs are OK, but both the same family.
    We have a Super-valu, Centra, and Costcutter, 3 Chemists, and various other retail outlets, two chippers, and a Chinese Take away.

Transport wise you have the 33 Dublin bus servicing the village, Train Station on the Rush Rd
    If you are outside the village, the 101, Balbriggan-Dublin Bus Eireann, travels down the R132, stopping at Murtaghs, Ministers Rd, Corduff NS, and then is straight into town, good service roughly every 1/2 hour.

Yes the village grew over the past years with new estates at, Dun Emer, Lusk Village, ( great name for an estate in the village of Lusk ):rolleyes: and Chapel Farm, these estates are well settled in now,

Not aware of Anti-social activity and more than your typical village, few burglaries, ( including me,) but you get that everywhere.

So hope the house search goes well, and hopefully, see you in Lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I grew up in Lusk (born early 80s) it has become quite a nice big village since then with lots more amenities.

I can recommend being the train station side of the village, it improves the public transport options back from town, which although not great are slightly better than the areas around i.e. you have 'regular' train and bus journeys that are bearable unlike Donabate (bus is infrequent?), Skerries (bus takes an age) or Loughshinney (no train unless you have a car and after a few pints in town you won't). Also it means you won't have to pick up the kids every time from the station if your within walking distance.

Also proximity to the airport is very handy (I live abroad now so visiting the folks is made easier as its only ~20 mins away) although public transport to there can be tricky (I worked in the airport as a student).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

martinn123 wrote: »
    hi, and hopefully welcome to Lusk.

We have been living outside the village since 90, and find it a great place to live.

Primary School wise, as you have said there is Corduff NS, Hedgestown NS, and of course the school in Lusk.
    People don't necessarily use the nearest, I see lots of children from Lusk being dropped off at Corduff, probably best if you check with the schools as to their enrolment options.

A new secondary school is opening this week, in Lusk, they are starting with 1st year intake, next year 1st and 2nd etc.
    The school is on the bye-pass near the Skerries Rd roundabout.
    There is also the Educate together, also on the bye-pass.

Facilities in the village are good, GAA, Soccer clubs, Cricket 1/2 way to Skerries, at ''The Hills''. All have a bar.
    The soccer Club, may be moving to a new facility beside the Secondary school, not sure where that one is, funding wise.
    Pubs are OK, but both the same family.
    We have a Super-valu, Centra, and Costcutter, 3 Chemists, and various other retail outlets, two chippers, and a Chinese Take away.

Transport wise you have the 33 Dublin bus servicing the village, Train Station on the Rush Rd
    If you are outside the village, the 101, Balbriggan-Dublin Bus Eireann, travels down the R132, stopping at Murtaghs, Ministers Rd, Corduff NS, and then is straight into town, good service roughly every 1/2 hour.

Yes the village grew over the past years with new estates at, Dun Emer, Lusk Village, ( great name for an estate in the village of Lusk ):rolleyes: and Chapel Farm, these estates are well settled in now,

Not aware of Anti-social activity and more than your typical village, few burglaries, ( including me,) but you get that everywhere.

So hope the house search goes well, and hopefully, see you in Lusk.

Should be open within a month or so i heard

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MartinAnt

Thanks for the replies folks, appreciate you taking the time.

A lot of positive feedback there. Can i ask what are the cons then, if any in your opinion? And what are people's thoughts on living in Lusk as opposed to Rush for example? Is there more of a community feel to one more so than the other, are people more/less friendly? I do like the idea of being near the sea in Rush (or Donabate for that matter, but does seem like apart from the train, transport isnt great here), but I know I am not far away in Lusk.

Cheers,
    MartinAnt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Rush is a little bigger. I would not say there are any cons to living in Lusk. Very nice people.

Rush has 4 primary schools in parish, Rush N.S, St. Catherines Gael scoil and St. Brendan's. Also quite a decent secondary school, St Josephs. Public transport is fairly decent.

Rush has a lot to offer on many fronts. 2 beautiful beach's, good pubs, restaurants, a fantastic library, Millbank theater, Eurospar, centra and Tesco. there are loads of clubs, St. Maurs G.A.A, Rush Ath soccer, Rush Cricket club, Golf club, Basketball club, Badminton club, Camera club, Gyms, Running club, pipe band, 2 For Oige youth groups rince ceol fingal, music and Irish dancing. Now it also has a vibrant tidy towns and community council.

I have lived here all my life and feel it has everything a family needs. Something for everyone.

