Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Shoe Connundrum

Options
  • 28-08-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Very simple problem but I'm having trouble solving it! I am looking for a running shoe that will give arch support but without a large heel. Any ideas? Any show I see with arch support seems to have an inch of rubber on the heel.

Currently I run with Asics Hyperspeed which are totally neutral, very light, no heel and I stick in a Langer insole with some arch support but I want more support. Any shoe specifically designed or this or should I just keep using the neutrals and maybe get custom orthotics?

For background I am a distance runner, run two or three marathons a year, have had trouble with knee (ITB) and pretty sure it is down to very flat feet.

Thanks!
    Gumby.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thread moved to Athletics/Running

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

If your having trouble with your ITB it's likely down to the fact that you have weak glutes. build up the strength here and your core and you shouldnt have any more issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gumbyman2000

Thanks Rogue. I've been working on the glutes with some strengthening exercises and am thinking now about getting cracking into some pilates for the core.

Pretty sure that the overpronation is a factor too though. I see myself in photos and the inside ankles are close to the ground and exacerbating the issue. Probably best to tackle on all fronts (unless is there a chance that the insoles lessen the workload of the glutes and make them weaker?)

BYW thanks Oryx for the move - didn't know about this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Gumby there are plenty of shoes that guide overpronation without having to resort to using insoles.

If you are looking for a low profile shoe AND minimal shoe (which your Hyperspeed are) you will struggle to find medial support in something that flat.

Two shoes which are equally low heel to toe drop (4mm) and are mildly supportive are Saucony Mirage and Brooks PureCadence. The PureCadence will have a higher arch form in the shoe but this is more from a comfort point of view that strictly 'arch support'.

Bearing in mind the arches of the feet are designed to move and flex, immobilising them is not the best thing to do in terms of overall biomechanics.

Thanks Amphkingwest. Are insoles really that bad? I like the hyperspeeds. Would I be better off staying with them and getting better (more supportive) insoles or moving to another neutral shoe with moderate in-built support?

I agree about the biomechanics but I think the flat footedness is even worse as it throws my whole alignment way off.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Have you got the ITB issue looked at by a professional? There are a number of issues which can act on the IT band and a wide variety of solutions depending on the underlying cause. Not saying you are wrong with your assumption but just it might be a good idea to try and get to the bottom of the cause.

Hi Ecoli,

Thanks for the response. I was going to physio last year with the knee and she got me through two marathons with a lot of dry needling but like a fool I didn't heed her warnings to use exercises to strengthen the glutes. It all came crashing down in London this year and I had to limp / walk after 14 miles and couldn't run for months afterwards. She gave me the insoles last year but I only started using them in the last few months. I should also add that she refused to dry needle me before London and told me not to do it.

Basically when I stand on one leg and squat the knee bends inwards a lot. If I stand on the insole and do the same thing the effect is reduced (not removed). There's a guy called John Foster in Santry. Supposed to be very good at this sort of thing. Maybe I should head out but it is far from where I work and maybe I'll just end up spending a lot of time / money to be told something I already know. Since I started using insoles (three months ago) I haven't had any problems but this month will be a big mileage month for me (as well as next month of course). Last thing I want is to get that dreaded pain back again in October.

Cheers,
    Gumby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi Ecoli,

Thanks for the response. I was going to physio last year with the knee and she got me through two marathons with a lot of dry needling but like a fool I didn't heed her warnings to use exercises to strengthen the glutes. It all came crashing down in London this year and I had to limp / walk after 14 miles and couldn't run for months afterwards. She gave me the insoles last year but I only started using them in the last few months. I should also add that she refused to dry needle me before London and told me not to do it.

Basically when I stand on one leg and squat the knee bends inwards a lot. If I stand on the insole and do the same thing the effect is reduced (not removed). There's a guy called John Foster in Santry. Supposed to be very good at this sort of thing. Maybe I should head out but it is far from where I work and maybe I'll just end up spending a lot of time / money to be told something I already know. Since I started using insoles (three months ago) I haven't had any problems but this month will be a big mileage month for me (as well as next month of course). Last thing I want is to get that dreaded pain back again in October.

Cheers,
    Gumby

These two points really stand out and (without giving medical advice) is something you should look at. IMO the orthotics will not fix the underlying issue so I think it might be worth getting it sorted. There are a number of therapists/physio's around possibly closer to your area that may be able to help also.

I would also look to flexibility in the glutes.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

ecoli wrote: »
    These two points really stand out and (without giving medical advice) is something you should look at. IMO the orthotics will not fix the underlying issue so I think it might be worth getting it sorted. There are a number of therapists/physio's around possibly closer to your area that may be able to help also.

I would also look to flexibility in the glutes.

Best of luck with it

Gumby, sounds like base underlying strength is an issue. The orthotics should be supporting your foot so when you do your exercises you are limiting the over extension of the supporting muscles, controlling their range. Build up this strength in the feet and lower legs by doing barefoot squats so your feet are encouraged to find their own balance points.

Once you find your feet strengthening you can look to wean off the orthotics and develop full kinetic chain strength.

Impact messages to the brain and supporting muscles are triggered by the feet, look after them and everything will follow from there.

Thats just forum talk though, the sports clinic out there is well supported with professionals, worth a consultation & time to consider the information gleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Hi Ecoli,

Cheers,
    Gumby

How often are you doing these exercises now?
    No point in going to another physio unless you have tried to follow what the first one said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement