Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the wasps start to leave ???

• 28-08-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Heane

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone knows when the wasps will start to leave? I can't take a piss without one flying on top of me, never got stung before and don't want to either.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AndrzejL

I hear that they will start dieing soon enough (couple of weeks) when the weather gets slightly colder. They will be very aggressive during that period so hang on...

I never got stung but I got myself a tube of Anthisan cream in local pharmacy just in case. I am hoping that I am not allergic to their venom...

Cheers.

Andrzej

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

They are very aggressive now! I got stung 3 times by one yesterday:( The pain of it was unreal.Luckily I had a wasp spray for stings that gave me some relief but my hand swelled up like a balloon.
    I can't leave the dogs outside either as I'm afraid they will get stung.My Sisters dog got a nasty sting in the mouth from the little feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

got stung whilst driving the other day. finger looks like a nope picture now.anyone I see shall be killed on site

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

My fookin garden is full of them. They come into my Kitchen in 2 s and I am like a maniac with a rolled up magazine.
    I trash about at any thing that moves . There is flattened wasps over all my windows.

Got stung in back of my head and had a golf ball sized lump fot weeks, it felt like being stabbed with a hot needle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭racso1975

Same here never remember them being so bad!!!! 5 yr od son and me got stung today it is savage out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

but we cant use chemicals because its inhumame......wait a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

When you get stung how long does the pain last for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Same here, they are driving me nuts. Can't have any doors or windows open, cats are protesting as they love an open door policy in this house. Was stung on the toe last week, damn painful. Was around the side of the house and I am sure I must have looked like a nutter trying to get to the front, like I was rain dancing. Have ordered a couple of waspinators but they won't be here till next week, ordered them on Monday and still not here. At least I will have it for next year, and whether it works I have no idea but willing to give anything a go. They seem to be more aggressive this year.
    When you get stung how long does the pain last for?

For me, for a few hours (4/5) it is quite bad, then eases off a bit, and that is dosing it with Doctor Burts regularly. Went to bed with a bandage on my toe made from tissue paper with a big blob of Dr Burts. Still soar the next day tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Just google "wasp trap".

I made a few of the ones with a 2 ltr bottle.

They work really well. Plaster the inside with a bit of jam every day or so.

I got rid of mine a few days back but I might make another if they come back in numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Got stung myself but am glad to see the Wasp population recover after the last few shíte summers, It wasn't long ago in July lots of us were wondering where they were, But they tricked us all by waiting till August to swarm the place, They come into my kitchen at night too they love the cooker light...

• Advertisement

disco1 wrote: »
    My fookin garden is full of them. They come into my Kitchen in 2 s and I am like a maniac with a rolled up magazine.
    I have found a way (I think it works but there is no warranty) to keep MOST of them out of the room / kitchen. Take a onion. Cut it in half. Take dried cloves. Pin them into the onion (from the flat / freshly cut side) so it looks like a weird hedgehog. Put the onion (cloves side up) in a small plastic bowl / container / plate / whatever floats your boat. Place the container on the windowsill. Now You can open the window leave the window open (not wide open but you know 2 - 3 inches gap just to keep the house ventilated). To keep onion from drying out pour tiny bit of water into the container. I don't think the wasps like the smell. Before I had several of them flying in as soon as the window was opened. Today I had 2 during the entire day. The smell is kinda funky indeed but its not obtrusive in my honest opinion. Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Andrzej

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

We have a wasps' nest at the front of the house. It's under the plastic lining just under the roof. They're driving us mad. They've found a very small gap above the downstairs bathroom window and we've literally clean up over a hundred of them every day. Using a spray and wasp trap to keep it under control. The wasp trap isn't much use.

I read up about dealing with the nest and the advice is to leave well enough alone. I can't see it so don't know exactly where it is, but hoping that the problem will sort itself in a couple of weeks when it gets cooler.

We seem to be having a wasp plague this year for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Tropheus wrote: »
    We have a wasps' nest at the front of the house. It's under the plastic lining just under the roof. They're driving us mad. They've found a very small gap above the downstairs bathroom window and we've literally clean up over a hundred of them every day. Using a spray and wasp trap to keep it under control. The wasp trap isn't much use.

I read up about dealing with the nest and the advice is to leave well enough alone. I can't see it so don't know exactly where it is, but hoping that the problem will sort itself in a couple of weeks when it gets cooler.

We seem to be having a wasp plague this year for some reason.

