Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crack in Chimney

Options
  • 28-08-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for advice on how to deal with this issue. My neighbour approached me earlier to say he had a crack on his side of the chimney. When he lights a fire his hotpress fills with smoke (yikes).

He is getting it looked at this weekend and has said he would like to go halves with me. Now here is the rub, its on his side, my side is fine, no issues at all. I am thinking he is looking to just split the cost because its a shared chimney but surely I shouldn't have to pay if its not my side.

EDIT: Should also mention I bought house a few months ago so thinking he might be trying it on.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I wouldn't be paying. I think he has some nerve actually.

As far as I'm concerned its no more a shared chimney than a shared roof.

If he called in asking you to split the costs because he has a leak from broken tiles on his part of the roof youd tell him where to go, I don't see this as any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Thanks D3PO

He said the guy wants to remove pebble dash and fix it and re pebble dash, he can do half but it will look crap, so reckons he should do my side too.

I don't have two shillings to rub together at the moment, like everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Am I missing something here.....I presume it's a semi-d/terrace type property with 2 flues running in a common chimney along the party wall.

The issue is when he lights his fire it fills his house with smoke? An wants you to pay? Can't blame the guy for trying I suppose? Just make sure smoke isn't coming into your house too when he lights a fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Huggles wrote: »
    Thanks D3PO

He said the guy wants to remove pebble dash and fix it and re pebble dash, he can do half but it will look crap, so reckons he should do my side too.

If he ha smoke coming into his hotpress he has much bigger issue than the pebble dash on the external of the stack as his liner is obviously cracked.

I would advise you to get a camera survey of your own flue to make sure it is ok before using in case there was a fire that damaged both

Huggles wrote: »
    Thanks D3PO

well if he thinks it will look crap hes more than welcome to pay for the whole thing to be re pebbledashed im sure you wont complain but its not your bill to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If it is a shared chimney stack and it has a structural problem it will effect the OP. This would be a cost you should share

What is likely is the lining in the chimney is broken which isn't a big deal to get redone.

Age of the property is a big factor here. The chimney damage may actually be a result of the OPs side putting pressure on his neighbours side.

Keep the line of communication open and establish what the full problem is before refusing to pay anything.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    If it is a shared chimney stack and it has a structural problem it will effect the OP. .

It may effect the OP but it hasn't. It maybe a shared stack but it will have separate flues with separate liners etc.

The OP has no issues and the neighbor having smoke come into their hotpress cannot in my estimation be a shared issue and I wouldn't entertain anybody who came to my door telling me otherwise.

I had a leak in my chimney a few years ago, water was actually leaking through the brickwork into my attic. Id have wanted to have balls of steel to go next door and try and bill my neighbor for half the cost of the repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

D3PO wrote: »
    It may effect the OP but it hasn't. It maybe a shared stack but it will have separate flues with separate liners etc.

The OP has no issues and the neighbor having smoke come into their hotpress cannot in my estimation be a shared issue and I wouldn't entertain anybody who came to my door telling me otherwise.

I had a leak in my chimney a few years ago, water was actually leaking through the brickwork into my attic. Id have wanted to have balls of steel to go next door and try and bill my neighbor for half the cost of the repair.

I am not suggesting it is definitely the OPs problem. It is worth making sure it is not an issue that effects both. I certainly wouldn't be aggressive about saying anything as some posters are suggesting.

The OP being not aware of the effects is not the same as saying there isn't a problem that will effect the OP at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Tell him you are broke after buy and don't see how you are responsable for it. It could well be that he had a fire in chimmey that cuased the crack in the first place. Not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I know there was a fire years and years ago, caused by his family member. (I bought house off my family member)
    Tell him you are broke after buy and don't see how you are responsable for it. It could well be that he had a fire in chimmey that cuased the crack in the first place. Not your problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement