Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Write from test machine to external networked HD?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

I have a problem here at work where we have 3 pretty old test machines running a locked down version of Windows XP. Every day these test machines generate a number of data files and store them on the local C: drive. The only way we can get them off is to attach a USB stick manually, copy across the data and transfer them onto a laptop for analysis.

I need to a way to attach the test machines to the network indirectly. The main issue lies in the fact that even though the test machines have an ethernet port, we can't attach them to the work network as we can't install the required anti-virus software (causes the test machines to crash).

I was thinking some form of NAS or even a simple networked USB drive could be used, where we could write a batch file to send the data from the local C: drive to an external HD, which then could be networked and accessed remotely.

Can anyone recommend a suitable device? We need something running Windows Server or some other OS that can run anti-virus software.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Why don't you just assign fixed IP addresses to the three machines and block external access to them on your firewall. thus dispensing with the need for AV.

As an aside AV does not give you 100% protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I have a problem here at work where we have 3 pretty old test machines running a locked down version of Windows XP. Every day these test machines generate a number of data files and store them on the local C: drive. The only way we can get them off is to attach a USB stick manually, copy across the data and transfer them onto a laptop for analysis.

I need to a way to attach the test machines to the network indirectly. The main issue lies in the fact that even though the test machines have an ethernet port, we can't attach them to the work network as we can't install the required anti-virus software (causes the test machines to crash).

I was thinking some form of NAS or even a simple networked USB drive could be used, where we could write a batch file to send the data from the local C: drive to an external HD, which then could be networked and accessed remotely.

Can anyone recommend a suitable device? We need something running Windows Server or some other OS that can run anti-virus software.

Use the network, put the test machines in a secure vlan or behind a firewall. Any decent network admin should be able to sort that out :)

Advertisement