Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a decent amount of study time?

• 28-08-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Just returned to school today and this is the big year, my leaving cert. I honestly feel like it's going to be hell for the next year but whatever. What I'm wondering is, is this sufficient study: I leave school at 3:45 and am usually home by 4:00, so I was thinking of studying from 4pm to 6.30pm, sometimes 7pm each evening. Do you think this is sufficient?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Depends, how many points you looking for? But really, no. You probably won't get started bang on four every day and from what I remember you'd be doing well to get all your homework done in that time. As a gauge I studied half 4 till half 6, then dinner, then from 7 until half 9. For fifth and sixth year. But I was a bit of a twat in secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Depends, how many points you looking for?

I need to get over 380 for my desired college course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My tutor in school always said an hours study for every 100 points you want. But it depends on how quite you learn. I learnt all of all geo essays after my mocks mid feb( i got a A2 and took up the subject this year). But biology I put hundreds of hours ( i guess about 700-900 hours over 3 years and got a B1). But just set your self targets and forget about a time table. Make a decent list of everything you want to study and dont stop till you do it. I went to a library( it was across the road from my school) so I had zero distractions.

Fine out what works for you and **** what your teachers and friends are doing, as everyone learns differently

I think setting targets is probably a better idea! As I just started back I haven't a clue where to even start, but I'm sure I'll get in the swing of things soon enough. Thank you both for answering btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Shane15 wrote: »
    I think setting targets is probably a better idea! As I just started back I haven't a clue where to even start, but I'm sure I'll get in the swing of things soon enough. Thank you both for answering btw!

Its not a bad amount of study! I think you would be fine to do those hours during the week if you did more at the weekend but if you are planning to relax at the weekend /take afternoon off then you will need to add a few more hours in the evenings. Maybe start with your current plan while you get settled in and after time add an extra hour every evening if you have more homework etc

• Advertisement

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Its not a bad amount of study! I think you would be fine to do those hours during the week if you did more at the weekend but if you are planning to relax at the weekend /take afternoon off then you will need to add a few more hours in the evenings. Maybe start with your current plan while you get settled in and after time add an extra hour every evening if you have more homework etc

How long do you think I should study on the weekend if I was to do those hours during the week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Shane15 wrote: »
    How long do you think I should study on the weekend if I was to do those hours during the week?

well i actually did those same hours, it varied every weekend but i did at least 1-6 on saturday (taking breaks of course) , if i wasn't going out that night i might do a few more hours if i was babysitting and on sunday the same 1-6 and maybe a few hours 7-9 ,depending on if i had essays to finish etc , i spent alot of that time doing essays and homework not just study but then i would take a whole day off every now and then , a party / friends on a saturday or sunday , its different for everyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

How much homework are you expecting to get each night? Because if you're doing all your homework surely that only leaves 30-60 minutes for study? I used to set separate timeframes for homework and study, for example in Leaving Cert I would've been aiming for 2 40 minutes blocks of study (2 different subjects) per night, after all homework was complete.

Edit: I also tried to complete all homework for the weekend on Friday evening to ensure I would do a few hours study on both Saturday and Sunday, I had to be quite disciplined as I loved a long lie-in on weekend mornings so I would study one morning and sleep in the other morning each weekend! You just need to find a routine that works and stick to it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It varies from person to person. I did an average of 45 mins to an hours work per day (bare minimum homework) and 2 hours at the weekend usually (Irish essay, maths homework, other bits and bobs).

I did a study week the week before the exams (9 til 4) I ended up getting 500 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Yeah it's more than enough. Did nothing all year last year only the minimum and a few hours a day for the last few weeks and got 415 points.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will see how this goes and may adjust it as time goes on.

Advertisement