Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniskerry to Prince William's Seat?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭

Quick one, can you walk from Enniskerry village up along by the river (through the forest) Glencullen river I believe its called, and up on to Prince Williams seat?

the plan was then to walk back to Marley Park using the Wicklow way

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

There's a trail marked on the Open Cycle map. I have never been on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Yes - check out the route in the link below. I have not done this route in about two years, and I've only ever done it coming from Ballinteer to Enniskerry. Also i'm not sure how to get to Prince williams seat when you exit Knocksink woods onto the Bridge road. The route was a bit perilous last time I did it - might be much improved now.

http://www.walkingroutes.ie/1027-knocksink-woods.html

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

David Herman's Hill Walker's Wicklow describes a route from Enniskerry to Prince William's Seat. It follows the route though Knocksink Woods as described by Dogmatix in the link he provided. You exit Knocksink onto the road about 1km south of Glencullen then turn left and after a few minutes walking there is a narrow boreen to your right. You go up this past two farms until you reach a fork. Turn left and follow the path until you get to Annacrivey Woods. There is a route up through the woods to Raven's Rock and thence to the Wicklow Way and PW's Seat. The EastWest map that covers this area shows the route well.

Two points to note:

- I have no idea if access is allowed using this route. The one and only time I did it, I had to climb over two gates. Herman tends to be fast and loose over access issues so the fact that it's described as a route in one of his books is no indication that you mightn't run into problems. That said, this way does seem to be used by pony trekkers.

- As Dogmatix has said, the trail though Knocksink is rather hazardous in places. Last time I was through there, I wound up sliding about 20 feet downhill on my arse. Be careful!

Edited to add: you know, if this route was developed as an official mountain access path it would be a great boon for walkers on the Wicklow Way and for tourists visiting Enniskerry who would like to get into the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Hi.
    The previous responder " Judge " describes the rout quite well . I have walked it on several occasions and there has been no problems with access . The walk up through Knocksink wood is really beautiful if a little demanding in places .

A nice two car option for this rout is

Park one car a johnny Foxes.
    Continue to Enniskerry in second car. ( You then of course have to drop into Poppys for coffee and rhubarb crumble )
    Walk the rout through the woods as far as Wicklow way
    Turn right on WW and walk down to road where yoy turn right again for one mile road walk to foxes.

Enjoy.
    Blackvalley.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does anyone have a decent link for Judges route there please? Im trying to figure out where he's on about on google Maps but a search for Annacrivey Woods just brings you back to this thread. How do you know when to exit Knocksink woods or is there a trail out onto the Bridge road? How do you know which boreen is the right one basically, any Google Maps links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

To be honest, Google Maps is pretty useless for trying to follow a route like this. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's pretty easy to follow the route as described above on the relevant E-W Mapping map.

Is Annacrivey Woods marked on any map?

Thargor wrote: »
    Is Annacrivey Woods marked on any map?
    Yes, (beats drum again!) on the E-W Mapping maps that cover that area, e.g. the Dublin & North Wicklow Mountains one at Grid Ref. O 194 178.

Annacrivey is also marked on Google Maps and the OSi Map Viewer.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1992404,-6.2133041,15z?hl=en

Annacrivey Woods is the green area north of where it says Annacrivey.

Thanks, the problem with the EastWest maps is the same as Judges description, there will always be 20+ different boreens to choose from when you get there. Im hoping I could get it marked on the satellite view.

When you come out of the end of Knocksink Woods onto the Bridge Road turn left and after about 400m it's on the right. There is only one turn off. Just house entrances before that.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.208031,-6.2068361,316m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

• Advertisement

Ah yeah that's perfect, Im going to give it a go when the weather improves, thanks for that.

Does anyone know if there's much of a trail from Anicreevy woods to Ravens Rock or are you pushing through bush? Is it obvious where to go when you walk up that farm path to Anicreevy woods?

Advertisement