Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stair gate problem

Options
  • 28-08-2013 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all .
    Got a stairgate( pressure mounted) which works fine ( extension was needed) but the prpblem is that the banister post to which its attached is on the 2nd step which means that the 1st step is accessible for our 1yo.
    Has anyone got a solution as to how i could close off the bottom step ,
    Are there 'corners' i can get to close it off completely ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What's wrong with letting her access one step?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

cjmc wrote: »
    Hi all .
    Got a stairgate( pressure mounted) which works fine ( extension was needed) but the prpblem is that the banister post to which its attached is on the 2nd step which means that the 1st step is accessible for our 1yo.
    Has anyone got a solution as to how i could close off the bottom step ,
    Are there 'corners' i can get to close it off completely ?

We are the same but my 18 month old uses that step as a seat now and practices going up and down also - it's good to have one accessible so they can learn without being at risk of falling to far!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dublinlady wrote: »
    We are the same but my 18 month old uses that step as a seat now and practices going up and down also - it's good to have one accessible so they can learn without being at risk of falling to far!
    ditto to this, we have exactly the same set up on our stairs. if you're concerned about them falling if you have a hard floor, buy some of the big foam floor files in smyths to have at the bottom of the stairs in case of falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

pwurple wrote: »
    What's wrong with letting her access one step?

Problem is he stands on step pulling the gate. His grip has gone and he fell back a few times while i was there to catch him. Would be a fairly hard fall but not much i can do i suppose but put the foam tiles down. Thanks all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

cjmc wrote: »
    Problem is he stands on step pulling the gate. His grip has gone and he fell back a few times while i was there to catch him. Would be a fairly hard fall but not much i can do i suppose but put the foam tiles down. Thanks all

Exact same as our situation. We just put jigsaw mats down. Maybe 2 layers if you're worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i also think it's important to give them a single step to fall from (onto the jigsaw mats) in a safe environment where they can't hurt themselves so they learn to associate the stairs with the danger of falling without causing being able to cause themselves any serious injury.

Advertisement