Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Concrete for Shed Base

• 28-08-2013 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey,

Anyone know anywhere near D24 where I can buy dry concrete to use as a base for a shed?

My Dad will be putting it down and would prefer to mix it himself rather than have it delivered mixed.

Thanks,
    Rorobobo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Just go to a Builders providers and buy bags of sand/gravel mix and cement. Mix in the ratio of about 4-1

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

You should be able to get dry concrete mix in most builders providers, available in 25 kg bags or loose, can work out expensive in the bags so better to get a trailer and take as much as you need.
    Thinking of getting a new shed myself but will probably go for a ecogrid type tile under the shed. Less work involved in laying it and possible to move it if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There is really no essential reason to install a concrete base for a timber garden shed. Most shed vendors supply and install timber sheds on concrete blocks, which in my opinion isn't very satisfactory because often the timbers used underneath are not pressure treated and blocks will in damp condition absorb any local moisture which can potentially cause and often does damage (rot) to the shed.

A very cost effective precaution to ensure a dry and stable base is to install the shed on a compacted base (50-75mm) of 804/Hardcore.

A hardcore base is much easier than concrete or grid to install, costing a great deal less and provides an equally good base solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rorobobo

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a trailer and I will be hoping to fill this rather than get bags so it would be more cost effective.

Do builder providers only provide it in bags?

The reason I am putting down a concrete base is because I am putting up a metal shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

There is really no essential reason to install a concrete base for a timber garden shed. Most shed vendors supply and install timber sheds on concrete blocks, which in my opinion isn't very satisfactory because often the timbers used underneath are not pressure treated and blocks will in damp condition absorb any local moisture which can potentially cause and often does damage (rot) to the shed.

A very cost effective precaution to ensure a dry and stable base is to install the shed on a compacted base (50-75mm) of 804/Hardcore.

A hardcore base is much easier than concrete or grid to install, costing a great deal less and provides an equally good base solution.

Sorry to hijack but I can’t really find an answer anywhere on this fountain of knowledge that is Boards.ie!!

Is it necessary to lay some kind of plastic sheet under the hardcore to stop weeds/grass etc coming up?

I plan to dig out an area (remove the grass layer and maybe an inch or 2 of soil) and then I want to put down a wooden shed. I was going to put down some hardcore and then maybe ½ ton of decorative stone on top of that to make it look ok.
    I can use the dug out soil in another area of the garden that’s a bit uneven at present so it would help. The area I am digging edges on to a footpath around the side of the house and then on to the boundary wall (in a right angle triangle shape!). Maybe I should lay some treated 2x4 or something to create a boarder for the hardcore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

tui0hcg, I would put the a timber shed on blocks as the ventilation of the floor/base timbers is very important as it helps prevent rot in a timber shed. A good timber shed, can last 20+ years on blocks.

A stone base would be a good idea as it will quickly drain water away from the base. The is no need for a weed control membrane in under the shed as weeds won't grow in the dark.

A conc base is recommended for metal sheds as they usually don't have a floor supplied. So the walls are screwed down into the conc.

RKQ wrote: »
    tui0hcg, I would put the a timber shed on blocks as the ventilation of the floor/base timbers is very important as it helps prevent rot in a timber shed. A good timber shed, can last 20+ years on blocks.

A stone base would be a good idea as it will quickly drain water away from the base. The is no need for a weed control membrane in under the shed as weeds won't grow in the dark.

A conc base is recommended for metal sheds as they usually don't have a floor supplied. So the walls are screwed down into the conc.

Thanks RKQ
    Yes I had planned to put the shed up on blocks also to let it have some ventilation. However the hardcore etc will be not only under the shed but in a small area behind and to the side of the shed too. Would you think I need a weed control membrane in that area as it will get light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

tui0hcg wrote: »
    . Would you think I need a weed control membrane in that area as it will get light.

It depends on the area size really. Might be worth putting down some membrane if you have it, let it 300mm under shed sides, to prevent weeds at edge of shed.

RKQ wrote: »
    It depends on the area size really. Might be worth putting down some membrane if you have it, let it 300mm under shed sides, to prevent weeds at edge of shed.

area is about 15 sq meters in a triangle shape
    shed I am installing is 10ft x 6ft
    maybe its best to just put membrane down over the whole area and cover it all in hardcore. Then the area that is not covered by shed I will probable put a few stepping stones and some decorative stones/pebbles etc to make it look a bit better.
    Also two sides of the triangle are edged by footpath/block wall. The other side is in to the garden – do you think I should edge that with some treated 2x4 or something like that?

Advertisement