Oh and a good postal service:D (Im the postie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MartinAnt

Does anyone have any opinion on the Kenure area of Rush? I am looking at some houses up there, but have been reading up on anti social behaviour in Kenure Woods, and around Kenure Park I think it was.

Are there still problems in these areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

I know you say you have dismissed Skerries, but if there's any chance of it, I would highly recommend it, even if it meant a smaller house.
    Skerries has 4 primary schools, 1 secondary - all good - a train station, and a better range of shops and restaurants than the others. There are 2 annual festivals, Patrick's day parades, motorbike and pushbike races, and lots of other things. It has won the area award in Tidy Towns for the last few years, has won and been shortlisted for the all Ireland Pride of Place Awards, and came 2nd in the Best Place to Live in Ireland awards. There's a really strong community spirit. I'm happy to report it's the best place I've ever lived, and I wouldn't ever move, even if it meant having to downsize.

This post means no disrespect to Rush, Lusk, Loughshinney and Balbriggan - I have friends in all 3, and they are all happy there, but judging by the amount of times I bump into them in Skerries I suspect some of them would rather live here. (If I had to choose one of the others to live in I would choose Rush, which has lots of what Skerries has, but the distance from the train station would put me off, and Skerries secondary school is definitely better.)

MartinAnt wrote: »
    Does anyone have any opinion on the Kenure area of Rush? I am looking at some houses up there, but have been reading up on anti social behaviour in Kenure Woods, and around Kenure Park I think it was.

Are there still problems in these areas?

Like EVERY other area there is an element of anti-social behavior. There was a drinking area in Kenure woods but that appears to have subsided quite a bit. I have never seen or heard of anti-social behavior in Kenure itself.

Kenure is a very nice area with no anti social behavior problems. Its well maintained and a very mature area. I would say it is an ideal place to live. You are within walking distance, 10 -15minutes of 3 primary schools and a very good secondary school. Tesco and Eurospar are just down the road. G.A.A. club with GYM is just up the road. Scout den at end of woods. Cricket club is along boundary of estate. Library and Millbank theatre are just down the road beside the church. 10 minute walk to north beach. Bus stop at end of the road.

pinkbear wrote: »

no disrespect to Rush Skerries secondary school is definitely better.)

What do you base this on? St Josephs in Rush is a superb school.

I mean no disrespect but I drive through Skerries 3 times a day and some of what I see around Balbriggan Street and Dublin Road I dont see as much of in Rush. The most recent exam results in St Josephs were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ilovesmoothies

If you are considering moving to Lusk you will get more value for money with your house. In Skerries, houses are very overpriced considering their size, especially if you compare with other houses in Lusk and Rush.

I am from Lusk, lived here all my life. I would recommend anyone to buy a house here. There is still that sense of community spirit even though the village has expanded over the last ten years or so.

There are lots of different activities within the town that happen on a weekly basis for children, including soccer, Irish dancing, Hip Hop dancing, Scouts, GAA, Drama classes which take place in the Round Tower Church, which has been recently renovated.

You are close enough to both Rush and Skerries to use the amenities in both towns, such as the beach or libraries. In Lusk we also have a portable library that comes I think once a week and parks outside Kelly Pk.

Lusk also has the brand new secondary school which is exciting! Absolutely fabulous building.

There are wonderful clubs in Lusk such as the GAA club and the Soccer club The Soccer club is relocating very soon to the Lusk bypass. Beautiful new club house with floodlit pitches. The GAA club has regular bands on at the weekends, great atmosphere and a great pint. There is also a brilliant gym in Lusk with such helpful staff, it is situated within the Dun Emer estate above the Centra shop. Great classes.

There are two pubs in Lusk, The Top Shop which is situated on the Main street in Lusk and Murrays which is situated on the Square in Lusk. Both pubs have music on at the weekend and Schroders is attached to Murrays, it is a disco type bar which is great craic.

The train station is about a 15 min walk from Dun Emer area. There are regular buses into Swords and City Centre every day. I think there is also a 33X bus which goes directly into City Centre in the mornings.

There is also a lovely coffee shop in Lusk which is situated on the old post rd. It is called the Hot Spot. They do gorgeous breakfasts and lunches. I would highly recommend going for some grub.

Happy house hunting. Hope I was some help to you :-)

• Advertisement

Ps I went to secondary school in Skerries and I wouldnt rate it ;-)

My sister lives 20 metres from the woods and her bins have been robbed 3 times a couple of years ago:-/ but I think that all of that antisocial behaviour has been dealt with.

Advertisement