Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 Metre pool for lane swimming?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

To those who know better than I, I guess the title says it all.
    Is an 18 metre pool long enough for lane swimming for tri training or would this length just get too frustrating.
    Would it be a deal breaker for joining one gym over another with a 25 metre pool?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

To those who know better than I, I guess the title says it all.
    Is an 18 metre pool long enough for lane swimming for tri training or would this length just get too frustrating.
    Would it be a deal breaker for joining one gym over another with a 25 metre pool?

Thanks

SO you have an option of two gyms. One with an 18m pool and one with a 25m pool, right?

All else being equal then 25m pool defo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Even if yearly membership was a couple of €00 extra, go with the 25m pool. I swam for a week in an 18m pool before, you're kicking off the wall as much as swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

My first year of swimming was in an 18m pool, really no comparison with a 25m pool to be honest. Though you can pull off fantastic 400m TTs from all the wall kicks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Things aren't equal, Mrs Whacker prefers the gym with 18 metre.
    Its also a lot more convenient to access and is relatively new and shiny, with a whole urban chic thang going on, so it does have somethings going for it.
    However it comes across as more of a leisure gym. When I went in for a peek it had a few iron pumpers and beautiful people, pool empty, a bit quiet tbh...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A lot of leisure pools are very warm, whereas 'swimmers' pools are kept cooler, in my experience. Something else to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That's true. I used to swim in one in the IFSC because there was a discount from my old job. Even at my sedate pace it felt like swimming in soup, albeit a watery soup.

Advertisement