Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Kirby wrote: »
    I see that as 36 euro. Where did you see it for 30? A discount code?

It must have changed since

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just two small tidbits that a known reviewer gave out on Neogaf
    Two things if anyone could confirm:

1) As you get new equipment(head, body,weapon) it will be reflected visually in game?(I love customizing my look in RPGs)

2) Has it been confirmed this game is 20+ hours long AT LEAST with all side quests included?
    1. Absolutely everything is visualized in the game and some of the weapons and costumes are hilarious.

2. I spent almost 16 hrs, but it can be done quicker.

First 15 mins of the game here as well, including create your character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

IGN just posted their review on Facebook but the link is broken! Actually quite anxious to see how this does critically.

Reviewers are a load of bollox.

Most have a vested interest in the game one way or another. Basing your game choices off reviews is not something I recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

irishmover wrote: »
    Reviewers are a load of bollox.

Most have a vested interest in the game one way or another. Basing your game choices off reviews is not something I recommend.

Quite a sweeping statement to say they're a load of bollox, I've often found them very helpful especially when you can't afford to be buying dud games. And regarding South Park, I think it still has the potential to be a total flop as well as a masterpiece so reviews help to indicate which end of the scale it fell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Quite a sweeping statement to say they're a load of bollox, I've often found them very helpful especially when you can't afford to be buying dud games. And regarding South Park, I think it still has the potential to be a total flop as well as a masterpiece so reviews help to indicate which end of the scale it fell on.

Unless you've come across a reviewer who you know for certain isn't funded to give a bias review, has given reviews of games in the past that you've completely agreed with it's not the best idea to follow every word a reviewer says.

Particularly IGN.

I'd sooner trust the collective opinion of the player base than anyone who reviews games as a full time job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

When is the embargo over? Why do they even exist?

Grimebox wrote: »

00.01 PST, so just over 9 hours away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,798 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To protect games from negative publicity. BS of course but it won't stop them trying and it certainly won't stop them flooding the market with crap.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

In the morning.

Mainly it is to ensure all the reviews arrive at a good time for the game to create buzz or momentum.

Lol, love how he is happy to take the piss out of himself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I havent looked at any videos of this... but its turn based so no, not for me. I do enjoy obsidian bugs though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Review embargo is up and the scores are looking good. Reviews say pretty much what you'd expect. Seems a solid but fairly straightforward RPG with the shows humour and storytelling spot on.

I am excite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

so is this available on Steam today?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I thought it was available in Ireland next Friday, but I logged into the Steam webpage and it says it's available now. I'm not sure if it just thinks that I'm in the US though, and I'm not near my machine that has the Steam Client installed, so can't check. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Have we agreed where is the cheapest place to buy in on PC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

humanji wrote: »
    I thought it was available in Ireland next Friday, but I logged into the Steam webpage and it says it's available now. I'm not sure if it just thinks that I'm in the US though, and I'm not near my machine that has the Steam Client installed, so can't check. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah it appears to be available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Time to get myself fired so I can go home early!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Review:
    "This game is super cereal" - Al Gore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Burgo wrote: »
    Yeah it appears to be available now.

Not for me it isn't. Steam doesn't seem quite sure of its state. The store entry doesn't have the "this will unlock in....", but the library entry won't move on from preload.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

$59.99 on steam seems a bit steep to me, will most likely be available for €40 for a boxed version on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

$59.99 on steam seems a bit steep to me, will most likely be available for €40 for a boxed version on Friday.

€37 here.
    http://www.g2play.net/category/2954/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-steam-key/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

€34 cd-key on amazon.co.uk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

RPS review - it's John Walker so the usual tiresome discussion of offensive content to be expected (although to be fair I think he has a point in this case). It seems to be the usual buggy mess from Obsidian and has some problems that would concern me as a PC only gamer so I'll be putting off buying for now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

mewso wrote: »
    RPS review - it's John Walker so the usual tiresome discussion of offensive content to be expected (although to be fair I think he has a point in this case). It seems to be the usual buggy mess from Obsidian and has some problems that would concern me as a PC only gamer so I'll be putting off buying for now.
    South Park having foul language and offensivce content? Who would have thought... Next up in today's gaming news the Mario brothers are going to rescue Princess Peach again in the next Mario game!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Nody wrote: »
    South Park having foul language and offensivce content? Who would have thought... Next up in today's gaming news the Mario brothers are going to rescue Princess Peach again in the next Mario game!

Well thats not the point being made. Have a read of it. Walker annoys me a lot but as I said I think it's a fair point he is making in this case. I would not be offended but I would be irritated by offensive content thrown in because, you know, South Park and that. Have some anal probing from episode x at some random point in the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fair game for criticism in that regard, TBH. From episode to episode, and even within a single episode, South Park can jump between worthy, intelligent provocation and empty, empty shock humour. It's been a few years since I last watched the show, but I did partially stop because of that maddening inconsistency. When they want to, Parker and Stone can actually be cleverly satirical while amusingly pushing the boundaries of taste. Sometimes, they can be crudely funny. Other times, just crude. A few reviews seem to indicate Stick of Truth falls into the latter category a lot, and it's always welcome to hear reactions from people who aren't long-time South Park devotees.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

mewso wrote: »

What are the problems concerning PC only gamers that you speak of? Im trying to decide between PC and console myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It looks like pretty much every character and storyline every seen in the series makes an appearance or is referenced at some point, the anal probing was funny in that they used it to put a satellite into Cartman and later used this storyline again to have Earth as the most popular reality show in the galaxy getting cancelled, I would imagine the censorship for video games is lighter than that of the FCC for TV in America, so this really is a chance for them to let go big time.

Advertisement