Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to running- Gait analysis?

• 28-08-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Used to do a good bit of running years ago, then came drinking and enjoying myself and then kids in my 30's.

Anyway an 3t I'm currently about as health as a pound of butter and I'm looking to get back into it, lots of people have told me to get a gait analysis done before buying runners.

Is it really necessary? Does it add to the cost? I cant afford to spend massive money.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 pico84

Ya 100% worth it.
    First of all anyway any of the shops I know do it for free so cost wise its nothing extra.
    You only need to do it once as well and you'll know what runner you need for ever more (can go on line and buy then on the cheap)
    Also if if go down the road of just picking a random pair of runners off a shelf your increasing your chances of getting injuries which will cost ya a fortune in physios etc.

In the long run basically it costs nothing extra so you might aswell do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Agree with Pico. I was a sucker for a bargain , namely €120 runners down to €60 etc in regular sports shops. Caused injury and €50 a pop for three or four physio visits = false economy. I went to Kevin in Amphibian King Ballymount and he a expert and very experience runner. Recommend. Also better than some of the half interested kids serving you inthe big chain shops. Plus as said you pay out about €120 for runners plus analysis for free but you get the proper ones for you and then you can shop around after that. Basically you get what you pay for I believe when it comes to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

I dunno, I've been running for a longish time, I coach running and track & field, I've been an athletics club secretary for five years and regularly have a beer with running mates. I can't remember a single time the topic of gait analysis has come up. I don't know anybody that's had it done. No proliferation of injuries have ever occurred.

Not disagreeing with those that think different but that's been my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Sasso wrote: »
    Agree with Pico. I was a sucker for a bargain , namely €120 runners down to €60 etc in regular sports shops. Caused injury and €50 a pop for three or four physio visits = false economy. I went to Kevin in Amphibian King Ballymount and he a expert and very experience runner. Recommend. Also better than some of the half interested kids serving you inthe big chain shops. Plus as said you pay out about €120 for runners plus analysis for free but you get the proper ones for you and then you can shop around after that. Basically you get what you pay for I believe when it comes to this.

(shamless plug)
    Firstly thanks for the kind words,I am now running my own Amphibian King wit a friend of mine(Ashtown/Phoenix Park) store and anyone is more than welcome to come down for any advise.Ask for Kevin or Mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

(shamless plug)
    Firstly thanks for the kind words,I am now running my own Amphibian King wit a friend of mine(Ashtown/Phoenix Park) store and anyone is more than welcome to come down for any advise.Ask for Kevin or Mark.

Where abouts are you situated ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They're on the same block as Superquinn, the corner at the opposite end of the train station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I really recommend getting your gait analysised, it only takes 20 minutes and is normally free if you buy trainers there. There are so many different types of trainers, it can be mind boggling trying to chose a pair. If you get your gait analysed and find out you're a neutral, over or under pronator, that immediately narrows the type of trainer you chose so less likely to pick a pair that don't suit. Before I got my gait analysed, I bought two pairs of trainers that cost approx €120 each, both good makes, both highly recommended, both killed my legs and I couldn't wear them! So that's €240 down the drain right there.

I now stick with the one type of shoe (and sometimes pick them up in sales online) Definitely worth that initial investment of going to a decent running shop where they know what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

660m from the Ashtown gates at the Phoenix Park.Straight through the roundabout with the halfway house on your right hand side,over the train line and last store on the left 3 doors down from Superquinn.
    Open late night Thur & Fri till 8pm.

https://www.facebook.com/AmphibianKingPhoenixPark?ref=hl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

660m from the Ashtown gates at the Phoenix Park.Straight through the roundabout with the halfway house on your right hand side,over the train line and last store on the left 3 doors down from Superquinn.
    Open late night Thur & Fri till 8pm.

https://www.facebook.com/AmphibianKingPhoenixPark?ref=hl

Myself and the girlfriend are looking to come up to you tomorrow Kev to get fitted, what's the special password for the boards discount!!??? :pac:

Advertisement