Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Taylor365 wrote: »
    €34 cd-key on amazon.co.uk

This one is it? I can't seem to purchase it at all, the address trick does not seem to work as it does on the .com site.

Anyone know how to make a successful purchase?

• Spear wrote: »
    Not for me it isn't. Steam doesn't seem quite sure of its state. The store entry doesn't have the "this will unlock in....", but the library entry won't move on from preload.

Can somebody confirm the above please? Has it unlocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Can somebody confirm the above please? Has it unlocked?

Not for me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

What are the problems concerning PC only gamers that you speak of? Im trying to decide between PC and console myself.

No graphics options, keyboard won't work with gamepad plugged in. Other issues he mentions might be on consoles too. Tutorial section seems to be completely broken, first 6 hours or so terrible, combat far too easy, repetitive shouts. I appreciate RPS at times like this when the choir is out in full voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

• Advertisement

• mewso wrote: »
    No graphics options, keyboard won't work with gamepad plugged in. Other issues he mentions might be on consoles too. Tutorial section seems to be completely broken, first 6 hours or so terrible, combat far too easy, repetitive shouts. I appreciate RPS at times like this when the choir is out in full voice.

Reading here, turn the game difficulty up to Hardcore

Some nice tips for getting the best out of the game below;

http://levelsave.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-tips/

Apologies above link may contain slight spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Reading here, turn the game difficulty up to Hardcore

Some nice tips for getting the best out of the game below;

http://levelsave.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-tips/

Oh My God, you can get
    plastic Surgery to get the Hoff face!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

mewso wrote: »

What I find odd is that that's the only review that mentions most of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

marco_polo wrote: »
    This one is it? I can't seem to purchase it at all, the address trick does not seem to work as it does on the .com site.

Anyone know how to make a successful purchase?
    xD

''This item will be released on 7 March 2014 at 00:00 (UK local time - GMT/BST)

But you're not US so you're not allowed buy it :P'', Amazon.

Why f**king advertise it on co.uk and in pounds then? Beggars belief....

• humanji wrote: »
    If people are unsure considering Obisdian's Fallout NV was a buggy mess when released, just be patient and wait for patch.
    I know it's not exceptable but I'm not suprised it has tech issues given there history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

humanji wrote: »

I'm sure the author isn't lying about that though. I only read the first paragraph. I could see exactly where it was going and as I glanced down the article I seen it contained a lot of spoilers so I stopped reading.

The first paragraph gave me the indication that the author has it in for Obsidian so I wasn't gonna waste my time.

That's the most I've read of any review yet. Will allow myself to judge the game when I get it thursday (Wednesday night in Europe) and experience it for myself without some guys opinion of it etched in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Being South Park really carries the game and lets them get away with so much that you wouldn't let any other game away with. Clearly made by people that know games and know their audience rather than being a great game, it is a very very enjoyable one and that's the main thing.

My hate for turn based combat was demolished by one line delivered by Cartman during the tutorial. They do this a lot.

irishmover wrote: »
    I'm sure the author isn't lying about that though. I only read the first paragraph. I could see exactly where it was going and as I glanced down the article I seen it contained a lot of spoilers so I stopped reading.

The first paragraph gave me the indication that the author has it in for Obsidian so I wasn't gonna waste my time.

That's the most I've read of any review yet. Will allow myself to judge the game when I get it thursday (Wednesday night in Europe) and experience it for myself without some guys opinion of it etched in my mind.

Well I don't doubt that he's telling the truth, i just find it odd that no other reviewer mentioned such important things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Well I don't doubt that he's telling the truth, i just find it odd that no other reviewer mentioned such important things.

Are they PC reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

I used a VPN to unlock it so I'm currently playing it now.
    No graphics options

This is true, there are no graphics options bar resolution. Given the aesthetic of the game though I don't see why this is a problem. It looks just like the cartoon and will run on practically any modern PC. Adding filtering and post processing options would probably take away from the graphical style they were setting out to achieve.
    keyboard won't work with gamepad plugged in

This is only half true. If you have a gamepad attached you can't use the keyboard to control the character (why would you want to though?). You can still use the keyboard for sections where you need to type though (like when Cartman asks you your name.)
    Tutorial section seems to be completely broken, first 6 hours or so terrible, combat far too easy, repetitive shouts.

I'm only around 2 hours in so I can't comment fully on these issues, but I've had no problems with any of the tutorials so far and I've been really enjoying the game. I'll see how I feel in a few hours though.

irishmover wrote: »
    Are they PC reviews?
    PC Gamer didn't really mention any cons at all. Very strange. And considering what 3wayswitch says, maybe RPS was just unlucky. I'll guess I'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

3wayswitch wrote: »
    I used a VPN to unlock it so I'm currently playing it now.

Id be careful with this on Steam, they have been known to take pretty severe action against people who use VPNs to get around release dates or install region specific games

VinLieger wrote: »
    Id be careful with this on Steam, they have been known to take pretty severe action against people who use VPNs to get around release dates or install region specific games

AFAIK they've only taken action against people who use VPNs to bypass regional pricing. While using a VPN to unlock a game early is against their T&Cs I don't think they've ever done anything to anyone who did it as long as you bought the game legitimately.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

VinLieger wrote: »

For the latter definitely (including bypassing the store/suspicious gifting of region specific keys etc) you could lose your account, but I don't think I have ever heard of anybody getting pinged for the former.

