Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Center to Blanchardstown - Rental Advice

Options
  • 28-08-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm moving up to Dublin pretty soon and will be working near Ballycoolin. Have a good few friends moving up as well but most will be working in the City Center near Spencer Dock or Grand Canal Dock.

Ideally I'd like to live with a few people I know and be in and around the City, but I was just wondering how awkward it would be to get out to Blanchardstown and Ballycoolin area every day for work?

I'm inclined to look at places around IFSC and Smithfield so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Knex. wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm moving up to Dublin pretty soon and will be working near Ballycoolin. Have a good few friends moving up as well but most will be working in the City Center near Spencer Dock or Grand Canal Dock.

Ideally I'd like to live with a few people I know and be in and around the City, but I was just wondering how awkward it would be to get out to Blanchardstown and Ballycoolin area every day for work?

I'm inclined to look at places around IFSC and Smithfield so any help would be greatly appreciated.

From the ifsc you could get the train from Connolly or Docklands to Castleknock and either walk (about 30 mins) or get a 38/38a from Blanchardstown village towards Ballycoolin. Alternatively you could get those buses from O'Connell street all the way out. The other option is to get a 39/39a from Stoneybatter bedside Smithfield to the Navan road and changing on to a 38/a from there

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

athtrasna wrote: »
    From the ifsc you could get the train from Connolly or Docklands to Castleknock and either walk (about 30 mins) or get a 38/38a from Blanchardstown village towards Ballycoolin. Alternatively you could get those buses from O'Connell street all the way out. The other option is to get a 39/39a from Stoneybatter bedside Smithfield to the Navan road and changing on to a 38/a from there

Appreciate the detailed response.

I presume all the above options would take around an hour or so in commuting? Not something I'm against, by any means, just would like to be prepared for traffic delays etc.

Thanks for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Knex. wrote: »
    Appreciate the detailed response.

I presume all the above options would take around an hour or so in commuting? Not something I'm against, by any means, just would like to be prepared for traffic delays etc.

Thanks for your help :)

The problem with the buses outbound is that there's no bus lane on the Navan Road outbound until after the Ashtown roundabout so there can be delays, more in the evenings than the mornings. I think an hour would be pretty spot on to make the journey consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

Commuting city centre - Ballycoolin would be faster on Dublin Bus 40D or on one of the private buses (Paypal have their own, Expressbus goes to IBM and so on). The 38/38a is very slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

40D is the most direct, it goes straight into the Ballycoolin estate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Where are you working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

gurramok wrote: »
    40D is the most direct, it goes straight into the Ballycoolin estate.

It's probably quicker too, with a bus lane pretty much all the way to Finglas Village, from there it's about a 15 minute journey to Ballycoolin.

Beware though, it's not a very regular service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Beware though, it's not a very regular service.

Every 15 minutes during morning and evening rush hours, every half hour otherwise. That's regular enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses. Makes me a fair bit more comfortable now about moving to City Center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Every 15 minutes during morning and evening rush hours, every half hour otherwise. That's regular enough.

Is when it's scheduled, the 40s, and especially the lettered ones, are absolutely notorious for making up their own timetable and routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

I use the 38 A to blanch every day, takes exactly 20 minutes from Phibsboro to Snugboro Road. Just dont take the 38 as it goes through Castleknock adding a lot of time to the journey

Advertisement