Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage/ Shiet smell Castaheany Ongar Blanc

Options
  • 28-08-2013 6:12pm

Whats the deal with the hideous smell? Smells like silage or something as putrid in the air, can smell it up in Ongar village too.

Anyone know where its coming from

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Silage doesn't have a putrid/****e smell. Far from it. To me a handful of freshly opened silage smells quite like tobasco.
    What you are possibly smelling is slurry of some kind. The difference between the two is the digestive tract of a cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Farming "organic stuff" around Clonee Village, on the back road to Lucan / Leixlip !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Could smell it up in Mulhuddart earlier too... up at the community centre so up further than the village.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just been up at the Centre. The stench up there is appalling.

I tend to have the windows and back door open all day. The gaff smells rank now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

It's slurry alright, and not uncommon....it's spread at this time of year in advance of winter for a good spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah but it was really bad last evening, and it didnt smell much like regular silage, I came up the back road with the windows open and got stuck behind some cyclists so it stank! Even checked my shoes when I got out of the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Noticed the smell too, its been rotten for the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I remember years ago when Keepak used to spread blood on the fields the smell was terrible for days. Maybe it could be that again also especially when it hadn't rained for a while.

Mentioned in the below links.
    http://www.epa.ie/licences/lic_eDMS/090151b280041d9b.pdf

This link mentions complaints about the odurs also.
    http://www.epa.ie/licences/lic_eDMS/090151b280183414.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I wonder has this smell also led to an increase in flies in the area? I've had the windows wide open during the daytime the last few days since the weather improved again and a lot of flies have entered my house. I didn't experience this during earlier fine weather this summer when the windows would also have been open.:(

• Advertisement

Warmer day today, opened windows when got home, home now smells like dogsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

We need Johnson Mooney & O'Brien to start baking some bread and get that smell to negate it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My sense of smell must be gone. i haven't noticed a bad smell anytime this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah but it was really bad last evening, and it didnt smell much like regular silage, I came up the back road with the windows open and got stuck behind some cyclists so it stank! Even checked my shoes when I got out of the car!

Cows were on the Guinness.

Jesus H Christ on a bike, I cant even have my windows open, the house smells like a barn :(

We badly need rain to wash it into the land, very little except a few showers on the forecast until the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I could smell it last night in Tyrrelstown, had to keep the windows closed in the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

Does anyone know what/where the source of the smell is?

Vahevala wrote: »
    I could smell it last night in Tyrrelstown, had to keep the windows closed in the end :(

I know the feeling. My house stank yesterday. I actually started feeling quite nauseous, not sure if it was related, but it certainly didnt help.
    As Labre said we, need a good rain to wash it into the soil. no chance of that today . hate to wish for rain on days like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

What I find odd is that it comes and goes and can be really rank when it is around. No smell today, thankfully.

• Advertisement

I could smell it today on the back road from Ongar to Clonee but in Castaheany I couldn't smell it at all
    It was quite windy this evening so that could have sent it off as different direction.

yay, a reprieve today, luckily :)))

I was so happy that I could open the windows again in Tyrrelstown :)

me too, the house feels aired out again , phew.:)

Larbre34 wrote: »
    We badly need rain to wash it into the land, very little except a few showers on the forecast until the weekend.

No because that washes it into rivers, killing wildlife.
    That's why it's spread on dry spells.
    Sure it's only a smell, your olfactory receptors get used to it after a while and then you don't pick it up, it's still around the area.

It is unbearable tonight, seriously makes me feel like puking. :(

Frankly screw the wildlife, i'm not planning on fishing locally soon. And my olfactory perceptions are just fine, in fact they seem renewed daily. Heavy rain due tomorrow, bring it on.

Fecking smell back last few days, this morning really damn bad. ive just moved over this side, was this smell around last year or previous years? is it normal for the area

Walked up to Ongar Village, place is stinking.
    :(

That smell is around every year since as back as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm in the area 9 years, and I only ever remember it once before, and nothing like as bad as this year. I was up in Damastown today and it was pretty bad up there.

Advertisement