Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cover your couch

• 28-08-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

A new kitten owner here - How do you cover your couch to prevent getting it dirty and getting soiled by your cat in case of an accident?

Would flat bedsheets do or do I need throws (seeing that he is also scratching the couch sometimes)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I used throws on mine, and still do as I have a dog rather than the two cats I had before. Not much you can do about the scratching, I'm afraid.

Mine had catnip scratch pads, trees and and scratching post in the kitchen doorway. They also went out. And they still managed to wreck my 3 piece suite....:mad: They were cute though. They'd only scratch the back thinking I wouldn't notice! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Use throws here as well, having cats and dogs that find settees are more comfortable than their own beds - especially when I'm not here. Also, easy to throw in the washing machine when they get grubby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I do one of two things, when I'm fostering.

I line the seat of the couch with a picnic rug folded in half - the type that has fabric on one side, and waterproof plastic on the other. I put a rug or a throw over that.

Or, if I happen to have puppy pads, I spread them out over the seats and again put a throw or rug on top.

That way, if there is a naughty pee incident, it won't soak through the fabric of the couch, causing the filling to pong!

If the couch does get peed on, remove as much of the moisture as you can with kitchen towel. Urine-Off spray is great to eliminate the smell, or else a mix of white vinegar and warm water in a spray bottle. Just leave it to absorb and dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

Where do you get Urine-off spray? I'd assume from a petshop?

Also, I was wondering, if you used a small quantity of bio detergent diluted with lots of water to clean off the accidents, would that be harmful for the cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

JaneeMack wrote: »

Also, I was wondering, if you used a small quantity of bio detergent diluted with lots of water to clean off the accidents, would that be harmful for the cat?

I use the bio at the same rate as I would for normal washing - never caused any problems.

• Advertisement

Ah brill - thanks :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

cats would rarely have an accident on furniture unless sick. They tend to find a corner and use that same spot over and over again. Best job is to put a litter tray and then slowly move it over time to where you want it. I find adult cats usually extremely clean but toms will spray unless neutered and that stinks.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Not in my experience with kittens, yellowlab!

No more than with puppies, it's a learning curve for them. They can and do have occasional accidents outside the litter tray - especially if the litter tray is in a room at the far end of the house and they are caught short! I had one repeat offender here until I realised he wasn't happy to poop *and* pee in the one tray (even though the litter tray was kept spotless) and would pee on the couch instead! Provided two trays, problem solved.

You can get Urine-Off online, at some vets and at some petshops.

Just an update on this - It took him about 10 days to cop on but now he's litter trained and he seldom (he had two accidents since then) makes a mistake.

I got double flat sheets from Penneys and covered the couch - wash them every week. I don't put throws on the couch but I have an old dressing gown and a fleece blanket and he loves them! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Just an update on this - It took him about 10 days to cop on but now he's litter trained and he seldom (he had two accidents since then) makes a mistake.

I got double flat sheets from Penneys and covered the couch - wash them every week. I don't put throws on the couch but I have an old dressing gown and a fleece blanket and he loves them! :-)

They do love dressing gowns and fleece blankets:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I used to fight mine for my dressing gowns! :D Now that the cats have gone, it's the dog now. If I leave the gown down for 30 seconds, the dog's straight on it. Think it's to get the scent.

Yeah Probably! My cat licks and sucks on the dressing gown and the fleece blanket and he falls asleep on them too. :-) Sooooo cute!!

Advertisement