Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEG Wiring

Options
  • 28-08-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi, i recently bought a King Arms M4A1. The gun is good quality but the hop up broke during shipping (the rubber seal part ripped). I've replaced the hop unit but by doing so i had to cut the wires going to the battery in the handgaurd. My question/problem is: By soldering it with a tin solder will the resistance of the solder effect the power capabilities. (i understand the technalities of the electronics, so any advice would be appreciated)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

nzylo wrote: »
    Hi, i recently bought a King Arms M4A1. The gun is good quality but the hop up broke during shipping (the rubber seal part ripped). I've replaced the hop unit but by doing so i had to cut the wires going to the battery in the handgaurd. My question/problem is: By soldering it with a tin solder will the resistance of the solder effect the power capabilities. (i understand the technalities of the electronics, so any advice would be appreciated)

Solder will do fine. Just make sure to put some heat shrink over it and it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

It would be best if you fitted a set of mini spade connectors as fitted as standard to many AEGs so that should ever need to remove the front end again you can disconnect them and save you having to get the soldering iron out

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭nzylo

Any idea where they would be availible and price? (like are they common to find in hardware stores and are they mad expensive/cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

nzylo wrote: »
    Any idea where they would be availible and price? (like are they common to find in hardware stores and are they mad expensive/cheap)

I get them in Maplin they cost about €3 for a pack of 10
    You will need both Male and Female you can also get heat shrink insulation there in a variety of sizes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

U could also try your local motor factors for them and the heat shrink.The last place i worked had a car accessories section and all that was in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

As Deburca has suggested putting connectors on will allow for easy takedown in the future.
    Rather than spade connectors you could try gold bullet connectors. Slightly more expensive but I find them to last a lot longer than the spades.

Nothing wrong with either just personal preference:)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/10-x-PAIR-Of-RC-2mm-Gold-Bullet-Connector-INC-Heat-Shrink-For-Motor-Plane-ESC-UK-/330953712677?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4d0e60e425#ht_2890wt_1328

So I've just bought some spade connectors. I'll put up some pics of the wires before and after when i do it. thanks everyone for the advice.

well, i tried using mini spade connectors, but i figured i might find it easier to leave them out and use a straight solder method. so i just soldered the wires together and used electrical tape to cover the solder areas (heatshrink wouldnt go over them because the join are was slightly too big) i'll post pics in a while.

Advertisement