Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you market advertising?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I've recently started up a small, online video advertising partnership. We got lucky and acquired a big client almost immediately. However, we are finding it difficult to attract new clients since it is brands that we are looking for. We tried emailing companies that we thought would be interested but have heard nothing back.

Is there any procedure for getting directly in touch with a human in a marketing department?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I've recently started up a small, online video advertising partnership. We got lucky and acquired a big client almost immediately. However, we are finding it difficult to attract new clients since it is brands that we are looking for. We tried emailing companies that we thought would be interested but have heard nothing back.

Is there any procedure for getting directly in touch with a human in a marketing department?

Use the phone!!

Sales 101

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

Need more info really - what kind of video advertising partnership is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

LinkedIn is good for B2B - join industry groups and you might pick up leads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Good thread, pity it hasn't gathered more interest.

If you are looking for big clients then you need to know they mostly deal through agencies. Google Core media and Magna, OMD, there's loads.

I'd say it would be hard to get them to give you time, but you could try giving them a call.

I wouldn't rule out medium/smaller size companies.

I work as a senior manager in a company that facilities advertising. We deal with Agency and direct sales.

Re contacting companies direct, ask to talk to the marketing manager or the decision maker(s). Try and get a face to face meeting. Hopefully you can showcase your current client's advertising using your product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

You are probably best off trying to take the approach of 'show, don't tell'. If you can show your ideal user how this can help them and demonstrate its benefits, then this is probably preferable to trying to explain the benefits or why they should talk to you through random emails, which is pretty much just spam.

You'll have to think creatively and try to 'warm up' your prospects before directly approaching them. You can look to do this through avenues like LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. Try to figure out where your prospects hang out online, and what interests them. That's the starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Hey Shreddedloops,

First of all..

Whats your pitch like ?

If you were to walk into my office and sell your services to me, how would you do it?

What is that you're really selling? Are you selling video ads..or are you selling a chance to increase my bottom line and make my life easier, via video?

What makes you unique, why would I do business with you and not Joe Murphy Video ads down the road?

AB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

First of all, the amount of unsolicited email trying to sell stuff is unbelievable, so almost all is deleted without a glance.

as above, you need to hone your presentation, then see how you can transfer that into a brochure. Then if your product if of high enough value, spend time finding names of relevant people in the target organisations and send it to them - possibly look to add something unique - signarama send brochures to me every now and then and always include a Kitkat or time out bar. Tiny little extra, but nice and sort of corny & funny! - And yes it worked cos we have bought pull up signs from them and I look forward to the next brochure! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Check out Bill Glazers "Outrageous Advertising" book, or indeed anything by Dan Kennedy.

You'll be brimming with ideas after taking in anything by them guys, trust me.

Whether you have the bottle to carry out their style of advertising I can't say (most won't), but it works like gangbusters.

Advertisement