Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage/ Shiet smell Castaheany Ongar Blanc

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ciaran76 wrote: »
    That smell is around every year since as back as I remember.

Interestingly this is the first year I've noticed it having lived here 8 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

ongarboy wrote: »
    Interestingly this is the first year I've noticed it having lived here 8 years!

I lived in Clonsilla before Clonee since 1986 and always remembered the smell as when we were kids we used to hang up in the old farmers barn and around where the old water tower was and always recall that smell.
    When I moved to Clonee in 2005 a neighbour of mine commented on it at the time as she only moved here from the South side and was shocked.

I reckon it could be to do with the weather and wind as well.

The reason I was able to pull the Keepak stuff up in the above posts as a neighbour of mine sent that to me in 2008 or there abouts.

Its has been mentioned on here before too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61968221

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

The smell is slurry. Its basically cattle s**t which is stored in slurry tanks and then gathered up, mixed with water and spread on the land. It's the ultimate fertilizer and is used to enrich the soil so that the grass will grow well for the following year. The smell should be gone in a day or two. The reason the smell comes and goes is down to the wind direction on the day.

sparky28 wrote: »
    The smell is slurry. Its basically cattle s**t which is stored in slurry tanks and then gathered up, mixed with water and spread on the land. It's the ultimate fertilizer and is used to enrich the soil so that the grass will grow well for the following year. The smell should be gone in a day or two. The reason the smell comes and goes is down to the wind direction on the day.

The smell had been around for weeks though. Some days are just worse than others. Really worse than others :) in that you cant leave windows or doors open.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Been living in the area for 17yrs now and I've regularly noticed the smell around this time of year, but its never been as bad.

Going up to Ongar in the car its awful, I haven't gotten out of the car though so I don't know the full effect of it. Last week I went to Tyrrelstown heading to Aurora and soon as we got out of the Taxi I was fit to vomit on the street and had to cover my mouth and nose until we were indoors. It was vile, and it didn't have that 'country clean' slurry smell, it was a noxious rancid smell with a sh1te undertone :( Thankfully it wasn't bad inside the restaurant, it was just a lingering note of it from that faded quickly, but I felt for them doing food business with that putrid stomach turning air outside.

I've been hearing suggestions from neighbours that its possibly pig slurry which smells worse than cow, or even that its animal blood mixed in with it which gives off the particularly fetid stink. Thankfully this morning its grand, here's hoping that it won't be so bad with the weather turning colder and damp.

• Advertisement

KGLady wrote: »

It was vile, and it didn't have that 'country clean' slurry smell, it was a noxious rancid smell with a sh1te undertone :(

Love the description, thats exactly what it is!!! :D

Advertisement