Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2013/14 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

Des,
    With slide tackles outlawed, can you ask Astro for confirmation on whether this approach is permitted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

good competitive game as usual, i think thats the 6th game we have played thats been decided by a goal. took our back 4 about 15 minutes to wake up but after that they were outstanding and overall the game was pretty even, both teams dominated for about 25 minutes each.

Cough * Isn't that when I left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

at the request of Portugal, the game next week has moved to 7.15 kick off, Colmcilles.

either that, or there would be no game as they cant make 8.15!

at the request of Portugal, the game next week has moved to 7.15 kick off, Colmcilles.

either that, or there would be no game as they cant make 8.15!

Perfect, suites me better anyway, another match monday at 8.30

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

[Somewhat late..]

Very useful experience I think, going 3-0 up early on and then defending that lead for the rest of the game, though risky at times. It could so easily have been 3-2 at halftime with their last attack which would've been a poor return for the first half control.

Second half was very tough and some good defending and good saves kept the lead intact, while not threatening too much going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

looks like they are after updating their website looks better and seems quicker,i wasnt a fan of the previous website astro.ie had so thats good.

mrDerek wrote: »
    looks like they are after updating their website looks better and seems quicker,i wasnt a fan of the previous website astro.ie had so thats good.

Their previous website, rumor has it was coded by a monkey humping a chicken whilst on crack, just a rumor though so don't quote me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Their previous website, rumor has it was coded by a monkey humping a chicken whilst on crack, just a rumor though so don't quote me.

Need to know about Foxy - is he planning to join up, is he around tonight?

Derek, how's the hammer? Is Luke/Kingsley around tonight?

Legs still broke am gone for today and possibly next week but will know closer to the date for defo as for Luke I dno ill txt him and let him know and kings works Mondays that's y he hasn't been around

are you coming tonight to watch?

• Advertisement

Need to know about Foxy - is he planning to join up, is he around tonight?

Derek, how's the hammer? Is Luke/Kingsley around tonight?

I've text foxy, he'll text me at lunch.

So, a 2-3 loss that probably was harsh, but the concentration was absolutely non-existant at the end, all that hard work to get it back to 2-2 thrown away.

Anyway, I think those three friendlies were very helpful, and good commitment shown from everyone which bodes well for the season.

I want everyone to look out their window today, and look at that rain.

If you aren't up for playing in that weather, then have a re-think about joining the team, more often than not, that is what it will be like.

It will also be freezing.

some lads still have yet to make any payment on the fee, so I'll send another text this week. If you haven't even made an effort to make some payment towards the fee, you will not be selected to play.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

we were very good for a 15 min spell in the 2nd half.. however falling asleep for their 3rd was just ridiculous

So, a 2-3 loss that probably was harsh, but the concentration was absolutely non-existant at the end, all that hard work to get it back to 2-2 thrown away.

Anyway, I think those three friendlies were very helpful, and good commitment shown from everyone which bodes well for the season.

I want everyone to look out their window today, and look at that rain.

If you aren't up for playing in that weather, then have a re-think about joining the team, more often than not, that is what it will be like.

It will also be freezing.

some lads still have yet to make any payment on the fee, so I'll send another text this week. If you haven't even made an effort to make some payment towards the fee, you will not be selected to play.

Yea the weather in the winter is ****ing horrible, not to mention the pitch is normally laden with ice, but yea need bodies, we were very short last night, subs make a massive difference, you could see at the start last year when we had 16 up and could bring on and rotate poeple throughout the game we were a lot fresher.

Horrible 3rd goal, but we probably didn't deserve to even draw the game, they were the better team throughout the game, truth be told.

Friendlies are always good to get the badness out and I think we can take a lot of positives from those 3 games.

Big shout out to Ed for organizing this, much appreciated and it was very well run, thanks guys.

See you when the league starts.

we were very good for a 15 min spell in the 2nd half.. however falling asleep for their 3rd was just ridiculous

ya, i think that is spot on, we only played for 10-15 mins and got it back to 2-2 so that is a real positive. thing is, by then the game should have been over, but we did well to be level.

for the 3rd goal, im not sure anybody fell asleep though, it was just an unfortunate rebound off one of the lads which put your man in. all 3 goals should have been cleared, we need to work on this, they got in behind us 6 or 7 times and if they were more clinical, would have scored a few more so its something to work on.

their big striker caused us alot of problem, he set up all 3 goals and all of it was on the ground apart from the throw in. personally im disppointed with my positioning for the first goal, if i had of taken a step or two back when the attack was happening i may have got a hand to it, but these things happen. the other two were fairly straightforward for the lads who scored them, they couldnt miss really.
    Big shout out to Ed for organizing this, much appreciated and it was very well run, thanks guys.

ya it went very very well, 4 evenly matched teams and to be honest, all the games were of league level intensity, everybody wanted to win every game and didnt treat it as a friendly. will definately organise one before the summer league, will get work to sponsor some form of prize for it.

all 4 teams are in different leagues and would be hoping to finish top 3 at least

First week fixtures out, will text later

08-Oct 19:15 WES1 Cork Exiles FC Accenture
    08-Oct 19:15 WES2 Boxmasters Boardeaux
    08-Oct 20:15 WES1 123.ie.Fabulous Benedictine Monks
    08-Oct 20:15 WES2 EweTuppers FC Norfolk-In-Chance
    08-Oct 21:15 WES1 Kooventus Brown Bag Utd

Link to League stats

We are going to have a game in hand all season, our season will probably finish a week later than the rest of them.

Link to League stats

We are going to have a game in hand all season, our season will probably finish a week later than the rest of them.

theres always alot of cancellations during the winter....bound to be the odd walkover or game pushed back also as agree with both teams.

if they dont get a 10th team, then every team will have a week off, so next week another team will have a game in hand on the others.

looking at the scorers list i didnt know "Rob Lowe" plays football :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Is this not a winter weather thread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Nope, it's for the boards football team

Is this not a winter weather thread

Yeah, Baldy is the weather man

Just a quick update - it seems Boxmasters have not been replaced yet, and the other teams who've been down to play them have entered 3-0 walkovers for those games, so I've done the same - meaning we are now on 9 points.

that is subject to change, if Astro get another team into the division - I've emailed for an update from them.

So I'm presuming Boxmasters won't be replaced at all. So we'll have a free week in about 3 weeks maybe get a friendly organised?

Good idea though I'd imagine gettin a pitch and idle team will be tricky

mrDerek wrote: »
    Good idea though I'd imagine gettin a pitch and idle team will be tricky

the pitch will be free in Wesley for the fixture and i assume it would be free of charge also, just need to pay for the ref!

i could get my monday team to play us probably!

Sounds like a plan then would be a good idea to keep fresh.

CHAMPIONS!!!!

Some stats & figures for those interested

Full Fixtures & Results

297106.JPG

Won/Drawn/Lost

297107.JPG

League Position Graph

297108.JPG

Line-ups Each Game

297109.JPG