Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step closer to local weather control?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭

An interesting article in the Independent today on current research by
    biophotonics experts at the University of Geneva into using ultra-short lasers to purposefully control local weather
    Their experiments have shown that intense pulses of light can cause ice to form and water to condense, leading to the formation of clouds......

....Researchers have also proved that lightning can be triggered and channeled through the air using laser pulses.
    While results obtained in a laboratory setting and from small-scale atmospheric tests are a far cry from actually being able to trigger rain or control lightning on a real scale, its a fascinating and controversial area of research nonetheless.

There's a more detailed paper on the concept here 'Laser-based Weather Control'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

I found somthing like that before ,it was called harrps or somthing like that.

I was then pointed towards the conspiracy forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Lumi wrote: »
    An interesting article in the Independent today on current research by
    biophotonics experts at the University of Geneva into using ultra-short lasers to purposefully control local weather

While results obtained in a laboratory setting and from small-scale atmospheric tests are a far cry from actually being able to trigger rain or control lightning on a real scale, its a fascinating and controversial area of research nonetheless.

There's a more detailed paper on the concept here 'Laser-based Weather Control'

Interesting alright but I'm of the opinion it should be left well alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

rhonin wrote: »
    Interesting alright but I'm of the opinion it should be left well alone.

True that.
    Tampering with weather and human life to suit ourselves.

Leave nature to do what it does best even though we are effecting it through pollution etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Bejubby wrote: »
    I found somthing like that before ,it was called harrps or somthing like that.

I was then pointed towards the conspiracy forum.

You mean the HAARP Project (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) which operates out of a military research facility in Alaska ?

Totally different avenue of research which has no potential to affect weather.

That hasn't stopped conspiracy theorists blaming it for natural disasters ie earthquakes, floods, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes etc etc etc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Saw thread title and thought this was related to your new found (congrats, btw) status i.e. "now I'm a mod I'm one step closer...." :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Lumi wrote: »
    You mean the HAARP Project (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) which operates out of a military research facility in Alaska ?:pac:

Anything that interferes with the atmosphere, increases or reduces pressure or actively adds particles [seeding, smoke, pollution, vibration] or removes particles will have an effect on weather.

Back in the Forties some believed the Imperial Japanese created or enhanced typhoons to sink the US Navy. We now know too that some of the conspiracy theories as in seeding has been admitted to, but we don't know the results.

Weather is an engine that self feeds itself, there is probably only so much weather potential so if one makes it rain in one spot it may deprive another from rain altogether and unpredictably so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I'm in the leave weather alone camp too.

The first reason for life on the planet is the magnetic fields, radio waves making a protective bubble from the Sun's rays.

The next is weather.

Advertisement