I know, there seem to be hundreds of them around wherever you go. You are best to leave well alone as they are particularly aggressive at this time of year. There was a tip on here earlier to stick cloves in a half cut onion and place it near the gap. TBH anything is worth a try to avoid this little beggers. If that was my house I would be keeping that room out of bounds till they were gone. Hate them, absolutely hate them but they seem to love me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Am I the only one that really doesn't mind wasps at all? I've hundreds of them in the back garden, they seem to LOVE my dog's raw chicken, but I think they're pretty harmless, by and large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No, they don't bother me at all, I just ignore them and they ignore me. My wife, on the other hand, waves her arms around like a demented whirling dervish whenever they get anywhere near her and then wonders why they seem attracted to her.

The wasp trap isn't much use.

It seems to be working for this guy. He used Polish beer Zywiec (but I would say any beer would do) as attractant. He not only has wasp problem. Look at those HUGE hornets that got trapped in the bottle...

Cheers.

Andrzej

brrabus wrote: »
    If that was my house I would be keeping that room out of bounds till they were gone.

That's exactly what we're doing. We're keeping the door locked and spraying once in the morning and once in the afternoon. They the big clean up in the evening.

It just goes to show how many of them are in one nest. It has to be in the thousands.

AndrzejL wrote: »
    It seems to be working for this guy. He used Polish beer Zywiec (but I would say any beer would do) as attractant. He not only has wasp problem. Look at those HUGE hornets that got trapped in the bottle...

You wouldn't see anyone in Ireland wasting good beer like that:D

You wouldn't see anyone in Ireland wasting good beer like that:D

Hahaha ;)... Waste a bad beer then like budweiser or some other watered down brew.

Cheers.

Andrzej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was horrified to find hornets all over the cat food I'd put down for Summer(now known as Pepper). I made a bee trap and there isn't a single bee/hornet in it. I've to go down twice a day and feed her now to make sure she gets to eat. She can't get any when they're on it.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

That's exactly what we're doing. We're keeping the door locked and spraying once in the morning and once in the afternoon. They the big clean up in the evening.

It just goes to show how many of them are in one nest. It has to be in the thousands.

Would you not just get an exterminator to sort them all at once? We had to get one when they kept coming back to live in our kitchen roof. Our neighbours had them coming up out of their bathroom floor one year! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think they'll all be gone when my dog has finished eating them all : (

..got stung on her paw, between her toes, on her nose & still tries to eat them... After all of that she still ate one & had a lump the size if a tennis ball hanging from the side of her mouth. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw it but she STILL wants to chase & eat & stomp on them. Aaaah !!!! Dogs!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

My nerves are shot with all the wasps around. Ate lunch outside today and between shooing the wasps away from me and the dog I am wrecked. My Jack Russell who adores eating flies is going bananas that I am stopping her from snapping at and eating the wasps. The sooner they are gone the happier I will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Slowly, over the years, my fear for wasps have gotten worse and worse. I was stung once, when I was 9 years old, in the neck. Running in a playground and from what I could gather at the time (my teacher insisted I must have provoked it) I ran straight into a flying wasp, who freaked out and started ramming its arse-dagger of doom straight into my neck. I wasn't allergic, but there was a bit of swelling that made it difficult for me to breath, and I have been over-cautious ever since. I can't even remember what it feels like, I've probably completely over-dramatised it in my head. But one of them so much as looks at me crooked, I'll run for the hills.

Everyone knows that wasps sting whoever they want, whenever they want :p

tk123 wrote: »
    Would you not just get an exterminator to sort them all at once? We had to get one when they kept coming back to live in our kitchen roof. Our neighbours had them coming up out of their bathroom floor one year! :eek:

If it doesn't sort itself shortly, we'll have to do that. Not sure who they'll get at the nest though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    arse-dagger of doom

Brilliant! :P

I got stung as well a lot actually, first time I stood on one barefoot. Not pleasant. Second time there was one flying around my face and it got caught in the back swing of me shooing it away, it stung me 3 times around my eye, couldn't see out of that eye for a few days! And 2 weeks ago there was one on my arm, I didn't notice and I folded my arms and it got me right on the boob! More funny than painful! They are horrible creatures, dude got stung but still hasn't learned the difference between which bugs sting and which don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

SIk05.png
    The anatomy of all wasps. For those who want to study them at a more scientific level.

Picture of wasp totally to scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

why do we hate wasps so much (come on the sting isnt THAT bad!!) - they make a HUGE contribution to the planet - they are fantastic at pest-control and some of them pollinate too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Haven't seen one wasp in the north west this year. Was in stradbally for the weekend and couldn't believe how many of the beggars there was. I presume its to do with our more atlantic climate up here. I'd trade a bit of our rain for a few wasps any day.

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    why do we hate wasps so much (come on the sting isnt THAT bad!!) - they make a HUGE contribution to the planet - they are fantastic at pest-control and some of them pollinate too.

It is that bad and they're nasty vicious fcukers
    They can contribute all they like AWAY from me

Advertisement