Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lack of broadcast news re sailing events this week

• 28-08-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭

From watching & Listening to the sport news on the "national" broadcaster" over the last few days they seem to have given total neglect to the fact that three big international sailing events are taking place in ireland at present. Two in dublin one in cork and they have not given any mention to any of them but seem to stick to the majority sports and seem to be just looking for stories in those sports.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

neris wrote: »
    From watching & Listening to the sport news on the "national" broadcaster" over the last few days they seem to have given total neglect to the fact that three big international sailing events are taking place in ireland at present. Two in dublin one in cork and they have not given any mention to any of them but seem to stick to the majority sports and seem to be just looking for stories in those sports.

And don't forget that one of those events is an official gathering event!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think it's a shame, firstly for the sport, but also for the clubs facilitating the events.

You'd never know there was a world champs going on in Howth this week, the organisation has been excellent.

Sailing may not be a spectator sport, but it's one we are not bad at.

Publicising it more might also encourage more participation.

I was very surprised at the IT as they had the DL regatta on their front page, yet I've seen nothing about any of the events this week publicised by them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Stheno wrote: »
    I think it's a shame, firstly for the sport, but also for the clubs facilitating the events.

You'd never know there was a world champs going on in Howth this week, the organisation has been excellent.

Sailing may not be a spectator sport, but it's one we are not bad at.

Publicising it more might also encourage more participation.

I was very surprised at the IT as they had the DL regatta on their front page, yet I've seen nothing about any of the events this week publicised by them

J24s were pictured on I think page 5 of the IT on tuesday. They sent out a photographer specifically for it. Gallery is linked to on homepage of worlds site.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

Yeah, BD is on holiday, he would push it a bit more... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This morning I emailed the following to Morning Ireland

<I just heard the sports news at 8.30am - lots of topics covered, including the defeat of the cricket team.

Not a single mention, however, of the storming success underway in Dublin Bay - Annelise Murphy, our sailing Olympian, is beating all around her in the Laser World Championships - yet not a single word about it.

What does sailing have to do to have our (many!) successess covered???

XXXXX, Dublin>

I couldn't believe when I heard the sports news - not a dickie bird about Annelise trouncing all around her, yet the cricket (another minority sport) got nearly (if not) top billing.

GRRRRRRRR!

Needless to say, not a mention was made :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hah, she made the 8.30 bulletin this morning.

I wonder if I can claim credit :D:D

Best of luck, Annelise!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Congratulations to Annalise Murphy and Finn Lynch in the Lasers today :)

Delighted for Annalise, I remember following her in the Olympics last year and the last day :(

Lot of coverage as the week progressed due to their prominence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

and how about the Europeans happening at the mo...well the last three days anyway

Advertisement