Of course is at your own risk as it is against the EULA/T&C. but I don't really think Valve are all that bothered about it once you bought it in the correct region and really it would be exceptionally difficult to prove anyway.

EDIT: Way too slow typing, well beaten to the punch :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Fair game for criticism in that regard, TBH. From episode to episode, and even within a single episode, South Park can jump between worthy, intelligent provocation and empty, empty shock humour. It's been a few years since I last watched the show, but I did partially stop because of that maddening inconsistency. When they want to, Parker and Stone can actually be cleverly satirical while amusingly pushing the boundaries of taste. Sometimes, they can be crudely funny. Other times, just crude. A few reviews seem to indicate Stick of Truth falls into the latter category a lot, and it's always welcome to hear reactions from people who aren't long-time South Park devotees.

You make it sound like vicious anal-rape isn't the epitome of sophisticated humour :pac:

Tbh, the real problem with the series I think is the 7 day turnaround. Lots of episodes feel very rushed and not funny as a result. I reckon this will either be hilarious or a tired rethread through the series past. I did groan a bit when I saw they redid the Mr Hankie's dysfunctional marriage bit in one trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Taylor365 wrote: »
    xD

''This item will be released on 7 March 2014 at 00:00 (UK local time - GMT/BST)

But you're not US so you're not allowed buy it :P'', Amazon.

Why f**king advertise it on co.uk and in pounds then? Beggars belief....

Where does it say that? For me it says: "Online Code: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United Kingdom and who have a UK invoice address".

Still stupid though that it is region restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Where does it say that? For me it says: "Online Code: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United Kingdom and who have a UK invoice address".

Still stupid though that it is region restricted.

Blame the brick and mortar stores for that, they push the publishers to restrict release days to the traditional tuesdays for the US and fridays for everywhere else even if they are being distributed digitally, its ****ing moronic but unfortunately they still have leverage in this regard

mewso wrote: »
    RPS review - it's John Walker so the usual tiresome discussion of offensive content to be expected (although to be fair I think he has a point in this case). It seems to be the usual buggy mess from Obsidian and has some problems that would concern me as a PC only gamer so I'll be putting off buying for now.

I read that and thought horseplops to the whole thing. Seems to moan for the sake of it.

Is not being able to control your character with the keyboard at the same time you want to control him with a gamepad really an issue worth mentioning?

Is not having an option to improve the graphics for a game that will look just the same on high settings as low setting really an issue?

The game is 25 hours long of course there will be bits that don't work, or just don't fit. You are creating 25 hours of content so what if they reuse some its 25 hours!!!!! Is that really an issue?

As for getting offended? **** off. Being puerile, childish and offensive is South park's charm it is why the intelligent, thoughtful and provoking stuff carries so much weight.

I think he means options like resolution and v-sync and whatnot, which should absolutely be in the game no matter how pared down its aesthetic is.

Also it shouldn't matter how long a game is, it should work regardless.

I don't know why people get so irate over reviews. It seems a perfectly balanced and reasonable critique of the game. He seemed to like it even. And he's actually played it, whereas we've not.

snausages wrote: »
    I think he means options like resolution and v-sync and whatnot, which should absolutely be in the game no matter how pared down its aesthetic is.

I don't know why people get so irate over reviews. It seems a perfectly balanced and reasonable critique of the game. He seemed to like it even. And he's actually played it, whereas we've not.

But it looks amazing as it is. It is designed to look just like an episode. You could have the biggest PC in the world with ten graphics cards this game will only ever look like you are watching an episode. That is how it is designed. Why include settings that do nothing?

I have played a good chunk of it and he seems to just not "get" portions and writes them off as not working.

I'm not talking about the game mechanics not working or being broken, i'm taking about a joke falling flat (ie the joke or section did not work). In 25 hours you can expect some jokes to not be funny in the way they were intended to be. I don't think that is a fair criticism at all.

But at least this wasn't a review, it was an opinion piece which to his credit he seems to be one of the few who can tell the difference. I'm sick to death of reviewers giving me their opinion. I don't know them, I don't care what they felt the game was like, I can draw no reference from that.

The game has resolution options.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But at least this wasn't a review, it was an opinion piece which to his credit he seems to be one of the few who can tell the difference. I'm sick to death of reviewers giving me their opinion.

:confused:

Any decent review would and should combine a fair and balanced critique with the writer's own personal response. A review that just blandly lists pluses and negatives is not something I have any interest in reading, frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

3wayswitch wrote: »
    AFAIK they've only taken action against people who use VPNs to bypass regional pricing. While using a VPN to unlock a game early is against their T&Cs I don't think they've ever done anything to anyone who did it as long as you bought the game legitimately.

Which region is it released in? Are you playing through steam?

It has a resolutions option and the frame rate locked at 30FPS to mimic the look and feel of the animated show, I'm really not sure what other graphics options you'd actually need for a game like this.

I'll give him the key-bindings though, thats really a very basic usability feature to overlook (Not everyone can use default WASD centric controls for various reasons).

• Advertisement

Yeah, reviews are opinion pieces. I think with this game especially it's important to get as much a variety of opinions as possible from both fans and non-fans. I hate the suggestion on some sites that only avid fans should be allowed to review it. As Cartman would say that's f**king retarded.

Advertisement