Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Samoyed??

• 28-08-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭

So there I was at work, minding my own business, when a lady was standing across the way holding a puppy, and some staff from the restaurant were fawning over the little thing.

So I went over to have a look, since I'm a sucker for most animals, especially baby ones! The pup was totally black and very fluffy, and quite young looking. I asked her if it was a Newfoundland, and she said no, it's a Samoyed Husky!

Now I know that technically they're just called Samoyeds. I didn't think it was possibly to have a black Samoyed, so I did some googling of Newfoundland puppies, but this pup seemed to have shorter ears, that only slightly hung down and it also had a curled tail which was resting on its back. Both of these characteristics are in Samoyed puppies (their ears seem to only become pointed when they're a bit older).

So unless it's a crossbreed, the lady was either told it was a pure-bred, or she's pretending it's a pure-bred. Has anyone ever come across a black one before, or any suggestions as to what breed it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I hope that she didn't pay a lot of money for a rare breed. Possibly a chow, or a sammy/chow cross?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It could be a badly bred Sammy sold by an unscrupulous breeder as a 'rare' one. Acceptable colours for Sams are pure white, white and biscuit, cream, or outer coat silver tipped.

If it's a Chow cross then I hope she has insurance because they're prone to some huge and expensive ailments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm pretty sure i have seen photos of puppies on places like done deal that are samoyed crossed with huskies and they were black. I remember being surprised at the time about the lack of markings and that they were black. So maybe she does have a 'samoyed husky' as she put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I think I've solved it! I looked up Samoyed on Done Deal and I came across an ad for Pomeranian Samoyed cross pups for sale. After seeing it I did remember that she started to say Pom when I asked about the breed, then said "no" *speaks Polish to her friend*, then said Samoyed husky.
    The ad was a local one also, so I'd say that's where she got him. Case solved! Poms can be black and have a curled tail. I'd be interested to see what size he grows to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Even crossing a sammy with a collie or lab can give you a black puppy, so I wouldn't be surprised if its a cross of something simple like that. Chow crosses I imagine would be hard enough to come by here

Collie/samoyed mix, i imagine as a pup he probably looked like a black samoyed pup
    Fin-4.jpg
    Fin-7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

he is very quite rommie

Advertisement